Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of me is so excited! My creams have been shipped! The other little part of me is now nervous. I've stumbled across a few people on other sites saying that this combo made their skin darker
! These were people suffering from Melasma which I don't have, just sun damage. Hopefully this condition is totally different to just sun damage and that's why their skin got darker. Ondine, or someone, can you reassure me again, please? I'm just worried because I'm caucasian and most of you are not. I have my heart completely set on my face getting lighter. I know I'm probably worrying for nothing. I know some of you are caucasian but can't remember whether you had used this combo.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
those people obviously havent used HQ/RA combo the proper way, which is to wait 30 minuts after washing your face, then apply a PEA sized amount of retin-A to the entire face and apply a pea sized amount of hydroquinone a little bit later on top of that, use ONLY AT NIGHT, use a strong sunscreen during the day. dont let the other people in other forums who didnt use it the right way without much knowledge discourage you.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those people obviously havent used HQ/RA combo the proper way, which is to wait 30 minuts after washing your face, then apply a PEA sized amount of retin-A to the entire face and apply a pea sized amount of hydroquinone a little bit later on top of that, use ONLY AT NIGHT, use a strong sunscreen during the day. dont let the other people in other forums who didnt use it the right way without much knowledge discourage you.
Thanks LightenNLift,

I just can't help but be a little worried. The idea that I could get my face looking how I want it after all these years is almost too good to be true, so I'm just being paranoid I know
. I'm sure you are right.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
You will find most who complain about a product are certainly the ones who either abused it or was sensitive to it. Go slow take your time do it correctly you have a lot of help here don't worry!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thanks so much you guys
. I really do feel very lucky to have found this forum. Thanks for being here for me

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have to use suncreen if your in a cold climate? London is mostly cold

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'm in a climate even colder than London (most of the year) & even in the dead of winter, all exposed skin has to have sunblock on it. Even on cloudy days.

·
Registered
71 Posts
cheers my dear...So the rules are to get this Regime right is?....

Ingredients to skin lighting - the successful way

• 1 Retin A
  • 1 Hydroquinone (HQ)
  • 1 Sunblock

Instructions to use

Night time
Wash your face, then 30 minutes later first apply a pea size amount of Retin A then shortly afterwards a pea size amount of HQ

Daytime
Use Sunblock (to protect skin from exposure in any climate)

Results

Ninasky
Ondine
Lightenlift
reyaz01
Goatlady
and many more happy lighteners...

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Since fairer skin is more likely to experience sensitivity issues, I'd suggest you begin slowly with the RA. As others have said, you ought to be using it only at night. A good 30 mins after washing is wise. At first, do NOT blend the 2 creams. If your skin reacts, it'll be hard to gauge which one it reacted to. Use the weakest RA at first (0.025%). Use it every other night only & buffer it with a little natural oil. Over 2 weeks or so, gradually reduce the amt of oil till you're just using the RA every other night. On alternating days, use the HQ4% on clean dry skin morning & night (remember your sunscreen!). This is the most gentle way to approach this on all skin tones. You can increase your RA to 0.05% in a couple of months & ease into it with oil. Better to go slowly to prevent any problems.

Mixing the 2 creams together in = amts is NOT something to dive into right away. It can really irritate skin unaccustomed to either compound. Synergistically, they augment eachother's best effects. As your tolerance builds, you might try a little of this mixture one night on the more stubborn areas to test it out. You can try Donaldo's way once you've built tolerance: apply the RA, wait & apply a little HQ.

It is good to approach with a little trepidation. It'll prevent you from doing anything stupid you may live to regret.

I have a tube of generic hydrocortisone cream. Any minor irritation I rarely get from the RA is almost instantly soothesd with a tiny drop of it. Used sparingly with RA, it won't thin the skin at all. In fact, many of the best formulations for lightening combine RA, HQ & a form of hydrocortisone in a LOW dose. My tube costed me $5 & it lasts for 2 months!

Good luck to you & please share your adventure. Your input will be esp useful to other white members in your same boat.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ondine,

This is fantastic advice for those of us about to start. I so want to dive right in but after reading this, I think I'll probably take it slow

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I wish I had
When I first got the RA, I knew nothing of the different strengths. ).1% didn't 'sound' strong, so I bought that. After a few days, I was so dry * could hardly move! Lots of oil (& a lighter hand with the RA) cured me of my folly. Fortunately, I did not have a massive bad reaction & knock off all my skin!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
wearing a sunblock does not necessary mean you are protected, most of the people on here including ondine use the regular neutrogena or drugstore brands that offer very poor protection against the sun, you need to buy a sunblock that has Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL that has a broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and a PPD of 20+, examples of ideal sunblock with GREAT (now this is not biased its scientifically proven) protection are - La Roche-Posay Anthelios Series, Vichy, Garnier Ambre Solaire UV Sensitive Ultra SPF 50+ (this one is reasonably priced at 7.49 dollars on ebay ships from UK for those you want both Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL), Bioderma PhotoMax, Avene Emulsion. Also, you have to wear a wide brim sun hat during the strongest parts of the day.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The LaRoche Posay is very good stuff as are the other brands you suggest. Good to have another sunblock expert on hand: it'll give Periwinkle a break! THanks for the info. I'm almost out of the one I'm using so next time I'll try one of these.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh my God, I am beyond excited right now! My doorbell finally rang!! I have my creams (6 tubes of 0.05% RA and 6 of HQ 4%). I still can't get over how little I paid. Fantastic service from ADC! Now just have to wait for my Likas papaya soap from Yollies.

Anyway, I'm still a little unsure about whether I want to use HQ (alone) during the day. Some of you say it's OK and others say it's not. I am so tempted to put it on right now (it's morning here in Aus) and I have a day off work. Is it OK if you are absolutely not going to be in the sun at all? Or can even a bit of daylight cause adverse effects? I have been planning to use my Meladerm during the day, but it's just so weak and slow!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wearing a sunblock does not necessary mean you are protected, most of the people on here including ondine use the regular neutrogena or drugstore brands that offer very poor protection against the sun, you need to buy a sunblock that has Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL that has a broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and a PPD of 20+, examples of ideal sunblock with GREAT (now this is not biased its scientifically proven) protection are - La Roche-Posay Anthelios Series, Vichy, Garnier Ambre Solaire UV Sensitive Ultra SPF 50+ (this one is reasonably priced at 7.49 dollars on ebay ships from UK for those you want both Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL), Bioderma PhotoMax, Avene Emulsion. Also, you have to wear a wide brim sun hat during the strongest parts of the day.
Thanks for the info LightenNLift! You know for some reason I never thought of getting sunblock from overseas. How silly of me!! Anyway, I really want something lightweight if it is at all possible in a very good sunblock. Are any of these lightweight, and preferably don't leave a white cast?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
the anthelios fluide extreme doesnt leave a cast, the bioderma photmax and avene dont leave a cast but all of hte sunblocks ive tried leaves the skin slightly greasy. Dont use HQ during the day, but its ok to use it if you are indoors with the curtains down in a dark room but we cant be vampires
best to use it at night.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the anthelios fluide extreme doesnt leave a cast, the bioderma photmax and avene dont leave a cast but all of hte sunblocks ive tried leaves the skin slightly greasy. Dont use HQ during the day, but its ok to use it if you are indoors with the curtains down in a dark room but we cant be vampires
best to use it at night.
OK, thanks!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I know I'm naughty but I just couldn't resist! I put my HQ4% on this morning with lots of sunblock but will not have to go outside at all today. The first thing I noticed was that I LOVE the feel of it. It sank straight in with no greasy feel at all. It feels really comfortable.

I also had this thought about tonight mixing just a tiny bit of my Retin-A with the pea-sized amount of HQ, and gradually increasing the amount of RA until it is pea sized too. Does this sound like a good idea or a bad one?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts