Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so stressed over this article, I get this email newsletter a couple of times a week and I always find some usefull information but this has me wondering if I am doing the right thing...since I had my stroke I sometimes misinterpret things. Would some on else comment on her recent article about exfoliating? Thank you! Middle Ageless

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Kitskid

You have to remember that there are many theories out there about anti-ageing. It's a multimillion dollar business. Without getting myself into too much trouble, let me just say, "Everything in moderation". You don't want to destroy the barrier of your skin, but good cell turnover helps the skin absorb products.

Many ppl don't believe in Botox, Retin-A, supplements, ad nauseum..... So don't use them if you don't like them. We have to sort out for ourselves what works for our particular problems, and go slowly before jumping on every bandwagon that comes along.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not sure she provides enough actual evidence for back up. If what you are doing is working for you now, and you like the way your skin looks, why change? That said, I'm sure we will all have to make some changes in our skin care routines as we age. What works now may be too much or not enough ten years from now. I agree with Fawnie...Moderation is key.
Plus that doctor she quoted recommends the daily use of topical vitamin A before dermarolling (C too, but topical vitamin A is Retin-A...perhaps he suggests something more gentle, I don't know...but he advocates the use of topical vitamin A). Personally, I think if all you are doing on a daily basis is GENTLY sloughing off the flakey dead skin layers, you are not doing harm. They are meant to fall off anyway. I also think that if doing that gently isn't really doing the trick using a mild acid to help that along is not doing harm. That's just my opinion. Plus, look at any woman over forty who looks good for her age or better yet, looks younger than her age. How many of them are using Retin-A, getting micro-dermabrasion/chemical peels, etc? My guess is the majority of them.
Unless what you are doing to your skin is causing irritation, inflammation, dryness, fine lines and wrinkles, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you are taking care of your skin properly (sunscreen, healthy diet, good hydration, etc.) and your skin care routine leaves your skin looking healthy (youthful, smooth, soft, glowing) that's most likely because your skin IS healthy...

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I use my cloth almost daily for the RA flakies. All I can say is my skin has NEVER looked better so why change a thing if it is werkin' for ya?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fawnie no diet today...it's Canadian Thanksgiving!!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Look I make apple, lemon, banana, cinammon, peach, cabbage, spinach and fiber (soluble) smoothies with carrots too every day. More vegetables than most people get in a month. I have always done smoothies but this was my first month on a serious health smoothie PACKED with various known nutrients, anti-inflammatory food, clotting foods etc. I had oral surgery, am not feeling great but within days as swollen as I was I was barely bruised compared to most patients. The surgeon commented that I was "healing on the table". They were shocked I was awake, alert and eating after 5 hours of general anaesthesia and surgery on my jaw. I was also mobile and I am NOT 25 years old, I am on the wrong side of 35 in fact. Like Fawnie said, diet is a HUGE part, excercise (I had 99-100% pulse ox ON MY OWN--this is a very good saturation of oxygen in the blood) just hours after surgery, a rarity even among the young. I whine about the swelling but in reality nobody BUT me really notices and I only have three noticeable bruises.

I have used all these anti-aging products what I believe--SUPPLEMENTS DO WORK, BUT YOU DO NOT NEED EVERY SUPPLEMENT UNDER THE SUN. Diet, excercise, attitide, outlook, and various topicals talilored to trial and error on a per person (and damn expensive) basis all work too. You need to decide what is worth it and how far you want to go. EVERY day a study will tell you to throw out your supplements, then buy them back, throw out your creams, then buy them back, etc. They do not know, we are all guinea pigs, what works for you may well be placebo, but if it works, let it work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Green smoothies!!!!!!!!!! You bettcha, I love them. I'm hooked. If I skip a day I really crave them now.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
This was an interesting article because it said daily exfoliation IS NECESSARY for young people - adolescents and people in their 20s. So at what age do we stop exfoliating daily to prevent damage to the outer layer? Also, if we exfoliated since we were very young then why do we need to stop exfoliating regularly later on in life if we have healthy rapid cell turnover? Our cell turnover wont slow down with age if we taught it to function properly with daily exfoliation in our younger years, will it?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got to leave now...time for dinner!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
This was an interesting article because it said daily exfoliation IS NECESSARY for young people - adolescents and people in their 20s. So at what age do we stop exfoliating daily to prevent damage to the outer layer? Also, if we exfoliated since we were very young then why do we need to stop exfoliating regularly later on in life if we have healthy rapid cell turnover? Our cell turnover wont slow down with age if we taught it to function properly with daily exfoliation in our younger years, will it?
Very good question, LNL. I don't know if we can "teach" our skin to function properly and not age...I think the cells of the entire body have intrinsic "time clocks" that we need to find out how to turn off or slow down. There's a whole website devoted to it, along with a forum: Imminst.org - Immortality Institute | Advocacy & Research For Unlimited Lifespans

I don't think exfoliation alone is the key either. Something like retinoids which help the turnover of old cells along with GENTLE exfoliation probably helps tho. And then there's sunscreen to protect the cells from the UV damage again.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I agree with Fawnie, we just do not know. Is it telomeres? Do we have a timeline? Do we have a clock that is just saying NOW wrinkle, NOW loose muscle, NOW get brittle, etc. It is obvious we can effect the changes but we can not stop them, not even Madonna. I think we will one day unlock some of the keys, but for now do a bit of everything and hope some of it is working!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Beautiful (natural) skin IS healthy skin as long as you keep it that way....You can't really fake healthy skin (without a boatload of make up)...If your skin looks and feels healthy and you're protecting it from the sun and taking care of your body...then, guess what? Your skin is healthy and so are you....

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I agree with Fawnie, we just do not know. Is it telomeres? Do we have a timeline? Do we have a clock that is just saying NOW wrinkle, NOW loose muscle, NOW get brittle, etc. It is obvious we can effect the changes but we can not stop them, not even Madonna. I think we will one day unlock some of the keys, but for now do a bit of everything and hope some of it is working!
Could be telomeres have a lot to do with it. Learning about cell lifespan can benefit cancer research as well as anti-ageing, so I'm sure there will be lots of interest in this.
U.S. laureate sees winning Nobel Prize as recognition for entire telomere field_English_Xinhua

For me, just the basics plus common sense. I've gone full circle from trying it all and getting into some trouble with it to backing off to a few things that work for me. *Gentle* exfoliation a couple times a week with my microfiber cloth is good.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
not even madonna? Is she known to do everything right in terms of skincare from a very young age?
She is essentially a vampire, known to avoid the sun, even via windwos at a restaurant. She sleeps in a body suit with retin-a head to toe. She is the poster child for skincare. She has always excercised, obssessively worked-out, her eating habits have been unbeatable and aimed toward anti-aging (veg first, later macrobiotic) she avoids drugs, smoke and alcohol (though has indulged). She is mentally obssessed which I do understand, BUT even with her she needed and will continue to need surgical intervention.

I have a friend of the family who is a year older than Madonna, she looks great but the last years (her late 40's into 50's) even she no longer could hide the obvious lines, she also was a sun avoider and used to scold my mother for being in the sun and also me...go figure. You can delay but as of now not stop. I am happy doing things I can and still enjoying things I like.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I think the rate of aging is also hereditary and gender related, my dad is in his 50s but he looks like hes in his late 20s early 30s because there are no visible fine lines and no silver hair, he led a hard life working outdoors, he worked with heavy materials, and I still dont understand how he could look the way he does, it wasnt until recently that he started using products such as sunblock, moisturizer, and cleanser. Men are known to age better than women, why is that Lexi? I was watching a movie with my sister called Rumor Has it starring Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Costner and my sister pointed out that Kevin Costner at 54 looks way better than the 24 year old that was playing Aniston's boyfriend in the movie.

ps. I cant believe that Madonna would look so much older like shes in her 60s and didnt take care of her skin in recent photos online and in the paper. If she took care of her skin and shunned the sun then its most likely stress, hereditary/ancestry, and gender that are the factors in her aging process. There are actresses who are older than her butt look way younger. Also, I wanted to mention that if our skin cells have intristic time clocks that make us age then how do those rich old women who have extrinsic procedures done to their bodies end up looking so much younger, wouldnt the aging cells and the time clocks reject those procedures?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Maybe these lucky people were blessed with amazing genes. Doesn't it all come down to science as in ...our DNA? then circumstance,surroundings ect.

·
Registered
316 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts