Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a 20 year old male. I have always had a problem when I have a clean shave where I get what seems to be little whiteheads that appear on my chin neck and cheeks. I have ignored it forever and just didn't shave close but I have a new job and I need to have a clean shave. Are these ingrown hairs? I don't really notice any hair stuck in my skin or anything but it only happens when I shave, what else could it be?

I have tried all kinds of razors and electric shavers and all kinds of creams and lotion, but they always come back. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds exactly like ingrown hairs. The skin sees this like an infection because the hair is growing in rather than out. White blood cells rush to the area (like a pimple) and swell up to a whitehead. Yep. Close shaves cause this, dull razors, harsh shave strokes, shaving against the grain, not enough moisture on the skin. Have you tried exfoliating gently with a scrub before you shave? This sometimes helps the hairs come up and prevents the pores from getting clogged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always shower before I shave so I wash my face with regular soap (perhaps I should use something else?) then I use shaving cream and a sharp blade as usual, afterwards I put on a moisturizing aftershave balm.

I don't really know what exfoliating means but I'll look it up, other than that is there anything I can do other then just not shave so close? Should I use moisturizer every day instead of just when I shave so the hair is softer or something?

Thank You for all your help

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Hello, I'm a 20 year old male. I have always had a problem when I have a clean shave where I get what seems to be little whiteheads that appear on my chin neck and cheeks. I have ignored it forever and just didn't shave close but I have a new job and I need to have a clean shave. Are these ingrown hairs? I don't really notice any hair stuck in my skin or anything but it only happens when I shave, what else could it be?

I have tried all kinds of razors and electric shavers and all kinds of creams and lotion, but they always come back. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hi Krooger, here is a product my 21 year old son swears by. He uses it faithfully after he shaves.

Tend Skin Liquid You don't have to order from this site, it just basically explains what it is and what it will do for you. Google it for the area where you live, and you might be able to find it in a local spa or hair salon. Some beauty supplies carry it as well.

Best of luck to you-I hope you find something that works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts