Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to do my TCA peel. I have done some spots on my hands and one on my forehead. I've used it on my feet and legs. So I'm sufficiently sure I will not make myself look like Frankenstein, at least not permanently, if I do my face.

I've seen many of you offer to do hand holding through this, so I'm taking you up on your offer.

I have been using the Obagi stuff, NuDerm, for 8 weeks. I have been using Retin-A, 1%, along with that every night. I use Kassy's C serum in the morning with my "regimen." I think my face is prepped. So do I need to STOP the Retin-A and all that for a while before I do the TCA?

Question 1 - Do I stop the Retin-A and if so how long before I do the peel?
2 - Do I continue to wash my face and use any products from the time I put the peel on till I start to peel?
3 - When I start to peel, do I let it peel on my own or do I use an exfoliator to "hurry it up"?
4 - When the peel is over, do I resume my "regimen" or should I then start using something a little less harsh, since I will have this new beautiful pink skin?

Thanks in advance!!!

Oh, I'm 52 and have long neglected my skin. 8 weeks ago is the first I've ever done anything in the way of skin repair or maintenance. My skin is dry, but since I've done the Obagi, it's in pretty good shape now.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there is a ton of information on this in a ton of threads, but I wanted to just ask MY questions and not have to read through a bunch of threads. I hope that's okay. I know it's a pain to have so many threads about one topic, but when it comes to acid and my face, I would rather get yelled at than be a freakshow!!!

So let's be good students, Fawnie, so they don't get mad at me!! LOL!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
1. Yes I would stop the RA for at least one week before doing the peel.
2. Use the peel at night, put on ointment if you are really red by morning it will be like gator hide and crinkly. After that you can start using RA at night to speed the peeling.
3. See #2
4. I waited about a week after the peel to resume the RA but a nice moisturizer should be ok really depends on you, your skin and the % TCA you are doing.

Tips, drink one or 2 of those sparkly spirit drinks Fawnie likes before putting on the TCA

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
edit: OOPS! I didn't read goat's post before posting this!

I have the 12.5% TCA peel kit from MUAC...Is that what you have FancyPants?

I am d/c'ing my retin-a for 10 days before doing my patch test and going to use a glycolic acid wash (Jan Marini BioGlycolic Wash) -probably overkill I know.

I have read that a hyaluronic acid product used after the application will help moisturize but not inhibit the peel.

I have also read that if the peel doesn't start peeling by the 4th day, a little Retin-A will jumpstart it.

Other than this, I am as interested as you in getting some "hand-holding" as I go!! When are you planning yours? D-Day for me is going to be next FRi 9/25....dun dun DUN dun...

Jeez goat I dunno about the sparkly spirit drink before doing this....I might forget to watch the time or something.....

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like your style, Goatlady!! Sparkly drinks coming up. Okay. So by next weekend, Sunday, I should be good to put the peel on.

So, during the week to 10 days it takes to peel all the way off, do I wash my face with cleanser, use any products at all?

And then when it's over, what should I use for cleansing, toning, brightening or lightening or whatnot?

Right now with the Obagi, in a.m., I do cleanse, tone, Vit C, hydroquinone, exfoliator cream, sunfader and sunscreen, and then moisturizer. In p.m., I do cleanse, toner, hydroquinone and Retin-A, moisturizer. I'm hoping I can do away with some of this after the peel b/c it's expensive, and it's time consuming, and I don't think I'll need it all.

Am I right?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
just don't do more than 2 sparkly drinks and you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Fawnie!

Hey, Goatlady, can I do it Friday with Fawnie? It could be like a retreat where we go to a fancy spa and do the treatment together, only in cyberspace!! LOL!

I have 30%, Fawnie, and I'm going to dilute it down to 12.5%.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Really if your skin does ok you should be able to use most of those things after. Just depends. If you are super pink after I would just moisturize for a while. Nothing too harsh on that new skin. Give it a chance to regenerate and heal. Gentle cleansers and moisture. I am sure the Rat will have some advice also she is a peel vet. But it will all depend on your skin.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Holy BEEP I would only do the 30% on my arms. Please do dilute by at least half! Yes you guys do it together Friday make it a peel date. I can't wait

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
And of course a good sunscreen!!
I am concerned about the sunscreen thing tho....most of mine are very thick and sticky (Avene Emulsion, Bioderm Photoderm) that are high SPF/PPD.

Is that going to be bad trying to get them off the peeling skin? How did yu manage that goat?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum BEFORE I did it. Because there is nothing that says to dilute it in my literature. I would've put 30% on straight out of the bottle if I hadn't read all your great advice here. THANK GOD! I did 30% on my legs and it was fine. Just a little flaking. Man, it made my feet smooth! It never even flaked or peeled or even got red or itchy, just really nice smooth skin, even my heels. And trust me when I say, those heels were tough! I had the cracks and the peeling. And I get pedicures all the time. Couldn't ever find anything to make them smoothe. But that 30% TCA did the trick. I put a layer of Jessner's on first, then the 30% layered twice on my heels. Great result!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You're way ahead of me then, fancypants! I've never done a TCA peel myself altho I've had glycolic peels (what a waste of money - they didn't do any more than a microfiber cloth would do IMO.)
So you pick the day!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We can do Friday. I had already scaled back from the 1% Retin-A to the .5 or .05 or whatever it is for the past week. And I didn't put any on last night in anticipation of starting this. So I think Friday will be fine.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I don't recall having any trouble getting the sunscreen off. I just cleanse good, then use my cloth.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't recall having any trouble getting the sunscreen off. I just cleanse good, then use my cloth.
Okay, I know I sound like a dunce. But here goes anyway. I'm not proud!

I put the peel on Friday, wait the required amount of time, rinse it off with the neutralizer. Okay. Then do I put sunscreen on right then? Moisturizer?

I wake up Saturday morning. Do I wash my face with cleanser? Do I put sunscreen on? Do I wash it Saturday night before I go to bed?

Can you tell I'm a little freaked out by all this!!!??? LOL! Go ahead, tell me I'm a dork. I know it.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Do the peel at night on a very clean face. Don't put anything on it except some ointment if you are really red. Go to bed when you get up your skin should be crinkly and dry like. If you go out do as you would put on sunscreen but not much of anything else. You won't really need it. After a day or so start using the RA at night to speed up the peel.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I heart you, Goatlady!! LOL!!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
aw shucks now you are making me feel all speshul and junk tee hee

1 - 20 of 95 Posts