Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there....

I guess i'm the newbie to this forum
....I'm happy I found this site, as It seems like a great resource to get information on adult acne.

I am 26 years old and have been suffering from acne for the past year and a half. I have tried EVERYTHING to try and get rid of it...Proactiv (hated it), Cetaphil, Murad, Philosophy, Neutrogena Acne line, Clinique 3 Step (HATED it), B. Kamins and more i just can't htink of the rest....For makeup, I have used MAC & Bare Escentuals which were terrible for my face and i am now using Jane Ierdale mineral makeup - This seems to be okay for now...I am also on Minocyline which has done pretty much nothing!

Anyway, my question is: I recently went to my dermatologist and she put me on the Skin Tx program. Has anyone on here ever used it before or have ANY opinions??? She has also recommended that I get peels

I cry almost everyother day because i hate what i see in the mirror. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hello

good luck with clearing your acne

i dont know to much about anything, but MAC foundation stuff is pretty harsh from what i read.

Please dont cry! cause then i'll cry

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Hi there....

I guess i'm the newbie to this forum
....I'm happy I found this site, as It seems like a great resource to get information on adult acne.

I am 26 years old and have been suffering from acne for the past year and a half. I have tried EVERYTHING to try and get rid of it...Proactiv (hated it), Cetaphil, Murad, Philosophy, Neutrogena Acne line, Clinique 3 Step (HATED it), B. Kamins and more i just can't htink of the rest....For makeup, I have used MAC & Bare Escentuals which were terrible for my face and i am now using Jane Ierdale mineral makeup - This seems to be okay for now...I am also on Minocyline which has done pretty much nothing!

Anyway, my question is: I recently went to my dermatologist and she put me on the Skin Tx program. Has anyone on here ever used it before or have ANY opinions??? She has also recommended that I get peels

I cry almost everyother day because i hate what i see in the mirror. PLEASE HELP!
I don't know anything about the Skin Tx program nor have I heard of it. I did take Minocyline for my acne and it did nothing for me either. See if your derm will give you Differin or any other topical to use with the Minocyline and see if that helps. I would also say to try using a face wash that contains salicylic acid. Getting a peel is a great thing as it will help with the scarring if you are having any.

Don't cry, I know how upsetting it can be having acne. Sometimes, we think it looks worse than what it really is. At least you are a step in the right direction seeing a Derm-

Best of luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you find that your skin breaks out more so after certain foods or using products? Have you ever tried elimination diets? Some people with acne prone skin tend to want to wash and clean their faces even more which causes over stimulation. You only need a fairly simple skin care plan, cleanse without over stimulation with a mild cleanser, an alcohol free toner if you use toner, and a low or oil free moisturiser. What skin type do you have? Could stress be a factor? Try introducing a daily cup of chamomile tea and you can even use the chamomile tea as a face wash which can reduce inflammation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awwwwhhhh.... I can soooo feel for you. I went through the same thing for probably 9 YEARS!!! I also tried everything under the sun and would get so excited when someone would tell me about some new product and get so down again when it didn't work for me. I know this may seem a little "off topic" but you should really look into internal cleansing...I personally believe that acne has to do with the livers inability to process toxins, and whatever it cannot handle it pushes out through the skin. It's meant to protect your liver from overload but I know it sure doesn't seem like help when you're looking in the mirror... you not only need to do a liver cleanse, but first you have to do a colon cleanse. That's the protocol. I kept feeling intuitively that I needed one, but never knew to what extent! It helped me in so many ways...energy levels, emotions, skin etc...and i even eat well, organic etc, but if you eat bread, pasta, any meat etc over time that stuff builds up and the additional toxins put out by it, puts a major strain on your immune system and liver.

After doing a colon cleanse (1-3 month program -easy cuz you eat the same way just add a shake and pill and tea to current diet) and then following it up with the master cleanse, my acne NEVER came back (and I lost about 7 permanent pounds as well)...

Just look into it, there are a lot of cleanses out there, some better than others, just do a little research...you'll feel better than you ever have, and your skin will finally get a break...as will your emotions...

It will work!
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am sorry about your problem, I don't know anything about the Skin Tx program. But I thing, peels is not recommended to acne face.

Good luck with your skin care program!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am sorry about your problem, I don't know anything about the Skin Tx program. But I thing, peels is not recommended to acne face.

·
Registered
475 Posts
In highschool, my doctor prescribed tetracycline an oral acne medication and it worked wonders. At first it got worse but then it cleared up and even after I quit it was still clear. I think orthotrycline helps with acne too. I know you said you tried everything so maybe you've tried this, but I used to use Neutrogena acne wash, just the simple one in the pump bottle, orange in color. And follow with a moisturizer, NOTHING else. That worked for me. Hope this is some help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thats true .peels are terrible for acne skin. i had the same problem. nowi battling milia

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Peels are great for acne prone skin. A dermatologist would not recommend something for someone that he is treating for acne, if it wasn't ok.

Having acne prone skin myself, peels have helped me in so many ways!! Scars, being the first on the list.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you've tried all that and it's still not working, you might consider Accutane.

People are going to tell you to change your diet etc., but that isn't enough. Not if you have acne. People who say such things don't understand that having acne is not the same as being acne-prone. Full-fledged acne is an internal problem, not an exterior issue that can be fixed with peels etc.--- Peels can only PREVENT, but it sounds like it's too late for just prevention.

Tetracycline antibiotics messed up my digestive system and caused me yeast infections-- and I am a male. Yikes.

I am biased but I want you to know that you can indeed get better. Accutane is worth a try, and if the side effects happen to bother you, then you can always quit immediately.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
PS.

The w w w . a c n e . o r g message boards helped me out so much... a lifesaver.

It's good because you will be surrounded by other people just like yourself who understand your problems and can help.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
PS.

The w w w . a c n e . o r g message boards helped me out so much... a lifesaver.

It's good because you will be surrounded by other people just like yourself who understand your problems and can help.
I agree, Acne.org Message Boards (Powered by Invision Power Board), is a great site. You will learn and be able to ask any question you want without feeling like no one will understand. Believe me, there are sooooooo many out there with the same problem as you.

I too, took Accutane, and although it isn't for everyone, it certainly helped me become acne free!! If you have mild acne, I would not recommend it. There are so many topicals, antibiotics etc you can try first. But if all else fails, yes research Accutane. And don't believe all the side effect scares that are out there. I had NO side effects other than dry skin, nose, lips, and feet. I would take that over acne anyday-

·
Registered
27 Posts
It kills your good gut bacteria/ intestinal flora-- and unfortunately, even when I took probiotics it didn't really help. It was too late, and the antibiotic was still killing too much good bacteria in my body.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had no idea. Thanks. I didn't notice it while I was on tetracycline, but I have gotten a horrible yeast infection before on regular antibiotics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ll recommend you to use an organic product like Argan Oil . The Argan oil is easily absorbed by the skin. This form of Argan oil is used for the treatment of dermatologic disease like acne. I use the product called Ultimate Argan Gold by Sweet Marrakesh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree, Acne.org Message Boards (Powered by Invision Power Board), is a great site. You will learn and be able to ask any question you want without feeling like no one will understand. Believe me, there are sooooooo many out there with the same problem as you.

I too, took Accutane, and although it isn't for everyone, it certainly helped me become acne free!! If you have mild acne, I would not recommend it. There are so many topicals, antibiotics etc you can try first. But if all else fails, yes research Accutane. And don't believe all the side effect scares that are out there. I had NO side effects other than dry skin, nose, lips, and feet. I would take that over acne anyday-
Yeah, Acne.org is a super great resource for all things acne. They have a wide variety of users there too, so they have a lot of experience with different kinds and types of acne.

I really hope you get your situation worked out Hun, good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

Aha! This problem crops up increasingly on the forum and because you're new you've not had the opportunity to be made aware of the following:

Acne, the inflammatory condition of the sebaceous glands, is made worse by those products that dry the skin.

It can be difficult to take in, but the fact is that one of the best cleansers for skin is oil.

Therefore, I suggest that you:

In the morning: Cleanse using a ph-balanced cleanser such as DOVE soap.
TONE with an alcohol-free toner or witch-hazel then Protect with an SPF15+ cream

NIGHT TIME

Choose a quality cold-pressed oil such as grapeseed oil. You can buy this in your supermarket.
Massage a small amount into the face with clean fingers for two-three minutes.
Remove the excess along with your skin debris and make-up with a muslin cloth or flannel.
Advice is to wring the cloths out in hand-hot water but I always use a dry cloth.
Repeat again and again if necessary. This routine will not dry out your complexion which always causes acne to worsen as you have found.
Your skin should stabilise.

Here's to better skin!

Warm regards,

redrose

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi , Kaymay11 sorry to hear about your delima. I too tried the Proactive line and it did nothing for my skin. I'm in my forties and I noticed that the wrinkles were setting in as well as discoloration too. Totally nasty right? and why am I tellin you my sob story right? well I tried the at home dermabrassion kits and voila, no more acne! I had figured that if I couldn't do something for the acnee at least I could try to fix the discoloration, as well as the lines but low and behold somehow it did work on my acnee. So maybe your dermatologist was right. I hope this helps you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts