Skin Care Talk banner

I want to try a new foundation

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  fawnie 
#1 ·
Do you ladies have any recommendations? I feel like experimenting with something completely new and different.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ruby and Millie Liquid base definatley. I cant seem to use anything else. Its really light and really really thin. The idea is that you can build it up in 'layers' where you need it most, but the coverage is so good if you have good skin you only need to use a very small amount so it lasts ages. I thought it was too runny at first so bought a different one and felt absolutley caked up it was awful where as the Ruby and Millie you dont really feel like you have much makeup on at all.

#7 ·
I have used Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place foundation for many years and I'm still very pleased with the results. It is not a very fluid or light foundation, it's middle to heavy coverage which is what I need most of the time. Once you apply, it stays on for hours without changing colors and it's fairly easy to touch up at the end of the day if you're going out right after work. I love it!

#8 ·
Rayoflight: Sorry the Estee Lauder did not work for you. As I said previously I just love it, but like they say, different strokes for different folks! Thanks for recommending the Sisley eye balm, I'll be sure to give it a try.

#10 ·
I've used Virtual Skin by Perscriptives forever. I'm sad to know the line is being discontinued. Hopefully, I will get to the point that I will need minimal foundation. I just couldn't imagine! What will I do with all my concealer?
Also I have Giorgio Armani's foundation. It was a little too "dewy" for my skin.

#15 ·
Yes, I agree with Fawnie, a lot of the brands mentioned on SCT are not available in the U.S. and it's difficult to match skin tones to the printed samples you see online. I have a policy of never buying makeup or clothing without first trying it.

#17 ·
There are places that offer free samples online for you to try. Ocean Mist and Signature Minerals were ones I have tried before. You pay for the shipping but that is much less than buying a full size product and finding out it doesn't work for you.

#18 ·
I have also decided to make my own mineral make-up. There are tons of kits you can buy to start formulating on your own. I have made 2 different batches for myself and some for my sister as well. I can tweek the formulations until I am happy with it. The kits give you plenty of ingredients to work with and there are lots of available recipes online. This way, I can make exactly what I want. If I don't like the way it feels or the colour, I add some other ingredients or make a new batch altogether. As the weather changes, I have lessened the amount of zinc oxide and lessened the oil absorbancy for something more moisturizing and less coverage. I see this as the ultimate in customized make up. TKB Trading has a kit for $50 (+$15 for shipping to Canada). It includes EVERYTHING you need including containers. It may seem daunting but when you actually dive into that project, it is really very easy. Coastal Scents has a free recipe formulator with a few foundation bases you can try. I usually make a larger batch of base (about 50g at a time). I have now bought a digital scale that measures 0.01g to make my recipes. I think I made 10g of beige colour concentrate. I use 10g of base to every 1.5 of 1.0cc scoop of colour concentrate. Keep in mind that a 30g container contains about 6g to 8g of product. I make enough for 2 containers at a time. I still have about 6 containers of purchased mineral foundation but I love the ones I've made that I have no desire to use them anymore. They used to be my HG foundation. Now I love what I've made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.