Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used sunscreen on and off for the past few years. I am in my early 20s. Just now, I have been using it everyday.

I have never cared for the sun, or the heat, but I have spent a great deal of time out in the sun, without sunscreen, I'm wondering, can this affect me too even though my skin is very dark (think Gabrielle Union color); like aging?

I've always taken care of my skin, and use retin a, and a moisturizer. I'm hoping I'm out the right track to keeping my youthful looks.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The sun can definitely age dark black skin, no skin is an exception, keep doing what you are doing now, use the retin-A at night, moisturizer and sunblock in the morning everyday. Btw, dark black skin people look incredibly young even in their 70s and 80s b/c I have had many friends, family friends, etc. and the people at my old neighborhood, the mom and pop and grandmas and pas were 50+ with dark black skin and they looked like they were in their late 20s and early thirties and they didnt use sunblock or anything their whole life. So imagine if you are using the sunblock, retin-a, and moisturizer then you would look even younger when you are 50+, you would probably look like you are in your twenties. Dark skin people age so well and with proper skincare like RA, and sunblock they could look the same way for decades.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
180 Posts
You do have built in protection that white skin does not have, BUT skin is skin and the sun is the sun...You definitely need to protect your skin from the sun ESPECIALLY if you have mixed heritage. You can still get skin cancer even if the signs of aging do not show up....Don't ever forget that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The sun can definitely age dark black skin, no skin is an exception, keep doing what you are doing now, use the retin-A at night, moisturizer and sunblock in the morning everyday. Btw, dark black skin people look incredibly young even in their 70s and 80s b/c I have had many friends, family friends, etc. and the people at my old neighborhood, the mom and pop and grandmas and pas were 50+ with dark black skin and they looked like they were in their late 20s and early thirties and they didnt use sunblock or anything their whole life. So imagine if you are using the sunblock, retin-a, and moisturizer then you would look even younger when you are 50+, you would probably look like you are in your twenties. Dark skin people age so well and with proper skincare like RA, and sunblock they could look the same way for decades.
I'll never forget being at a salon and a cute, petite dark-skinned (IIRC darker than Lauryn Hill but lighter than Alek Wek) girl-woman came in who I initially thought was maybe 17 years old

...I almost fainted when she told us she was in her late thirties. You could have scraped me off the floor. I get chills right now typing this, she looked so young.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts