Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I?m a 24 Midwestern woman. I have noticed that over the last 1-2 years my emotional state is a roller coaster up to a week before I get my period and sometimes continues for the beginning of my period. The last 3-4 months I have noticed that aside from the emotional roller coaster I get I have been feeling really down as my period is approaching and while I have it. I have never struggled with depression so this hard for me to go through. I used to be able to snap out of it after a day or two but now it seems to linger on longer.

I?m wondering if there are any herbs that can be taken to help deal with PMS/Hormones? Or any other recommendations? I?m not on birth control and do not want to go on it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can search high and low and you won't find any herbs that will manipulate your hormones, at least not uncontrolled herbs. You'll have to talk to a doctor and see what your options are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hormonal imbalances can cause issues before and after your period. However it's important to seek help of some sort to see if it's not only your "hormones". Sometimes it can be more than that. People that struggle with depression can be treated with meds other than "the pill" to help balance their bouts with depression itself. Aside from depression there is bipolarity which is a "mood swing" type of illness caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I am not saying by any means you have any of these issues, because we all get our periods like it or not. But Freddy is right. Talk to your doctor and if this issue lingers well before and well past your period, it's important to be properly treated so you can feel balanced.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I might go see a doctor or something, I'm feeling really shitty these days.
Have your doctor check your thyroid production. I know several people that discovered they have hypothyroidism after they felt down for long periods of time. Hope you feel better Freddy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sorry to steal the thread, but thanks for the support guys. That's interesting I'm going to have the doctor check that out Mutti.

It's not one particular thing that is bothering me, I just feel uninspired...I dunno its weird, I'm just plain jane depressed and the sad thing is I don't even know why...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to steal the thread, but thanks for the support guys. That's interesting I'm going to have the doctor check that out Mutti.

It's not one particular thing that is bothering me, I just feel uninspired...I dunno its weird, I'm just plain jane depressed and the sad thing is I don't even know why...
awww, I'd hug you Freddy in real life but since I can't, this simile will have to do
(don't mind the kissing part
)

Has anything else changed in your life? Diet, work, relationships?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This past June when I went in for my yearly Doc appointment. They said that the levels were fine. They also tested my thyroid production, due to irragualre peirods (last fall I didn't get my period for several months), but everything was fine there too.

This month everything went fine and I didn't even have any of the typical symptoms I normally get a week or so before my period. So strange, I don't get it but I'll certainly take it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I understand what you mean. I am an emotional roller coaster wreck right before my period, its gotten so bad that its affecting my marriage. I do have a doctors appointment coming up soon to see whats going on here. Freddy I am so at the point in my life right now. Sometimes I'm down for no absolute reason. I do have a history of depression tho. After having my second kid I got a really bad case of that. Maybe its just a faze but, if your sadness continues or affects anything in your life I suggest seeing a doctor.

*I hope freddy and staying young feel better soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi you could try taking evening primrose oil capsules on a regular basis and cutting back on sugar - might be of some help to you?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Staying young: I take maca, SAMe, primrose and omega3 for my hormones, but check with you doctor first..............I refuse to take prescription so I go natural but it's not for everybody.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Freddy...we all go through shitty periods in our lives...trust me I would know! Try really really hard not to let it get to you, and I promise things will start looking up.

When all else fails, listen to Hannah Montana! just kidding. not really. hahahaha

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey Pomander,

I was feeling very down towards the end of last year. I told myself that I'd be a happier guy in '09 and I really focused on organizing myself.

Actually I think we might all benefit from my recent revelations.

First of all, I realized that every single problem in the world has at least one solution to it. For every lock, there is a key, and if there isn't, make one!

Second, I fould that have a schedule and a list of things to do gives me a sense of reason. I think that might have been what I was lacking, that sense of reason. I felt like I was wasting away.

Thirdly, I have to do what makes me happy. I love to work, I'm a workaholic. I hate weekends because I feel useless, so keeping myself busy keeps me happy.

What are your experiences?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I always feel a little depressed in the winter. It seems like the time for me to slow down and reflect on my life patterns and relationships. I seem to be more sensitive and take things more personally. Lately I have been stressed about money issues (like most people) and trying to figure out a budget for myself. I hate budgets!!!

It helps me to exhaust myself with lots of cardio. Then I sleep better at night. But I feel like I am just waiting for something spectacular to happen in my life. A little bit of magic.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always feel a little depressed in the winter. It seems like the time for me to slow down and reflect on my life patterns and relationships. I seem to be more sensitive and take things more personally. Lately I have been stressed about money issues (like most people) and trying to figure out a budget for myself. I hate budgets!!!

It helps me to exhaust myself with lots of cardio. Then I sleep better at night. But I feel like I am just waiting for something spectacular to happen in my life. A little bit of magic.
Whew.... it's not just me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts