Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

what are some ingredients to avoid at all costs???

i heard you should avoid alcohol, but it seems that some sort of alcohol is in many products.

anywho, thats my question

cheers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Bismuth anything, paraffin, petrolatum, parabens, sodium laurel or laureth sulfate, ammonium laurel or laureth sulfate, Hydroxymethyl cellulose.

glyceryl stearate and cetyl alcohol (unless your buying something you KNOW is 100% natural or organic & that goes for these two ingredients only not my whole list.)

Also: be cautious of the ingredient "fragrance" because as you can tell that is a very vague term and you dont know what their "fragrance" is made of!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alcohol can dry out your skin causing your skin to produce more sebum (oil) and cause acne if you dont have it already or make worse what your already dealing with.

Many toners contain high amounts of alcohol. Usually the ones that make your skin feel cold or tingly. Like Clinique
So check the ingredients before you buy!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Avoid alcohol as it is very drying. Other ingredients to avoid are mineral oils, parabens, SLS, Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea , synthetic colours and synthetic fragrance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just one quick correction here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with, nor nothing to fear from parabens. Parabens are one of the most effective preservatives ever to be used in cosmetics (and in some foods). Parabens are found in nature, many plant species produce their own form of parabens to ward off attack from microbes.

The (incorrect) fear that has been generated about parabens has come from the interenet. A published study from England by a doctor who claimed that parabens were directly tied to cancer in some patients got the whole rumor started. Recently, that same doctor has come out and said that the study was flawed, and that no direct evidence at all points to parabens being related to ANY cause of a disease or skin and health problems of any type.

Parabens are safe, and have been used for more than 40 years as one of the most effective preservative systems. Keep in mind, if parabens are not used as the preservative in cosmetics, then what is? If no preservative is used, then you are setting yourself up for potential microbial contamination (and believe me, that is a problem!). If another preservative is used, then what is it and is it effective....and safe? See what I mean.

Don't fear parabens. The internet rumor about parabens needs to die.

Hope this helps,

John

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
alcohol is not necessarily an ingredient to be avoided "at all cost" ~ many who DIY use everclear to dissolve FA in vitimin C serum - it doesn't require a high % in the finished product.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Note that 40 women were in the study AND that there has not been a causal relationship found between parables and breast cancer.

When you read the actual study, there was not a control group which was studied.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Old thread but an interesting topic! I avoid benzoyl peroxide, alkaline soaps and sulphate surfactants at all costs - they dehydrate skin and hair and trigger my eczema/ dermatitis. I severely limit use of silicones, mineral oil/ petrolatum, parabens (irritant), chemical sunscreens, alcohol (unless an essential diluent), most acids, fragrance, anything comedogenic, fad exotic oils or butters. My skin loves lanolin presumably as it supplies some of the fatty acids and cholesterol needed to form a healthy skin barrier; thankfully properly refined lanolin is not considered allergenic.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Old thread but an interesting topic! I avoid benzoyl peroxide, alkaline soaps and sulphate surfactants at all costs - they dehydrate skin and hair and trigger my eczema/ dermatitis. I severely limit use of silicones, mineral oil/ petrolatum, parabens (irritant), chemical sunscreens, alcohol (unless an essential diluent), most acids, fragrance, anything comedogenic, fad exotic oils or butters. My skin loves lanolin presumably as it supplies some of the fatty acids and cholesterol needed to form a healthy skin barrier; thankfully properly refined lanolin is not considered allergenic.
Have you tried Borage or Starflower oil as it is also known on your skin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts