Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Thanks for the recipe Lordm. Doesn't it make your day when someone gives you a compliment like that? Good for you! Obviously you are doing something right.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Ok, So this is what happened and this is why I'm "smooth"!

I went to the pool last night with a friend of mine and his girlfriend. They are both 20 somethings, more like half my age.
I had my bathing suit on under my clothes and when I took off my clothes they both looked at me but then they didn't look away. My friend said wow! you look great! and asked if he could feel my skin. Then his girlfriend walks up and says wow she's so smooth!? They both kept looking at me and I thought OK so I'm smooth can we swim? LOL. Anyway, I'm not sure what smooth is but I think smooth must be a good! I started laughing and asked his girlfriend what smooth was? I've heard of wow! you look great, hot, etc. but never you look "smooth"! She asked what I use on my skin and I told her I make my own body lotion. So I figured it must be the lotion I use that makes me smooth! Here is the recipe if you want to be smooth too.

100% natural shea butter (about 1/4 amount in mixture) shea butter is shiny so I don't use it as the main base.
cocoa butter (the main mixture)
Red Palm Oil (use lots as long as it doesn't make the mixture too thin)
Almond Oil (I use a whole bottle) probably about 1/3 of the red Palm Oil.
I don't measure anything, I just mix all the ingredients together until I like the texture of the lotion.
Thanks for the recipe.
How long can you store this lotion?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how long you can store it. I make it in a 12 oz size container and make fresh when I run out.
I live in florida and it sinks in my skin and it doesn't feel too heavy or greasy.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I don't know how long you can store it. I make it in a 12 oz size container and make fresh when I run out.
I live in florida and it sinks in my skin and it doesn't feel too heavy or greasy.
Thanks Lordm. I wll trying making this lotion once I ran out of my current one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi lordm, thanks so much for the recipe. I'm absolutely useless at DIY ing anything and was wondering if the next time you mix up a new batch if you could see roughly how much of each product you use? sorry to be a pain but I know that left to my own devises it will turn out all wrong

For starters can you tell me how big a bottle of almond oil you use, and am I right in thinking that the almond all is 1/3 of the amount of red palm oil that you use thanks once again for the recipe

Ps what should the texture be like...a lotion or a butter?

·
Registered
98 Posts
and...is the red palm oil in liquid form or is it like the stuff I've just seen and it look a little like mashed carrots?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
and...is the red palm oil in liquid form or is it like the stuff I've just seen and it look a little like mashed carrots?
Hi Ely,

I have seen the same picture for the red palm oil on the net. It is like mashed carrots at room temperature a bit like coconut oil. When you heat it or rub it against your fingers, it will liquidify.

I make simple recipes and most of the stuffs that I need I get it from Holland & Barett. Try googling your ingredients, you will get many uk sites that sell them. You can have a look at your local health shop too where you can get most of your DIY ingredients.

Good Luck! and do keep us posted on how it goes for u!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Where do you buy the palm oil? do you buy it in African store, the cooking oil?

Ok, So this is what happened and this is why I'm "smooth"!

I went to the pool last night with a friend of mine and his girlfriend. They are both 20 somethings, more like half my age.
I had my bathing suit on under my clothes and when I took off my clothes they both looked at me but then they didn't look away. My friend said wow! you look great! and asked if he could feel my skin. Then his girlfriend walks up and says wow she's so smooth!? They both kept looking at me and I thought OK so I'm smooth can we swim? LOL. Anyway, I'm not sure what smooth is but I think smooth must be a good! I started laughing and asked his girlfriend what smooth was? I've heard of wow! you look great, hot, etc. but never you look "smooth"! She asked what I use on my skin and I told her I make my own body lotion. So I figured it must be the lotion I use that makes me smooth! Here is the recipe if you want to be smooth too.

100% natural shea butter (about 1/4 amount in mixture) shea butter is shiny so I don't use it as the main base.
cocoa butter (the main mixture)
Red Palm Oil (use lots as long as it doesn't make the mixture too thin)
Almond Oil (I use a whole bottle) probably about 1/3 of the red Palm Oil.
I don't measure anything, I just mix all the ingredients together until I like the texture of the lotion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
is there anything else I can use in place of the red palm oil....just read an article that made me feel guilty about buying it...wish I hadn't...ignorance really is bliss....Lordm said that she thought it was the red palm oil that made the skin look "smooth"....any ideas guys?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Great recipe, thanks for sharing.. I want to be a smooth Florida girl too..

I've never used Almond Oil, but I do love and use the other ingredients and they are fairly stable with quite a long shelf life.. Getting past that potent 'palm oil' smell is the task, but soooo worth it!

·
Registered
353 Posts
is there anything else I can use in place of the red palm oil....just read an article that made me feel guilty about buying it...wish I hadn't...ignorance really is bliss....
Uh oh, why the guilt?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kassy,it's just me getting my knickers in a twist because when I googled palm oil, I read some articles that stated that the way in which it is grown has had a detrimental affect on both the climate and certain indigenous species of animals...and I am one of those people that feels guilty about everything!!!
I've researched it a bit more and have found that you can buy so called " sustainable" palm oil.....but now you've got me thinking about the smell....how bad is it!?...if I'm stinking to high heaven, smooth skin or no smooth skin my hubby ain't going to be too happy!!!
I also read that macedemia nut oil is very high in palmites...would that be a good alternative?
BTW I want to take the opportunity to thank you so much for the fantastic vitamin c serum recipe and sharing your extensive knowlege .....I'm lovin' it!!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Kassy,it's just me getting my knickers in a twist because when I googled palm oil, I read some articles that stated that the way in which it is grown has had a detrimental affect on both the climate and certain indigenous species of animals...and I am one of those people that feels guilty about everything!!!
I've researched it a bit more and have found that you can buy so called " sustainable" palm oil.....but now you've got me thinking about the smell....how bad is it!?...if I'm stinking to high heaven, smooth skin or no smooth skin my hubby ain't going to be too happy!!!
I also read that macedemia nut oil is very high in palmites...would that be a good alternative?
BTW I want to take the opportunity to thank you so much for the fantastic vitamin c serum recipe and sharing your extensive knowlege .....I'm lovin' it!!!!
Ah, you're very sweet, and I thank you humbly for the kind words.. Glad your lovin the serum..

The Virgin Palm Oil that I use is just very pungent.. It's loaded with all the carotenes (vit A) which cause the orangy color, has tons of all the tocopherols (vit E) which can be (shall we say) fishy smelling when pure..

The beauty of it though, is that you can use 1 part palm oil to 5 parts coconut oil, and you will still reap the benefits without the *funk*.. LOL!

Sometimes when I'm all alone for the day, I douse myself in the stuff on it's own, and then shower, shower, shower..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kassy what does your palm oil look like? I've seen 2 types on the inernet, one is a proper oil used for cooking and the other is solid, like mashed carrots..which one is the right one? thanks so much

·
Registered
60 Posts
this sounds amazing I hope you don't mind if i steal this and possibly use it in a blog in the near future

1 - 20 of 74 Posts