Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost but this was interesting.

I wonder how much(or for how long) makes for overuse of HQ/RA?

..Article is here (link below)

Celibre Blog - All posts tagged 'retin a'

photo BEFORE

AFTER overuse

there's also this Ochronosis pic

I'll quote the article here but the format is better & more readable at the blog.

Quote: Originally Posted by

Ethnic Skin and the use of Hydroquinone

Although hydroquinone (HQ) has been the mainstay ingredient in products that are known to lighten and fade brown facial discoloration and Melasma, there are some very valid concerns regarding the potential for overusage.

Hydroquinone is available in over the counter products up to 2% concentration. Prescription strengths (or cosmeceuticals) may typically come in 4 to 8% or higher formulations.

We have long been concerned over the lack of discretion and monitoring provided to patients that are using hydroquinone products. The concern is that prolonged use or use of this strong ingredient in high percentages may lead to irreversible skin changes. More concerning with extended use and overuse is the possible link with certain cancers. Before becoming too alarmed, these potential adverse events are generally viewed by most experts as being small in comparison to the well known benefits hydroquinone offers….when used safely.

Negative side effects which are much more common and seen in our practice usually involve medium to darker skin types. For example, many patients come to us after following a regimen of retinoids and hydroquinone (provided at other medical offices) to fade pigmentation associated with stretch marks, melasma, or sun spots. Often, these patients are not provided with basic education about the side effects of hydroquinone nor monitored for how their skin responds to this treatment regimen. Therefore, it is not unusual to see a worsening of the condition or even an entirely different, negative response.

Celibre Medical Los Angeles Melasma Treatments.

Los Angeles Melasma Treatment Free Consultations.

overuse of hydroquinone and Retin A before picture overuse of hydroquinone and Retin A after picture

Los Angeles Melasma Before and After Photos.

Darkening of cheeks and forehead with overuse of Retin A and Hydroquinone.

When skin is in a prolonged state of irritation, as can happen with overusage of retinoids and hydroquinone, it not only “hangs onto” pigmentation, it may also worsen the condition by developing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (redness or brown discoloration associated with an inflamed skin and tissue response.) This then creates a cycle wherein the patient uses more product to counteract what is happening but only worsens the situation. This is commonly seen in those that are medium to darker skin types.

A far more concerning adverse outcome would be an uncommon, but very serious, condition called ochronosis. This presents as a grayish or dark discoloration that develops as a result of permanent damage to the skin linked to over-use of hydroquinone products.

ochronosis

Ochronosis - Emedicine/Medscape.

In summary, hydroquinone is a good option for all skin types when used in conjunction with safe protocols, monitoring by the one dispensing the product, and good patient education. If one is not tolerating topical products for the purpose of fading brown discoloration, class IV medical lasers may be a good option.

Lori Haney, RN, MEP-C

Certified Medical Laser Safety Officer

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i wonder how sunscreen use factors in these effects?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
sunscreen use will most likely prevent any darkening that these people experienced, also it is important to note that the man's darkening was not that much different from his initial picture, just one side of his cheek but the rest of hte face seems the same, I dont know how he used hte products or if he used sunscreen but it sure seems like he didnt use the products the right way because if u use Retin-A, forget the HQ for a second, but Retin-A at night pea sized amount that would reverse any darkening the HQ may have caused.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Also, the second picture of hte woman and the dark mark around her mouth, I dont think it was the HQ b/c that looks purely hormonal, my mother had it too and as bad as that picture and she got rid of it by using hydroquinone 3% nadinola for a year.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks LNL... it's a frightening thought that the treatment could cause more harm.

I will still try the HQ & RA on my body's darker areas & watch closely for anything weird.

I have a feeling the man (even with the anonymity bar, he reminds me of Common..lol) didn't use sunscreen & hats. Or maybe he's allergic?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey guys, remember hq and ra takes alot from the skin. If u continue to keep overworking the skin, the end result would not be flawless skin but darkened and dehydrated skin. Wat u take out, you must put back in!!. Well moisturised skin is the beginning to a successful lightening regime. COLLAGEN, ELASTIN AND PLACENTA is excellant to feed the skin and keep the balance.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, remember hq and ra takes alot from the skin. If u continue to keep overworking the skin, the end result would not be flawless skin but darkened and dehydrated skin. Wat u take out, you must put back in!!. Well moisturised skin is the beginning to a successful lightening regime. COLLAGEN, ELASTIN AND PLACENTA is excellant to feed the skin and keep the balance.
What I'm wondering is (for the people who are doing RA & HQ, etc to change color only...they already have clear, even skin but simply want a different shade) :

How long can you actually do this safely? I'm assuming it's like tanning (has an expiration date) but maybe I'm wrong?

When you stop taking hits from the sun (tanners) or hits of the Ra/Hq/Sepiwhite (lighteners), You go back to your natural setpoint color, right?

Thanks to Mr Sun, I've gone to Estelle & Lauryn Hill-esque shades -

but without the tanning I'm back at my boring whatever brown.(I'm still working on my attitude about this..lol)

So if a person who likes being Michelle or Beyonce's (I'm using the Destiny's Child characters) color

but is naturally Kelly's color quits or cuts back on the RA & HQ then she reverts? Is there any permanent change?

Does this mean a lifetime regimen to maintain the milk choco or caramel color?

Wouldn't that overwork the skin over years like tanning taxes the skin to remain dark?

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just want to say that I'm not asking these questions to be a Debbie Downer.

I thought about this when I first saw the F & F site because there's a section where they seem to be saying that you can just choose a new skin color.

That's a wonderful angle for F & F (or any company) because one's locked into buying their product$ indefinitely but is it realistic and moreover is it safe for long-term use?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Unfortunately there is no skin whitening cream that is permanent. What i was trying to say ''put back wat u take out'' meaning, your skin can only handle so much. Lightening products, exfoliating,the sun, stress... takes a toll on your skin. Give it the proper nourishment it needs everyday and im sure it will handle anything you put on.some people can start their lightening regimen 2 times a day with no adverse effects, but given time they will. And some will not handle lightening their skin twice a day right from the start. Most people would love to apply a cream and wake up with a good complexion. Rushing it is not the proper way. I have practised fast skin lightening and that's all it was. Within days i got dark again. I never put enough moisture back in to keep it glowing, so this time round im taking it easy. It might be a slow process but a safe one!!. With proper care and mantainance you should be able to enjoy a lifetime of glowing skin.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you look closely at that man in the top two pictures, it just seems that his forehead and cheeks have darkened. Look again and you will notice that the darker areas are similar as in his before pictures. Because the rest of his face has lightened so much, those parts look like the stubborn sections which did not respond. I could be wrong though

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Thats absolutely true Karenannev, thank you for pointing that out, eventually after sticking to the treatment the darker areas blend it with the really light areas and then when you stop your skin color comes back with an even skin tone without the discolorations.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats absolutely true Karenannev, thank you for pointing that out, eventually after sticking to the treatment the darker areas blend it with the really light areas and then when you stop your skin color comes back with an even skin tone without the discolorations.
That's a relief to hear!
I need to start keeping a journal to remember all of these fine points & hints etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you look closely at that man in the top two pictures, it just seems that his forehead and cheeks have darkened. Look again and you will notice that the darker areas are similar as in his before pictures. Because the rest of his face has lightened so much, those parts look like the stubborn sections which did not respond. I could be wrong though
I don't know if I could agree. You could be wrong or I could but his skin looked fine in the before. Why mess with a good thing? Yes, there looks to be small, barely, freckles but that's about it. I'm scare now after seeing this to use such a high HQ and on top of the RA.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sorry if this is a repost but this was interesting.

I wonder how much(or for how long) makes for overuse of HQ/RA?

..Article is here (link below)

Celibre Blog - All posts tagged 'retin a'

photo BEFORE

AFTER overuse

there's also this Ochronosis pic

I'll quote the article here but the format is better & more readable at the blog.
thats why its banned! overuse is almost a given since its a temporary solution, consumers are going to keep using it indefinitely to try to stay light... but end up paradoxically darker over the years!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those pictures bring back a lot of memories. That is exactly what happened to my face. Especially the picture the last picture ot the bottom. That is why I would rather not use any product with HQ. And everything I pick up seem to have the HQ in it. I scarred me so bad that I was embrassed to come to work. It was exactly arond the bottom of my mouth and chin. I believe the sun reacted with HQ and left a nasty mark that has stayed with me. Now the mark has turned black. I have been using several things, so it has gradually lighten up.

My goal is to be able to lighten my face without the reddness. Once someone see that reddish tone to your face, they know instantly that you are bleaching. That really is sad. I want a naturally lighting process.

Any remedies will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
If you had the proper knowledge back when you used HQ during the day, it could have been prevented. HQ is supposed to be used with sunblock that has mexoryl XL, Mexoryl SX and with an spf of higher than 50, only european sunblocks have these and offer excellent protection against the sun. Also, if you used Retin-A from the start then whatever the sunscreen didnt get the Retin-a would have gotten rid of it as it rejuvenates and rapidly gets rid of old skin when used nightly.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
524 Posts
what shame, the cycle wherein the patient uses more hq product to "counteract what is happening but only worsens the situation. this is commonly seen in those that are medium to darker skin types."

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also had the same results with the HQ/RA combination. But funny enough, when I started using the RA alone (along with natural supplements) the hyperpigmentation started to clear up.
I did use sunscreen diligently, but the cheeks, and forehead did get darker.

I don't know if it is due to the fact that it is that I am olive skinned.
Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with you...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
In the photos the skin looked burned. It seems as if the people should have stopped use at the earliest signs of this hyperpigmentation, but it looked like they continued to use it even after their skin began to react negatively to it?

Thanks Eggo for the article.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts