Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rang my laser clinic today and asked them if it would be ok to use skin lightening products such as HQ as I'm having laser. Without even hearing me out fully she flatly said no and that they can't carry out laser if I'm using such products. She didn't really give me an explantion (though I kinda expected her to say to say no), but I have emailed a couple of other clinics to see what they say.

So I guess I have to make a decision, what do I want more, hair free skin, or lighter skin....both!!!!!!!!!

This really sucks as I was super excited at the thought of using HQ

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just looking, I use an epilator and my skin is free of hair generally, apart from very, almost invisible, small ones, that show up when I miss to epilate. So, how about considering other means of hair removal or getting a second opinion on laser and HQ use? I can't comment much on that as I'm not well informed there. Just try see what you can work out.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Just looking! Laser treatments ought to take less than 9 months! Then, when the time comes, you can begin lightening. Or, as little erin suggests, get an epilator. Then lighten & then you can go get laser hair removal.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ondine, I have been having laser for years! I have thick dark hair (am plagued with it!) and although it has reduced significantly, I still need maintenance treatments.
I thought I may have a hormone imbalance, maybe PCO, however I have had this all checked out and nada.

What if I stop laser for a while, start lightening till I achieve the desired result and then continue laser again. If I only want to be a shade or two lighter, a few months should do it?
By the way does lightening last, once I've got to my desired colour, I dont need to maintain it do I?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You definitely CAN use an epilator on yourr chin. In fact they make small epilators esp for facial hair.

If you want to use a HQ4% & RA routine, you will lighten to your desired shade BUT then you can use it a couple of times/week to maintain it. The sun will be a real no-no though (it can do damage + undo all your careful lightening!)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Justlooking, as Ondine has noted, there are epilators for facial hair. You can get one specifically for facial hair or one that has multiple uses like the one I've got. If you use HQ and Retin A, you will need to maintain.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, both of you for being so helpful. I've decided I'm going to purchase the home laser kit, Tria, so I can laser as and when I please. I generally have about 3 months before I need my next treatment so I think this should (hopefully) be ok to test out the HQ 4%. Then I will use the Tria mself (I'll do a test patch first).

I'm assuming the main reason clinics won't carry out laser when using such products is possibily because there has been no research or tests on it, and they don't want to carrry out without knowing the side effects. For example, clinics won't perform on pregnant women, although there is no assocoiated risk with laser and pregnancy, clinics wont accept them. There hasn't been any danger reported as the laser only penetrates a few millimetres but its still a def no no for clinics (my laser lady admitted she continued laser throughout her preganacy and was fine.)
Ok so plan of action is to get the Tria, and in the months im not having laser do my skin lightening regime! As I said I'm not planning to lighten loads so hopefully the usuage will be minimal. Will keep you updated!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'm glad you're finding solutions. Please tell us more about this home laser kit. Do make sure you find out the reasons why you were advised not to do both. Assuming there's no research out there about it could be a mistake. A dermatologist or laser technician ought to be able to give you a real answer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup I will do! I've emailed a few other clinics to find out what their policy is regarding this and their reasoning behind it. Fingers crossed! Though if its a case of its just not been tried and tested, I'll volunteer to be the guniea pig! hehe

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Try checking Google Scholar. You can access the actual research on the subject & not rely on the urban legends & so-called 'common-knowledge' (much of which is false!). It also hones your reading skills & expands vocabulary & comprehension as reading & interpreting scientific data is not at all like regular reading.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK guys well about 3 clinics have got back to me and they all said they wouldn't do laser on lightened skin. I know I have bought the TRIA kit and could do this myself, but I would be too worried about a reaction. Only one lady bothered to briefly explain that laser on lightened skin would cause a skin reaction, and I would end up with patchy/darker skin.

So I guess HQ is out of the question for me...

Does anyone know any other method I could try to become 1 or 2 shades lighter without having to use hq 4%? Please help!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There's Arbutin, MSH & Kojic...but any lightener might cause a reaction in your skin when subjected to laser. It may not have to do with natural vs 'chemical'. Be sure to check.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That is not too logical! Technically lighter skin is better for laser. IF on the other hand there is uneven pigmentation as a result then you can end up treated on a higer setting and attracting laser and getting burnt on that area. I think the fear they have is that you will have removed the top layers of pigment making it hard for them to see then underneath new pigment will be developing and will cause the same absorption of heat. I was tanorexic and told not to tan when I did laser and to be honest I tanned all but about 10 days before the treatment and never had a problem. It is not worth the risk but I would actually lighten if I wanted to if I were you so long as your skin has ample time to return to normal prior to treatment. You should know during treatment whether there is damage being done, a damage will actually bubble and will burn you on the spot usually!

·
Registered
40 Posts
What...the hek.... Is a shade? I keep hearing this, and even using this term myself and I don't even know what anyones talking about, ecspecialy myself lol.

Is there a shade scale on the web?!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There's the Fitzpatrick scale which separates skin into V-VI tonal varieties with a VI being a very black tone (think Alec Wek) to a V (most African Americans who are not mixed white) to a IV (brown skin) & lighter until a I (white people typically with blonde or red hair whose skin burns easily.

We often use a 'shade' as a quantifying term BUT I don't think anyone could really define it! What is sometimes more uselful is to post something like "I am the colour of X (say Denzel) & want to lighten to a Whitney Houston shade" . This, at least, gives a clearer picture. My skin has a natural reddish tone from my strong Native ancestry. I was a dark red shade. I've yet to see anyone the same shade
looked like a super deep tan on a white person. As I lighten, the dark red tone is going rose-woody (I look a little like I've been sanded & 'finished' like my cherrywood cupboards
)

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's the Fitzpatrick scale which separates skin into V-VI tonal varieties with a VI being a very black tone (think Alec Wek) to a V (most African Americans who are not mixed white) to a IV (brown skin) & lighter until a I (white people typically with blonde or red hair whose skin burns easily.

We often use a 'shade' as a quantifying term BUT I don't think anyone could really define it! What is sometimes more uselful is to post something like "I am the colour of X (say Denzel) & want to lighten to a Whitney Houston shade" . This, at least, gives a clearer picture. My skin has a natural reddish tone from my strong Native ancestry. I was a dark red shade. I've yet to see anyone the same shade
looked like a super deep tan on a white person. As I lighten, the dark red tone is going rose-woody (I look a little like I've been sanded & 'finished' like my cherrywood cupboards
)
Lol, I wanna see! Do you have any before and after pics? You've been lightening for a while so I'd expect you've been getting lighter. I'm very interested in what the mono has done!?

·
Registered
265 Posts
^^^^ me too! and how long have you been using the mono. If you have good results in 6 monts you will be the first person Ive heard had good results!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'm waiting a little longer B4 putting up a new photo BUT I can confirm that I'm much fairer than this photo shows.

ladydanielle, how many people do you know of who are using mono?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts