·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're Welcome!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thank you GoddessOfEarth for this interesting link.

What I tried to do was to watch the audience too. Note how all the people going boo-hoo-hoo & tsk-tsk-tsk are ALREADY light skinned! Not a single dark skinned person passed negative judgment or looked shocked that someone would make this choice. I admired the frankness of the women on-stage. That must NOT have been easy to do! Who is the light-skinned green eyed Tyra to pass judgment on these women? Had she looked the same as she does BUT with dark skin & brown eyes, she would NOT be where she is. Unless one has shared these women's experiences, they ought to LISTEN & LEARN; not sob & judge.

The only thing I was really uncomfortable with was the way she was bleaching her children. This is a decision that ought to be left up to the boys once they reach adulthood. Had she wanted light-skinned children, she should've chosen a light skinned man to be their father as it would increase the odds of that outcome.

Often times when whites hear of black people lightening their skin they too react with shock & sadness. For those who have held privileged positions in their respective societies, it must be difficult to understand the impact that being underprivileged has upon others. They CAN say 'you are beautiful the way you are blablabla' BUT they cannot feel what it is like to have experienced what these women have. If by lightenig their skin their socioeconomic status can improve or simply their social standing in their own community, who can blame them for wanting to access that? I now that Indian actress Aishwarya Rai has spoken out against skin bleaching. She says she does not use or condone using these creams. In the case of F&F cream for men, she said that 'real Indian men do not go for that'.

Well, of COURSE she doesn't comprehend the impetus for lightening creams. She's virtually white herself & blue eyed too. She has never been any other way. An interesting experiment for the Tyras & Aishwaryas of the worls would be to be transformed (stage makeup) into typically darker (BROWN) women with brown eyes & typically dark hair for a week or so & record their experience. BOTH are accustomed to a big deal being made of their looks. Being suddenly ignored or worse, stereotyped would prove eye-opening. Tyra won't even appear on her own show with her own hair! Obviously, black is not so beautiful to her when she has to apply it to her own person.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you GoddessOfEarth for this interesting link.

What I tried to do was to watch the audience too. Note how all the people going boo-hoo-hoo & tsk-tsk-tsk are ALREADY light skinned! Not a single dark skinned person passed negative judgment or looked shocked that someone would make this choice. I admired the frankness of the women on-stage. That must NOT have been easy to do! Who is the light-skinned green eyed Tyra to pass judgment on these women? Had she looked the same as she does BUT with dark skin & brown eyes, she would NOT be where she is. Unless one has shared these women's experiences, they ought to LISTEN & LEARN; not sob & judge.

The only thing I was really uncomfortable with was the way she was bleaching her children. This is a decision that ought to be left up to the boys once they reach adulthood. Had she wanted light-skinned children, she should've chosen a light skinned man to be their father as it would increase the odds of that outcome.

Often times when whites hear of black people lightening their skin they too react with shock & sadness. For those who have held privileged positions in their respective societies, it must be difficult to understand the impact that being underprivileged has upon others. They CAN say 'you are beautiful the way you are blablabla' BUT they cannot feel what it is like to have experienced what these women have. If by lightenig their skin their socioeconomic status can improve or simply their social standing in their own community, who can blame them for wanting to access that? I now that Indian actress Aishwarya Rai has spoken out against skin bleaching. She says she does not use or condone using these creams. In the case of F&F cream for men, she said that 'real Indian men do not go for that'.

Well, of COURSE she doesn't comprehend the impetus for lightening creams. She's virtually white herself & blue eyed too. She has never been any other way. An interesting experiment for the Tyras & Aishwaryas of the worls would be to be transformed (stage makeup) into typically darker (BROWN) women with brown eyes & typically dark hair for a week or so & record their experience. BOTH are accustomed to a big deal being made of their looks. Being suddenly ignored or worse, stereotyped would prove eye-opening. Tyra won't even appear on her own show with her own hair! Obviously, black is not so beautiful to her when she has to apply it to her own person.
lol

EXACTLY !!!

that was making me mad too watching that most of the ppl in the audience were already light and not black so they couldn't understand ....

AND WHAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF IS ...the fact that the lady is screwing up her kids life by engraving those concepts in their brain !!!

i feel so bad for those kids...does anyone understand why don't ppl like that just marry light skin ..instead of getting with a dark person and MAKING THEIR KIDS GO THROUGH HELL !!!

i mean that disgusts me..i was watching the recent episode about good hair...same thing

sad

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Latavia made sure her child was mixed! She was prepared!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
What would Tyra say about white people going to tan, i would like to see, how people will react to this. Do white people wants to look like black people?

Has women, we all tend to do something to our skin the will make it appear, better, if, it is thru lightening the skin. Some black womwn look better with light skin, some do not, some white women look better with tanned skin, some do not,
The issue is the way of lightening: we need to find a safer way. Each show, i wacth on skin lightening, they always bring the extreme, and they do not bring comparaison with white people tanning. When you look at some black celebrities before and after picture, you will be shocked, i do not think applying only ''cocoa butter'' made them light.
Why Tyra has green eyes, long and blond wig? if lightening is a sickness, wearing green lenses, front lace wig, is a sickness too, why do not love your eyes, or your hair and braid it or wear an afro???
They know, they can not invite me at these show...

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
To the best of my recollection, Tyra is green eyed naturally. The hair, though, is patently phony & her skin is definitely lighter than it was when she first emerged as an actress (Fresh Prince of Bel Air) & model. You are right that cocoa butter is NOT a lightening agent: it is an emollient.

For women like those on the stage, I completely understand their reasoning, with the exception of instilling this bias in children as they will develop biases & prejudices on their own, unfortunately. I wonder if she favours her lighter skinned child over the others? Extremes bring viewers flocking to these shows. I don't believe Tyra has any business speaking to the 3 children without their mother present & in front of the cameras, about anything going on in their home. This requires a type of training Ms. Banks simply doesn't have. It shows whenever she interviews children. It is one thing to ask a kid 'how's school' or 'how do you like our knew house' but any questioning about a sensitive personal or domestic issue ought to be left to those qualified to do it.

So true, New York, that tanners get off easily. Nobody ever accuses a white person risking cancer (a FACT; not an urban legend!) of hating themselves so much that they are willing to risk disfiguremenr & death to become Hispanics or mixed-race people. Why is that? It speaks to who IS & who is NOT privileged in the society. As privileged people, they have seized the right to make whatever choices for themeslves that they damned well please & nobody dares be too critical of them (except people like US
). How dare WE seize the same right? Using scare tactics, abusive legislation like banning or controlling HQ like if it was crack, & subjecting us to public shaming has deterred many from doing what they WANT to do but don't DARE to do. I am NOT caucasian & I do not want to be caucasian. I am happy with the mixture that comprises my ancestry. As a mixed race person, I haooened to inherit very fine features, so-called 'good' hair BUT the wrong skin tone to go with the rest. As you said, some people look better with colour (imagine Denzel with white skin?
) & others look better with less of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with a lot of the comments in this thread. I hate how some people like to downplay issues that do not affect them personally. Even some other message boards I frequent, I have witnessed the biases of the Light Skin/Dark Skin issue first hand. I see how many of the women who are already light skin and hence not negatively affected would always tell other darker complected women to just "get over it", or "it's all in your head" so to speak. It is so easy to take this attitude when you do not have first hand knowledge how those persons affected have had to fair through life.

And Tyra really should quit while she's ahead, just like many others have already pointed out, she can't even wear her "real" hair color, let alone her real damn hair. If that isn't hypocritical I don't know what is. And as for her and others who like to bring up the dangers of skin bleaching and all the other nonsense, she as well as others should also realize that those chemicals, "strong chemicals" that they use to attach those lace wigs around the perimeter of their heads could also be dangerous, and potentially cancer-causing.

The older I get, I tend to just shrug off opinions like these, especially from hypocritical people who can't even follow their own advice..lol!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
LOL HisDesire; it is akin to Oprah preaching about weight loss! How long has she been struggling to reach her goal? With a personal chef & a team of experts, you'd think she'd be fit by now. REPEATING the advice WON'T WORK; you have to TAKE the advice!

Whenever they show skin lightening black women on TV, they always trot out some sad beleaguered impoverished single mother. It gives the impression that this is the only face of skin lightening. Where are the upper class Asian women? Where are the middle/upper middle class black women who already have the education, fine home & good husband? These women (like myself) are NOT lightening to access 'economic gain' or to 'get more attention' (although I DID notice that I WAS getting more attention from people in certain cultures with my lighter skin) OR to snag a 'better class' of man. We are doing out of an esthetic preference. What about WHITE women speckled with freckles they do not like? Where are those who hyperpigmented from melasma, Addison's disease (like JFK) or sun exposure? Endless parades of downtrodden people implies that lightening appeals only to desperate people. Historically, there reverse has been more accurate!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I viewed the show and had mixed emotions. Society definitely has placed an unrealistic standard of beauty on women of color, especially women of African descent. Tyra's criticism of the women was a bit harsh, considering her natural coloring. I agree, she had a darker complexion, shorter hair and a traditionally west-african nose, prior to becoming a modeling superstar (all beautiful, as well). She lightened her complexion, got rhinoplasty and a blonde lace wig to advance her career. I actually think that she made the right decisions to advance her career (she had no choice), but she should not do these things and then turn around and parade other women of African descent like a freak show. She could have handled the show in a more dignified manner.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I noticed how the doctor on the show tried to avoid saying bleaching was bad because she looked very even toned and bleached herself and she claims she prescribes bleaching creams too but for "spot treatment". If its good for spot treatment, then it should be good for whatever you chose to use it for IMO as long as it's done in moderation

·
Registered
22 Posts
First of all, i think Tyra expliots black women, I was not very happy about the show and any of the shows that she does on black women, she makes the non black community view black women in a bad light. I think she is a hypocrite, I know she has and is still using products to lighten her skin, when she first started she was not that almost white looking, the only difference is that she has the money to use safer non chemical induced products that work better,have you ever seen her rockin her natural hair, only on that wack episode she had, and she had it prof done. The only thing I can agree on was that the women bleaching her kids was wrong.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I would like for Tyra to have a show on how she had 2 nose jobs to have her nose chiseled down? And how she said the modeling industry gave her a hard time in the beginning because of her nose and later changing it, and at the same time is hypocritical with others. And why she wears straightened golden-blond remy wigs, why not wear a curly fro instead? ...weird

·
Registered
258 Posts
First of all, i think Tyra expliots black women, I was not very happy about the show and any of the shows that she does on black women, she makes the non black community view black women in a bad light. I think she is a hypocrite, I know she has and is still using products to lighten her skin, when she first started she was not that almost white looking, the only difference is that she has the money to use safer non chemical induced products that work better,have you ever seen her rockin her natural hair, only on that wack episode she had, and she had it prof done. The only thing I can agree on was that the women bleaching her kids was wrong.
I agree tyra is such a hypocrite, and its so obvious she bleaches her skin too!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
wow its funny(not really) how one of the ladies was like i have sensitive skin so one nite i put liquid bleach on my face gawwwd your dumb
and tyra is ridic i really do wish she would of treated this show with more class and its silly how she is acting like she is just discovering people use skin bleach!!! really tyra im sure you makeup artist smears it on you every day ha! it disgusts me how she exploits and shames her guest in a biased public forum

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
As someone in the fashion/cosmetics industry for over 20 yrs, she obviously knew much more than she let on. She has an agenda: shaming women out of making the choice to lighten. Had she instead chosen to objectively discuss the issue, weighing the pros & cons & looking at safety concerns, the history of skin lightening (which preceeds colonization by Europeans), it would've been a more accurate portrayal of the issue. Remember, though, that Tyra is NOT a journalist, a sociologist, a psychologist or an educator. She's a beautiful retired supermodel. She has the show because she's sure to draw viewers. Teen girls & young women love the show. I find I cannot watch it due to becoming frustrated over some of this inaccuracies & the overall shoddy journalism. She is an authority on the modelling industy yet her next top model' show has yet to produce a single viable top model! Despite her assertions about all a model must be able to do, most supermodels are discovered randomly walking down the street, in line at the cinema or some other unlikely pplace. The're literally schoolgirls at MacDonald's one day & on a flight to Paris a week later. No big training is given. It is a certain LOOK they need to have: tall, slim, long limbs, good bones, wide eyes. I take what she says with a huge grain of salt.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"""""""""""""""""""'I take what she says with a huge grain of salt."""""""""" indeed indeed haha me to ondine, she def does have an agenda and ill admit i watch her show sometimes because sometimes her topics are ridiculous and me and my brother like to make fun of her and the guests...but back to the point its a shame that there is such a stigma about skin lightening maybe (scratch that maybe ) i have become affected by it and i tuly commend these women for haveing the "balls" to take about what i sure as hell would never talk about on national televison

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
It did take a lot for them to come forwards & publicly admit to feeling the way did about their colour. I just hope that the mom lady has decided to leave her kids alone re lightening creams. A good sunblock is all a child of any colour needs. Who knows? Once they're older, they may resent their mother's interference with their natural complexion & tired of having to smear on lightening creams. Altering anything about a healthy child is a peeve of mine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts