Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My skin lately has been SO dry. It's acting like it does in the winter (alligator skin)and I live in Florida where at the present time it is hot and humid! Especially, on my abdomin and sides area....answers on this would be VERY helpful too. But my real question is can I add hyaluronic acid to ANY of my homemade and retail body moisturizers? I bought some for Kassy's C serum and know that it's for moisture retention, so wanted to know if I could benefit from it in other ways as well.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I just finished a bottle of AM-Lactin lotion. I love it. Makes the skin super soft. It's my all over body lotion of choice now. Just be sure not to get it into any open sore it will sting like @#$

·
Registered
419 Posts
Love love love AmLactin 12% lotion. Great for dry skin and for those tiny goose bumps on legs and arms.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just finished a bottle of AM-Lactin lotion. I love it. Makes the skin super soft. It's my all over body lotion of choice now. Just be sure not to get it into any open sore it will sting like @#$
Can you post a link? I've never heard of it before. And I would love to get rid of goose pimples on my arms!!!!!!!!!!111

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
My skin lately has been SO dry. It's acting like it does in the winter (alligator skin)and I live in Florida where at the present time it is hot and humid! Especially, on my abdomin and sides area....answers on this would be VERY helpful too. But my real question is can I add hyaluronic acid to ANY of my homemade and retail body moisturizers? I bought some for Kassy's C serum and know that it's for moisture retention, so wanted to know if I could benefit from it in other ways as well.
You can, Marissa, but add a very small amount. Hyaluronic acid can steal moisture from your skin if it isn't diluted well. Add a tiny bit at a time so it doesn't form globs, and stir well.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fawnie, how many drops would you say in a 8oz. cream or gel mixture? Thanks a bunch for the response!

·
Registered
353 Posts
My skin lately has been SO dry. It's acting like it does in the winter (alligator skin)and I live in Florida where at the present time it is hot and humid! Especially, on my abdomin and sides area....answers on this would be VERY helpful too. But my real question is can I add hyaluronic acid to ANY of my homemade and retail body moisturizers? I bought some for Kassy's C serum and know that it's for moisture retention,[/B] so wanted to know if I could benefit from it in other ways as well.

Hi Marissa, as fawnie said, be sure there is sufficient water in your formulation.. HA holds 1000 times it's weight in water, and will get it from somewhere.. You want to keep the HA concentration at 1% optimally.. (For 8oz's of liquid volume you would use 2.4 cc's of HA).. Just be sure H2O is the top ingredient. I live in Florida also, and the humidity is actually a good thing for our skin!

You said "you bought" my C serum, but I don't sell anything so please clarify for me.. Also, the C serum recipe's I post are for "treatment", so for added moisture you can follow it up with a moisturizer of choice, or a few drops of a nice oil.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Hi Marissa, as fawnie said, be sure there is sufficient water in your formulation.. HA holds 1000 times it's weight in water, and will get it from somewhere.. You want to keep the HA concentration at 1% optimally.. (For 8oz's of liquid volume you would use 2.4 cc's of HA).. Just be sure H2O is the top ingredient. I live in Florida also, and the humidity is actually a good thing for our skin!

You said "you bought" my C serum, but I don't sell anything so please clarify for me.. Also, the C serum recipe's I post are for "treatment", so for added moisture you can follow it up with a moisturizer of choice, or a few drops of a nice oil.
I think she is saying she bought HA to add to your Vit C serum-
How crazy would that be though if someone was out there selling this with your name on it?

I just might have to try that-

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Well I can't see why not, but I don't know what to say on how much. If you find out let me know what lotion base you use and how much LA to use. That is SOOOOO MUCH cheaper than the Am-Lactin. I am ALL for doing it myself and saving $$$$$$ for more Retin-A

·
Registered
475 Posts
The GoW website and Lotioncrafters say at what percent you should dilute it. 1-5% I think it said I will have to go relook. Let me look for that dissolve chart fawnie always sends me to see if it's on there. I've been buying alba super emolliant and adding goodies to it. This last time I bought ecco bella and added "stuff" so I thought maybe I could add lactic acid. Hmmmmmm.

apology to everyone else for hijacking the thread.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hi Kassy,
No I was saying that I have lots of extra HA due to buying it to make your serum recipe. Also, I mentioned humidity because I know that it's good for dry skin, therefore my heightened dry skin around this time is PUZZLEING to me!!!! Any thoughts on why AT THIS TIME OF YEAR my skin would be acting as it does in the winter? I do follow the serum up with a mix of Jojoba & Safflower oil. Thanks for ALL the awesome info you provide!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question on Hyaluronic Acid.....I have been using straight from bottle to my face. Am I supposed to dilute w/ another moisterizer?
Also started using plain Safflower Oil for dry skin on body...it is working great! Absorbs quickly and I am not flaking dry skin or itching!!

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Are you using this lotion on your face too?

As far as adding lactic acid to a lotion, serum, etc, you sure can!! I bought mine at lotioncrafters. Typical Usage Rate: 1 - 5%

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Question on Hyaluronic Acid.....I have been using straight from bottle to my face. Am I supposed to dilute w/ another moisterizer?
Also started using plain Safflower Oil for dry skin on body...it is working great! Absorbs quickly and I am not flaking dry skin or itching!!
What % is the HA that you are using?? See Kassy's post above.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Kassy,
No I was saying that I have lots of extra HA due to buying it to make your serum recipe. Also, I mentioned humidity because I know that it's good for dry skin, therefore my heightened dry skin around this time is PUZZLEING to me!!!! Any thoughts on why AT THIS TIME OF YEAR my skin would be acting as it does in the winter? I do follow the serum up with a mix of Jojoba & Safflower oil. Thanks for ALL the awesome info you provide!
Thanks for sorting me out (gymrat too!) That's what I get for reading posts at 1:30 a.m...

I'm baffled to why your skin is dry, and don't think it has to do with the weather.. Have you made many changes to your regime? Started new products all at once? Used things that may not be compatible? I don't know how old you are, but could it be a hormonal issue?

Usually getting down to basics with just a couple of good treatment serums and a plan to exfoliate the gunk off can work wonders. I honestly believe, and am living proof of, the power antioxidants have to repair, renew + protect our skin. It's so simple, easy + cheap when you throw out the hype and get down to the basics.

Could you share some of your routine and specifics for your skin? Oh, and Marissa, you can make a plain HA + distilled water spritz put into a spray bottle, and see if a spritz of it a couple of times per day helps.. I would do it at less than the 1% though for that and just put 1.5 cc's in 8oz of distilled water and shake well.. Keep in the fridge if you can, and shake before each use.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What form of HA exactly are you using? If it's a HA Serum you can use it directly, but if it's the 'active', for use in formulations, it must be diluted to a 1% concentration in a formula..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts