Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is John Hill and I am a professional cosmetic chemist. I've been in the profession for more than a decade now. I have several U. S. Patents for cosmetic formulas and ingredients. I am a member of the California Chapter of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, and I won their "Young Scientist" award for the year 2001.

I have a considerable amount of knowledge on cosmetic raw materials having been the cosmetic chemist for a raw material supplier to all the big cosmetic houses. If you have any questions about cosmetics, or the ingredients, don't hesitate to ask. I enjoy sharing information with consumers. In addition, I learn a lot about what the cosmetic consumer public likes and does not like, and that does help me a lot.

So, I'm here both for "give and take", so let's start chatting it up!

John C. Hill

·
Registered
515 Posts
Helloooo Never over the hill.

What would be in your opinion and experience the best product to help minimise facial lines.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Welcome....what are your thoughts on the best skin care products/ingredients such as best sunscreens, tretinoin, vitamin C serums.....thanks

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hello and Welcom NeverOverTheHill, It's great to have a chemist around to ask questions and get opinions. Perhaps you can help us save time, money and the eventual heartache of purchasing items that really are a waste, and perhaps you can bounce ideas off us? I have two questions for you( when you have a chance that is) #1) Does Strivecton really work on wrinkles and stretchmarks(...please let it be so...) and #2) Do you need a guinea pig? Seriously what does really work... besides the injections and surgerires. What is your line of Expertise?
Thanks for taking the time to join our group I am positive everyone including yourself will learn something: hopefully positive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, a lot of questions to answer, so let me attack them one at a time. First, my area of expertise is natural, botanical raw materials. For nearly a decade I worked as the cosmetic chemist at a raw material supplier. They dealt with natural botanical oils such as jojoba, macadamia, moringa, sunflower, and derivatives of those oils. I also worked with a clinical skin testing Doctor during those years, studying the effects of those raw materials, and every other raw material we could test on volunteers. We found out that macadamia and jojoba were two of the very best raw materials that could be included in any cream or lotion product. The reason why:

Macadamia has a natural fatty acid profile that is the most similar to human skin sebum fatty acids.

Jojoba Oil is not an "oil" but actually a liquid wax ester. It is the ONLY source of botanical wax esters that are similar to the wax esters in human skin sebum.

Add these ingredients with other ingredients such as squalene, cholesterol, ceramides etc, and you have made the perfect moisturizing skin lotion or cream that will actually work for as long as you have it on. Not only will these ingredients moisturize, but they do not disrupt the natural skin sebum your body produces. All other creams and lotions without these ingredients actually dry out the skin over time, because they actually displace your own natural sebum. When the cream or lotion wears off, your sebum is somewhat displaced, therefore your skin looks dryer than before. This was proven in a recent study at the University of Sweden.

One of my discoveries was the synergistic effect of hydrolyzed jojoba esters when combined with glycerin to provide a 24 hour moisturizing effect. We were able to prove this in clinical skin testing trials beyond a shadow of a doubt. Later, the company "Gold Bond" accepted this concept and created Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion with a 24 hour claim, using this combination of ingredients. If you haven't tried this lotion, give it a try. It is wonderful, and selling off of the shelves as fast as it can be stocked.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
welcome aboard. I've started researching a bit to start homebrewing. There are some basic ingredients that I see all the time. Vitamin C, Vitamin K, copper peptides, idebenone etc......what I'm interested in would be the carriers for these items. Penetration enhancers mostly. I see a lot of softeners in the ingredients which is necessary for more than one reason, but not any enhancers (IE transdermal delivery systems). Also, I see diuretics used (caffeine being the most popular) but no vasodilators to enhance blood flow and healing to certain areas/conditions. I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Great post. I've only heard good things about Gold Bond.
I too have heard great things about Gold Bond, but have never tried it for myself. Looks like I will be now-

Very good post, by the way.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
NeverOverTheHill; WELCOME! Sorry I took so long to get here. I'm certain that with your knowledge in this area, you'll be besieged with questions from other members. Please jump right in & enjoy the company!

·
Registered
125 Posts
OK, a lot of questions to answer, so let me attack them one at a time. First, my area of expertise is natural, botanical raw materials. For nearly a decade I worked as the cosmetic chemist at a raw material supplier. They dealt with natural botanical oils such as jojoba, macadamia, moringa, sunflower, and derivatives of those oils. I also worked with a clinical skin testing Doctor during those years, studying the effects of those raw materials, and every other raw material we could test on volunteers. We found out that macadamia and jojoba were two of the very best raw materials that could be included in any cream or lotion product. The reason why:

Macadamia has a natural fatty acid profile that is the most similar to human skin sebum fatty acids.

Jojoba Oil is not an "oil" but actually a liquid wax ester. It is the ONLY source of botanical wax esters that are similar to the wax esters in human skin sebum.

Add these ingredients with other ingredients such as squalene, cholesterol, ceramides etc, and you have made the perfect moisturizing skin lotion or cream that will actually work for as long as you have it on. Not only will these ingredients moisturize, but they do not disrupt the natural skin sebum your body produces. All other creams and lotions without these ingredients actually dry out the skin over time, because they actually displace your own natural sebum. When the cream or lotion wears off, your sebum is somewhat displaced, therefore your skin looks dryer than before. This was proven in a recent study at the University of Sweden.

One of my discoveries was the synergistic effect of hydrolyzed jojoba esters when combined with glycerin to provide a 24 hour moisturizing effect. We were able to prove this in clinical skin testing trials beyond a shadow of a doubt. Later, the company "Gold Bond" accepted this concept and created Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion with a 24 hour claim, using this combination of ingredients. If you haven't tried this lotion, give it a try. It is wonderful, and selling off of the shelves as fast as it can be stocked.

John
Do you put this on your face or elsewhere?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Gold Bond is a lotion that you can use anywhere. Face, hand, body, etc.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
About Gold bond ingredients:

Water , Glycerin , Dimethicone , Petrolatum , Jojoba Esters , Cetyl Alcohol , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Stearyl Alcohol , Distearyldimonium Chloride , Cetearyl Alcohol , Steareth-21 , Steareth-2 , Propylene Glycol , Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract Matricaria , Polysorbate 60 , Stearamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate , Methyl Gluceth-20 , Tocopheryl Acetate , Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Hydrolyzed Elastin , Retinyl Palmitate , Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters , Glyceryl Stearate , Dipotassium EDTA , Fragrance , Triethanolamine , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben

Sorry not for me! too many chemicals such as petrolatum, paraben

ref: Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion 5.5 oz.: Medical Arts Pharmacy

Amazon.com has nice reviews:
Amazon.com: Gold Bond Skin Therapy Lotion, Ultimate Healing Aloe, 14 oz Pump: Health & Personal Care

·
Registered
125 Posts
About Gold bond ingredients:

Water , Glycerin , Dimethicone , Petrolatum , Jojoba Esters , Cetyl Alcohol , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Stearyl Alcohol , Distearyldimonium Chloride , Cetearyl Alcohol , Steareth-21 , Steareth-2 , Propylene Glycol , Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract Matricaria , Polysorbate 60 , Stearamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate , Methyl Gluceth-20 , Tocopheryl Acetate , Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Hydrolyzed Elastin , Retinyl Palmitate , Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters , Glyceryl Stearate , Dipotassium EDTA , Fragrance , Triethanolamine , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben

Sorry not for me! too many chemicals such as petrolatum, paraben

ref: Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion 5.5 oz.: Medical Arts Pharmacy

Amazon.com has nice reviews:
Amazon.com: Gold Bond Skin Therapy Lotion, Ultimate Healing Aloe, 14 oz Pump: Health & Personal Care
what do u use?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I do my own body lotion with olive oil, shea butter, bee wax and rose water, vit E & A with Essential Oils.

sometimes I will add aloa vera, emu. If you want the recipe send me a pm, I will be glad to provide it to you. It's also in a thread on doing your own lotion.

For my face, very simple: natural glycerin soap and as a toner Rose water, and of course Vit C serum, with only water & organic ascorbic acid. I keep it simple.

Shampoo: Earth Spirit Organics, anything that doesn't have Laureth sulfate, cocoamide etc that will cause skin irritation. there's also Aubry, Bio Vera

Sunscreen: Mexitan, Devita both are chemical free (hopefully)

Foundation: Suncoat (chemical free)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thrilled to see a chemist that uses natural products! I'm a bit of an organic fanatic and am constantly looking for natural beauty products that really work.

Hello and Welcome John! I look forward to reading all your posts

1 - 20 of 67 Posts