Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this a lot, for some reason people think I look like I am from AFrica, whatever that means, but no I am African American.

I noticed that sometimes the lighter I get, the MORE people presume I am from Africa. When I was really dark as a little girl, no one EVER asked me that.

I know people think that certain features look better with certain skin tones..so if I have West African features, what skin tone should I try to be?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am sure that your post was not mean to be offensive, but as a West African who has seen Africans in all shades, hues, complexions, hair types etc... there really is no "skin color" to be. If you want to lighten your skin just do it safely. I am sure that you are attractive and will look fine with whatever you decided, but really West Africans with west African features come in all skin tones. Pick the shade that you think is most complimentary to you and work towards it.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I agree with Noir97. Yours is a good example of why working slowly is better than trying to go for kamikaze speed lightening. As you lighten gradually, you can gauge what looks best with your facial & body structure as well as yr personal preference. When you get to a colour you really like & feel good in, switch to a maintenance regimen to keep it as it is. As for people guessing about your ethnicity, forget about them Nobody has ever correctly guessed mine. Ever. Some women (Alec Wek, the model Lakshmi) look breath-taking with very dark skin. Alec would look washed-out & sickly with a Mariah Carey complexion. Others look smashing with white skin (Nicole Kidman). Go with what works with your unique look & your taste.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I agree with ondine, there are always gonna be people that will point out things that make you feel uncomfortable....but who gives a walking f*$k! Just choose what you like and more often than not, the confidence you gain will cause others to appreciate the new you as much as you do.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Those 2 countries are both on the extreme Eastern side of Africa.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Oprah's ancestors were of Nigerian West African stock. There are many West Africans & Sudanese & people from Niger in QC (easier to integrate when you speak French already). While there is a lot of variation in skin lightness (typically from medium brown like Oprah's to vert black). Typically, you see wider, broader faces & broader features & widely spaced eyes. This by no means describes 'everyone' any more than 'most' white people look like Gwynneth Paltrow but you get the general idea.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
O dine when I first saw your pic, I swore you were Ethiopian or Somalian, even Northern Sudanese. Especially when several of my Ethiopian friends live in Canada (Ontario).

·
Registered
625 Posts
I get this a lot, for some reason people think I look like I am from AFrica, whatever that means, but no I am African American.

I noticed that sometimes the lighter I get, the MORE people presume I am from Africa. When I was really dark as a little girl, no one EVER asked me that.

I know people think that certain features look better with certain skin tones..so if I have West African features, what skin tone should I try to be?
What's wron with being from AFRICA?? Or West Africa? I'm from Africa and I'm pround of it. There are many light skinned peoples in Africa without being mixed, in Congo for instance the BALUBA people.
You are often being asked if you are 'African' or 'West African' because you probably have a broad nose and thick lips like the Baluba people. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Black, or whatever race, is beautiful and you must be proud of the features god gave you. IMO if you lighten you skin do it to correct imperfections not to change your 'race' or what you were born to be.

Anyways, go to the complexion you want, but the main thing is to be happy with yourself inside first.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
what's wrong with having west African features? I think african people are beautiful regardless of the different skin tones, they are strong, friendly to be around and exude great confidence in themselves. Also, west african women from countries like Mali, Ghana, Nigeria, Niger, etc. they have exotic beauties- the one mainstream celebrity I can think of that has true west african features is Tyra Banks and she is gorgeous, you cant not stop and look if you walk by her.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
265 Posts
everyone is right. Try to gauge the shade that YOU feel most comfortable with with your features. Remember beauty is all about you and how you feel not how other people feel.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
African women are exotic and beautiful, many different features and complexions. It should be taken as a compliment.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
DBG never implied that there was anything wrong with being or looking West African. She seemed to be trying to figure out what skin tone would best suit her features. THere are some incredibly astonishing beauties in west Africa. There's a woman from Ghana who lives nearby whose beauty is so unique & striking that it is hard to describe. It is also about the graceful walk, dignified carriage & impeccable posture she has. There's so much more to beauty than mere facial features & colour. It is a whole package.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hey! Sango nini?

What's wron with being from AFRICA?? Or West Africa? I'm from Africa and I'm pround of it. There are many light skinned peoples in Africa without being mixed, in Congo for instance the BALUBA people.
You are often being asked if you are 'African' or 'West African' because you probably have a broad nose and thick lips like the Baluba people. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Black, or whatever race, is beautiful and you must be proud of the features god gave you. IMO if you lighten you skin do it to correct imperfections not to change your 'race' or what you were born to be.

Anyways, go to the complexion you want, but the main thing is to be happy with yourself inside first.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Actually, i have thin lips, my lips aren't very full. I see people who are lighter than me with very African features who never get asked if they are from AFrican. They ask me that because I'm dark. I just don't like people asking me if I'm from african because when people think of beauty, someone who is dark with west african features doesn't come to mind. Most of the beautiful black women in america have mixed features. So I don't want to look like West AFricans, and a lot of the ones I come across think they're ugly or not as pretty as lighterskin people

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what's wrong with having west African features? I think african people are beautiful regardless of the different skin tones, they are strong, friendly to be around and exude great confidence in themselves. Also, west african women from countries like Mali, Ghana, Nigeria, Niger, etc. they have exotic beauties- the one mainstream celebrity I can think of that has true west african features is Tyra Banks and she is gorgeous, you cant not stop and look if you walk by her.
Tyra Banks doesn't have West African features at all. She also had a lot of plastic surgery to narrow her nose and other features. When I think of West African Tyra doesn't come to mind at all. She looks more like East Africans

·
Registered
625 Posts
.. Most of the beautiful black women in america have mixed features. So I don't want to look like West AFricans, and a lot of the ones I come across think they're ugly or not as pretty as lighterskin people
you obviously don't like Africa or african features saying the things you say. I feel sorry for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
DarkBlackGirl, IMO u sound very ignorant. Very stereotypical. I surely feel sorry for u and ur ignorance. Get to travel and get rid of of that type of thinking. Does it mean all AA people are thugs and un-educated???????? It is nothing but a stereotype. U look for a stereotype of any race you will find it. You educate yourself about other people that are different from you, u will probably live a happier life. Sorry I am just saying like it is! This is my 1st and last post on this topic. Cheers
Time is precious, Life is short!
As a matter of fact Tyra Banks looks very Ethopian IMO!

1 - 20 of 207 Posts