Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been in denial for a while now, and have been so hoping not to have to post this.

I have so enjoyed my time with you all and feel like I finally have people to confide in. I have come to feel like you are my friends, and I sooo appreciate all your advice and support.

But this morning after looking at my face in the mirror I feel VERY depressed and have had the last wake up call I need. Yet another new pit/valley/depressed scar in my face! And I'm looking more orange than ever. Obviously this routine doesn't work for everyone. I have decided to stop it before my skin gets any worse.

My skin is worse now in so many ways than when I started the HQ/RA.

I now have MORE scars in my face than when I started. By scars, I mean indented scars, not just marks. It seems like the RA is eating away at my skin. Has NO ONE else experienced this??? I remember this is why I stopped using RA all over my face ten years ago and only used a small amount under my eyes. I STILL have little pits from back then. I even remember the phrase I used to have in my head 'The Ravages of Retin-A'. I just thought maybe back then I was using it wrong and have been doing it properly this time and following everyone's advice. I just keep wondering when my skin will look better, but it is looking worse every day.

The right and left side of my neck which has always been perfect white is now orange and hyperpigmented too!

Every time I have to go out at night I end up apologising for the flakes that always start in the evening after being OK during the day. Another event tonight and now I don't even want to go.

When I was using Meladerm, even though my skin was still not great, now, looking back, it was the palest it has ever been in my life! I really should have stuck to it. The products in there obviously work better on my skin as everyone's skin is different. I just didn't realise what a good thing I was on! Every day I get up and expect to see something, and when I do, it is nothing like the real lightness I got from the Meladerm. I seem to be constantly powdering my face during the day to blend it into my neck/body, and remember on the Meladerm, not doing this as much as I thought it made me look too pale, and people would question me. I wish now I could go back in time.

I am scared to look in the mirror most mornings now fearing that I'll have a new scar. Like today. Any advice on how to get rid of those now?

The only thing giving me the energy to type this is that I'm just about to order some more Meladerm. I can't wait to get that fairness back, lose the orange tone and the flakes, wake up in the morning to smooth glowing skin again. Hopefully by Christmas, I'll be back to where I was.

I still want to stick around if you guys will still have me, and I don't want to put anyone else off the regime, as it works so well for so many of you. It's just the odd one like me that it doesn't work. Maybe it doesn't work so well for caucasians??

Sorry if this post is all over the place and not very well constructed but I'm pretty depressed at the moment.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I support you in stopping HQ/RA. Retin-A is NOT for everyone and thank yourself for noticing that your skin wasnt tolerating its benefits. I still want you to get rid of the scars/orange tan so if you have the money buy the fair and flawless 5xf lightening gel and give it a try, it exfoliate and lightens measurably in a matter of weeks. If I could order for you, I would. Otherwise, see your dermatologist for Azelex which is Azelaic Acid 20% just enough to make your skin even again. Another option is Differin, its a retinoid but unlike RA, it doesnt cause redness, irritation, skin scars, and peeling, it does undo all the damage effectively though, it undid Nina's forehead scars. Yes, I have noticed that HQ doesnt work so well for caucasians, it turns them red/irritated, sepiwhite or azelaic might be it as it has a more stable chemical structure which is resistent to sun/temp and air breakdown. You can go back to Meladerm and use it along with sepiwhite and azelex as its compatible. PLEASE stay on this forum, ask questions, and research about gentler options for your skin and pm me if you need other things.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
410 Posts
WAIT! Okay, i understand what you are talking about, I actually saw some hyperpigmentation occurring around my neck where it was always very light. But i would advise as well that you discontinue the use of it if after this long it hasn't produced any results, as with anything that you use. I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. But listen carefully to what I say below:

1) HQ does not work well on all skin types, it's different for different races especially Caucasians simply because of the type of melanin that is produced. It is a different kind completely to what asians and africans have in their skin. Which is why Caucasians usually would be better of using more natural products like arbutin or Kojic Acid.

2) I would personally recommend before you reorder Meladerm that you try TriLuma. I've personally seen it work wonders on caucasian skin to completely dissipate hyperpigmentation.

Use this with Sunscreen and Olive Oil/ Any other restoration oil for about two weeks and see if there is a difference. If not completely discontinue any product with HQ or RA.

Trust me on this, you can get back natural glowing white skin.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have been in denial for a while now, and have been so hoping not to have to post this.

I have so enjoyed my time with you all and feel like I finally have people to confide in. I have come to feel like you are my friends, and I sooo appreciate all your advice and support.

But this morning after looking at my face in the mirror I feel VERY depressed and have had the last wake up call I need. Yet another new pit/valley/depressed scar in my face! And I'm looking more orange than ever. Obviously this routine doesn't work for everyone. I have decided to stop it before my skin gets any worse.

My skin is worse now in so many ways than when I started the HQ/RA.

I now have MORE scars in my face than when I started. By scars, I mean indented scars, not just marks. It seems like the RA is eating away at my skin. Has NO ONE else experienced this??? I remember this is why I stopped using RA all over my face ten years ago and only used a small amount under my eyes. I STILL have little pits from back then. I even remember the phrase I used to have in my head 'The Ravages of Retin-A'. I just thought maybe back then I was using it wrong and have been doing it properly this time and following everyone's advice. I just keep wondering when my skin will look better, but it is looking worse every day.

The right and left side of my neck which has always been perfect white is now orange and hyperpigmented too!

Every time I have to go out at night I end up apologising for the flakes that always start in the evening after being OK during the day. Another event tonight and now I don't even want to go.

When I was using Meladerm, even though my skin was still not great, now, looking back, it was the palest it has ever been in my life! I really should have stuck to it. The products in there obviously work better on my skin as everyone's skin is different. I just didn't realise what a good thing I was on! Every day I get up and expect to see something, and when I do, it is nothing like the real lightness I got from the Meladerm. I seem to be constantly powdering my face during the day to blend it into my neck/body, and remember on the Meladerm, not doing this as much as I thought it made me look too pale, and people would question me. I wish now I could go back in time.

I am scared to look in the mirror most mornings now fearing that I'll have a new scar. Like today. Any advice on how to get rid of those now?

The only thing giving me the energy to type this is that I'm just about to order some more Meladerm. I can't wait to get that fairness back, lose the orange tone and the flakes, wake up in the morning to smooth glowing skin again. Hopefully by Christmas, I'll be back to where I was.

I still want to stick around if you guys will still have me, and I don't want to put anyone else off the regime, as it works so well for so many of you. It's just the odd one like me that it doesn't work. Maybe it doesn't work so well for caucasians??

Sorry if this post is all over the place and not very well constructed but I'm pretty depressed at the moment.
how long were you using HQ/RA?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Karen, I am sadden by your experience. Is the hyperpigmentation bad? How was your SPF regime and daily sun exposure?

Could it be that the orange tone came from the HQ oxidizing on skin?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
WAIT! Okay, i understand what you are talking about, I actually saw some hyperpigmentation occurring around my neck where it was always very light. But i would advise as well that you discontinue the use of it if after this long it hasn't produced any results, as with anything that you use. I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. But listen carefully to what I say below:

1) HQ does not work well on all skin types, it's different for different races especially Caucasians simply because of the type of melanin that is produced. It is a different kind completely to what asians and africans have in their skin. Which is why Caucasians usually would be better of using more natural products like arbutin or Kojic Acid.

2) I would personally recommend before you reorder Meladerm that you try TriLuma. I've personally seen it work wonders on caucasian skin to completely dissipate hyperpigmentation.

Use this with Sunscreen and Olive Oil/ Any other restoration oil for about two weeks and see if there is a difference. If not completely discontinue any product with HQ or RA.

Dude, are you serious? She just stated that she CANNOT tolerate retin-a and HQ 4%, do you know the composition of Triluma? Its 0.05% Retin-A, HQ 4%, and 0.1% dexamethasone, thats about 20X STRONGER than the HQ/RA combination she was using on her skin. Many members here tried it over at melasma, and antiaging and said that they have a LOT of redness, peeling, and flakes in heaps over the days they were using it, and they were caucasian too. I dont think I would support you on this as the steroid in the cream is stronger than the RA.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
452 Posts

Kareannev
I just wrote a similar post - but I got kicked off before I could post it.
I didn't include the Tri-luma. But the key to your success is
1. stop the HQ/RA
2. LET YOUR SKIN REST
3. Use one of the healing oils on your skin
4. NOT USE MELADERM OR ANY OTHER PRODUCT FOR AT LEAST A WEEK
5. Don't give up the battle just change your plan of attack!!

• Everything is not for everybody
  • Monitor your skin/body - you know you better than anyone
  • Be patient and take it slow - stop at the sign of a possible issue
REST YOUR SKIN FROM THESE INVASIVE TREATMENTS

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dude, are you serious? She just stated that she CANNOT tolerate retin-a and HQ 4%, do you know the composition of Triluma? Its 0.05% Retin-A, HQ 4%, and 0.1% dexamethasone, thats about 20X STRONGER than the HQ/RA combination she was using on her skin. Many members here tried it over at melasma, and antiaging and said that they have a LOT of redness, peeling, and flakes in heaps over the days they were using it, and they were caucasian too. I dont think I would support you on this as the steroid in the cream is stronger than the RA.
MAKE SURE YOU WAIT AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE STARTING THIS REGIME! (for your skin to heal)
I am aware of the composition of Triluma LnL. It's not that her skin doesn't tolerate HQ/RA, the orangeness and flaking that she is getting is because of the improper mix of too many products that she is using. There is an improper ph balance and a cumulative film of inflammation in the dermis of her skin and that must be addressed else it is likely that when she discontinues the use of HQ/RA it will heal unevenly and become even darker than before. And we must not go crazy when we hear steroid. It is a natural product synthesized in EVERYONE's body, the one in triluma is an anti inflammatory which is exactly what she needs. The lower percentage of RA (which causes this orange flakiness in high percentages) will allow deeper penetration and superficial shedding of the damaged surface skin without irritation or further damage. I am not recommending TriLuma because I think it is what she needs, but what she has to do in order to get her skin recovering. When she uses it with some intensive mousturiser, she will not only get that glowing white she wants but also smoother better looking skin without those pits. I dont recommend much people it because it is on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Put yourself in the shoes of an understanding doctor/dermatologist. A new patient comes to you and you prescribe them HQ/RA. The patient comes back after roughly 3 months which is enough time for the medicine to settle in and make a lasting impact on your skin and yet she came back with irritation, redness, worse skin than before she visited you. Typically it gets worse around week 3 to 5 and gets measurably better rapidly after that. So if you have common sense and she came back to you, would you prescribe her another medication that includes HQ/RA? And she used 0.05% RA cream all this time, the same strength in Triluma. How does that sound?

**yes steroids are synthesized in small amounts called cortisone throughout the body that act as natural pain relievers WHEN NEEDED and when the immune system sees fit. But we are talking about dexamethasone which is not a natural steroid that the body has, it is a strong synthetic compound and by strong I mean for those cases of psoriasis and eczema. "Its potency is about 20-30 times that of hydrocortisone and 4-5 times of prednisone."
This "anti-inflammatory" was the only thing that made the Kligman;s formula completely depigment black FITZ IV males in 5 weeks, if it was just HQ/RA those black males would not depigment but lighten about 3 shades in 5 weeks.

***ALSO you dont treat "cumulative films of inflammation on your skin by inflicting MORE inflammation with the use of RA with or without a steroid, then you are compromising the INTEGRITY of your skin's collagen and fibrolast levels not to mention its HEALTH****

PLEASE DO YOUR THOROUGH RESEARCH BEFORE GIVING ADVICE AND THAT MEANS SCIENTIFIC JOURNAL BACKING.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
410 Posts
It sounds like you are neither a doctor nor a dermatologist. Anyways, i'm not trying to argue here. And in any case if she went to any doctor or derm, they would be more concerned about why she was using prescription strength RA & HQ without a prescription in the first place. But i digress, like I said HQ/RA is not for everyone however, how it is forumulated of KEY importance. Triluma is forumlated for this exact problem, hyperpigmentation and melasma treatment. I'm sure the compounders on this board could attest to the fact that 20% HQ home compounded is much different that 20% HQ factory manufactured. Needless to say, she has to heal and continue this regime as it is the only way for her to even keep her natural skin tone. If it is one thing that someone must take into consideration is that once you start using these creams, there is no going back, you can't stop and expect to stay that color for long, more often than not you go back to being even darker than where you started. And it is even harder to remove the repigmentation. karenannev it is up to you whether, I personally would advise that you try the triluma, and the Emu Oil that you said you were using earlier as a buffer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Karenannev - PLEASE LET YOUR SKIN REST (For your sake) No Meladerm, HQ/RA, Tri-Luma, F&F, NOTHING FOR A WHILE.

You just may see your skin start to respond positively to the applied products. Think of it this way - the skin is in a constant responsive state and maybe in shock. It starts to respond to HQ/RA and before it does fully, here comes another application, it tries to respond again, here comes another application, and on and on and on - the skin never has time to respond or REST.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Karenannev - PLEASE LET YOUR SKIN REST (For your sake) No Meladerm, HQ/RA, Tri-Luma, F&F, NOTHING FOR A WHILE.

You just may see your skin start to respond positively to the applied products. Think of it this way - the skin is in a constant responsive state and maybe in shock. It starts to respond to HQ/RA and before it does fully, here comes another application, it tries to respond again, here comes another application, and on and on and on - the skin never has time to respond or REST.
I concur, you must let it rest before you start another regime, maybe for a week or 2.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Well then you go to a doctor/dermatologist and show them your advice posts and ask them if they think that is overkill or if she needs to continue inflicting controlled damage on her skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Aww. I'm so sorry it didn't work for you, honey. But like everyone always says here, nothing works for everyone. I was really hoping you'd found yr solution. Hopefully, the SW or one of the other options being successfully used by people here will help you. Having a derm take a look & give you an assessment is a good idea too. Please do NOT use triluma as it contains both HQ & RA. I just know that there's something out there that'll give you that porcelain glow you are seeking. Do continue posting about any new treatments you try out & I hope that oranginess you dislike goes away soon.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Put yourself in the shoes of an understanding doctor/dermatologist. A new patient comes to you and you prescribe them HQ/RA. The patient comes back after roughly 3 months which is enough time for the medicine to settle in and make a lasting impact on your skin and yet she came back with irritation, redness, worse skin than before she visited you. Typically it gets worse around week 3 to 5 and gets measurably better rapidly after that. So if you have common sense and she came back to you, would you prescribe her another medication that includes HQ/RA? And she used 0.05% RA cream all this time, the same strength in Triluma. How does that sound?

**yes steroids are synthesized in small amounts called cortisone throughout the body that act as natural pain relievers WHEN NEEDED and when the immune system sees fit. But we are talking about dexamethasone which is not a natural steroid that the body has, it is a strong synthetic compound and by strong I mean for those cases of psoriasis and eczema. "Its potency is about 20-30 times that of hydrocortisone and 4-5 times of prednisone."
This "anti-inflammatory" was the only thing that made the Kligman;s formula completely depigment black FITZ IV males in 5 weeks, if it was just HQ/RA those black males would not depigment but lighten about 3 shades in 5 weeks.

***ALSO you dont treat "cumulative films of inflammation on your skin by inflicting MORE inflammation with the use of RA with or without a steroid, then you are compromising the INTEGRITY of your skin's collagen and fibrolast levels not to mention its HEALTH****

PLEASE DO YOUR THOROUGH RESEARCH BEFORE GIVING ADVICE AND THAT MEANS SCIENTIFIC JOURNAL BACKING.
I think as a 4th Year Medical Student and nearly a graduate, that I have done enough studying to know that the body is not a "do this" and "dont do this" kind of organism. There are complex mechanisms that happen when you apply anything to the body or into it for that matter. You want to know the reason the males depiged after using the dexamethasone? It is because the inflammation produced by the forumla inhibits ANY absorption of materials into the skin. However dexamethasone almost eliminates the inflammation and allows further absorption to occur. That it was why it was SO effective as the final part of his formula. Google scholars isnt always written by scholars. Anyways, GL kar, hope things work out.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Google scholars (are written by professionals and experts, I dont know where you get that its not always written by them, otherwise they wouldnt create a site for scholarly article) and LANCET and my old work at Sloan Kettering which I have the research medical library access to does have the information I need to back up my points, I am not trying to argue with you, I am trying to make you understand that when someone used a certain combination of products on their skin and it reacted negatively over a prolonged period of time then it is not the best idea to reintroduce the same combination with or without another addition. PLEASE try to understand that much.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 66 Posts