Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I know that my thread earlier got me a lot of advice regarding my skin, and I should be patient in my new regimen (which will be posted at the end of this), but how long should I wait until full results? I'm impatient and even though I've seen SOME evening of my complexion and am not finding 3 or 4 new blemishes EVERY morning, I'm getting the really bad ones, and we're talking Vesuvius-like here! I've been following my regimen for nearly two weeks (on sunday), shouldn't I be seeing no new blemishes, and the ones that are already there start to clear up? What is the appropriate amount of time to wait before trying something new/more drastic?

My Routine:
Morning: Neutrogena Rapid Clear Oil Eliminating Facial Cleanser (cream) and pat dry

Evening: Neutrogena Oil-Free Cream Cleanser, Witch Hazel, (homemade) Aspirin Spot Treatment, Clean & Clear Anti-Acne Oil Free Moisturizer

Thank you all muchly! <3

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Give it AT LEAST 3 weeks for it to work. Sometimes it will take even longer for you to start to see results, stick with it a good six to eight weeks and you should be good to go from there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Freddy's right. If I were you (and from personal experience), it takes about 4-8 weeks to see results. Also, I would highly recommend something in your routine to kill the acne bacteria - such as Benzoyl Peroxide or Tea Tree oil. Topical antibiotics work well but only short term and you need a presciption for them. Have you ever been on oral contraceptives? Most women that suffer from adult acne find relief through them, as the acne is all hormonal. Topical treatments are only a way of fighting what is coming from within. Even with a perfect regimen, you could still experience breakouts.

And a few last things regarding your regimen: I would highly recommend a mild cleanser. You don't want to strip your skin of it's protective acid mantle. If those natural oils are stripped, the skin loses its ability to fight bacteria. Also make sure that your products are all fragrance free as fragrances can irritate and inflame skin, making acne worse. Have you read any of Paula Begoun's books? They helped me understand skin and what products to use to clear my skin up. Also, Acne.org - Acne treatment and community is a great reference and there are people there with a wealth of knowledge (be careful though because some really aren't a wealth of knowledge).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fawnie, thanks for the websites, I checked them out and though it sounds like it may be purging, because my blemishes start out as painful under-the-skin cystic type thingies, they come to a head within a couple of days... and then temptation sets in...

Freddy and Vananners, thank you both very much for giving me a time frame! I was starting to fear that I was doing something wrong or overdoing something in my routine.

Vananners, are you recommending BP or Tea Tree Oil because the Witch Hazel is bad for your skin? I haven't considered anything oral, as of yet because this isn't unbearable, but it is uncomfortable! I'd like to go out of the house without foundation on and not worry that all people can see are the red dots on my forehead! If you have a specific mild cleanser or something similar to it, as well as somewhere other than The Body Shop (which is terribly expensive and for about an ounce, totally not worth it! You pay for the bottle instead of the product!) where I can find Tea Tree Oil, can you PM me with it? I've heard it does wonders for certain family members with Psoriasis on their scalps who use a shampoo and conditioner with the stuff.

Wow, this is long! I'll wrap up with a big thanks
! Oh and PS: I use a clay mask once a week, it's a cheap thing I bought at WalMart, but I rather like it, and once a week doesn't seem to irritate my skin.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can find 100% Tea Tree Oil at any natural health food store. Just be sure it's 100%. I found mine at Whole Foods. You should be able to go into the store and ask and they should be able to direct you to the right place. They also have it in online stores:

Amazon.com: Tea Tree 100% Pure Essential Oil - 10 ml: Health & Personal Care

As for the cleanser, I'm still on the hunt for a perfect one. I just ordered Avene Cleanance online because of all the rave reviews. I also did a thorough ingredient study on it and found it to be one of the best cleansers (ingredient wise) that I've seen so far:

Buy Avene Cleanance Soap-free Facial Gel Cleanser Online at drugstore.com

It's a little pricey but I think it's worth it. If you'd like to go with a cheaper drugstore version, I was using Olay's Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin for quite a while with no problems:

Amazon.com: Olay Foaming Face Wash, Sensitive Skin, 6.78-Ounce Pump (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care

I'm recommending the BP or Tea Tree because Witch Hazel does not kill the acne bacteria. And it can be drying to the skin because of the pH. Although, I do know that BP dries out the skin, too but so far it's the only thing that keeps me clear. I use the BP Treatment from Acne.org - Acne treatment and community right now. They have a very thorough ant-acne regimen over at that website and he also sells very good products.

I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, just an avid consumer! Good luck with your search, I hope you can find something that works for you. I know how hard it is.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've used tea tree oil products in the past and they're great.

However be careful with the BP because that **** can really burn your skin.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've used tea tree oil products in the past and they're great.

However be careful with the BP because that **** can really burn your skin.
BP kills my skin but it's the only thing that keeps it clear. I'm currently attempting to switch over to Tea Tree oil - adding about 5/6 drops to a teaspoon of lotion makes about a 5% dilution from what I've read. I just hate the smell of tea tree and don't think that when my boyfriend gets back in December he'll appreciate me reeking of it when I come to bed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys so very very much! I'm hoping that the results I am seeing are from the regimen and not just me seeing something because I want to! I'll definitely see to the Tea Tree Oil, there's a little health food shop in the town where I go to College, so I'll give it a go! Thanks for your advice Vananners and Freddy! <3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts