Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, there has been a lot of talk & 'buzz' over these injectible fillers. Some last a short time, some last longer. THere's everythng from collagen to Restylane to Sculptra & many more. I've seen the impressive 'before & after' photos, but I've never met anyone who was willing to admit that they've used them & dish about the experience. These injections can be prohibitively expensive & must be repeated to get 'optimal results' & later repeated to maintain the effect as the products wear off. In the long run, surgery is much cheaper & longer lasting. Has anyone here tried these injections? What did it cost & what were the results? Thanks!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Ondine.
Haha! You're interested in "Trout Pout" ???

I will try to give you my experience with Restylane here. I had my lips injected 2 years ago.

Well, first of all, it hurt like @&%!!. The PS doing it didn't numb first, as most would do, so I just had to hold still and believe me the tears were rolling down my cheeks. Resty is the most painful of fillers to inject I have heard.

The results were fab at first, probably due to the swelling. I looked like Angelina for about a month. Then gradually they became normal. I still have some poufiness, mostly at the vermilion border, but for the most part it's gone. The Dr said 6-8 months and I would need another round. Guess what: No THANKS!!! I don't recall how much he charged me. He offered to give me another round gratis of a newer filler that he wanted a guinea pig for. I can honestly say I am not interested in the look. IMO it's pretty unnatural. But some ppl like it and have better results.

For NL lines and the "11" 's the results are more natural.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ondine, I had Articol (new generation is called ArteSense) about 8 years ago, it is a "more permanent", (it's acrylic liquid) this one lasted about 5 years, it said up to 10 years. It was about $500, I did the lips & nasolabial folds (from the bottom of the nose to the corner of the mouth) I liked the result, if not done properly, it can leave lumps, and luckely me, I have one. I'm going to see my derm on the May 26, I will find out how much it is now.

Fawnie, I had a simular experience, I had permanent make-up about 15 years ago (this is a tattoo, a black line around the eye lids) yep similar to your picture but not as deep & black, very subtile, fade away with years. (it's not permanent)

For this you have to go 3 times and on the second time, it hurts sooooo much, and the person who did this, looked at me like if I was a big baby, and the following week when I went back for my final "torture", ($300 for this torture) she told me "no wonder you were in pain, the expired date on the bottle was over one day old, so it did not numb my eyelids. ouch! ouch and ouch!

As for the "trout pout" effects, I had it done about 15 years ago with Collagen, it lasted about a week and as you said, it was just swelling, the pain with it, wasn't worth it at all.

It's time for maintenance "shots" and I'm soooo affraid and they all seem to be not worth it at all!

Awful Plastic Surgery

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I found another link about side effects of Artecol, some sites say it's very safe but after looking at those pictures, you will change your mind. it cost around $750 for a syringe.

it says: While short term results of ArteColl appear to be very positive, after several years, perhaps as the skin continues to thin, bumps and irregularities seem to become more prominent.

Rystalyne seems to have the same side effects as Artecol

Facial filler complications

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm so grateful for this site! I was definitely going to try Restilyne, now I am not! By the way, about Thermage. If it is not done with the higher voltage (?) machines, that is the reason it does not do much of anything. I would not have it done anywhere but Dr. Bill Johnson, out of Ft. Worth/Grapevine/and Dallas. He is the leader in Thermage technology and is always first to be approved for each generation of Thermage by the FDA. I have been studying up on this for four years! Why was I considering Restylane? I can't get back to Ft. Worth for a few months. As SOON as I do, I am having the newest generation of Thermage and SmartSide Dot done.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Fawnie, I had a simular experience, I had permanent make-up about 15 years ago (this is a tattoo, a black line around the eye lids) yep similar to your picture but not as deep & black, very subtile, fade away with years. (it's not permanent)
Marie, It really was torture for you! I am sorry to hear that. The injector should have made sure you were pretty numb before proceeding!

I never had permanent makeup tattooed though. I just had the lips injected with Resty. It didn't leave any pigmentation at all, just a slight ridge along the line of the lip where one would place lipliner (vermilion ridge), which has now gone away. The exercises and massage are doing a more natural and better job than the injections, IMO. But thanks for your concern and for sharing your (terrible) experience. =(

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What scary info! Thanks for posting. I was not asking for myself as, so far, I've been VERY lucky with not aging. I was asking for my other who is 71 but looking in her early 50's. Now I know what to tell her. Thanks, guys! These fillers sound sooo scary & painful. BTW, has anyone tried fat transfers/grafting? How well does that work & how long does it last?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Ondine,

Just thought I would give you a positive report. I have recently had fillers injected. My experience seems different from many related here. I had Restylane and Botox injected. I had my cheeks plumped, my top lip plumped, my nasolabial folds and my marionette lines done. It hurt like any other injection but I did not find it unbearable. My operator gave me a local anaesthetic. My results were very good and I saw massive and immediate improvement (which is always fun). I think that the moral of the story is be careful when you choose your injector.

PS I did get a slight headache for about 2 days afterward and you have to try to sleep on your back. Also make sure they give you the pamphlet on the aftercare.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for a counterbalancing opinion, Melly. How long did your results last? It just seems like so much expense & pain for a result that disappears in less than a year. Do you know anything about fat transfers? I've heard that the majority of the fat placed in a given area gets reabsorbed by the body rapidly. That leaves very little in place to make a visible & lasting result.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oh Ondine! It's good to know your mum looks in her 50's altho 70. You have good genes!

Surgery is so extreme and traumatic. I would advise anyone to try FlexEffect facial exercise/massage before doing anything like surgery/fat grafts/injections. She can still do all that, but give something less extreme a try first! If not for anything else but for increasing the healing and tone of the skin.

I have nearly obliterated my NL fold lines with exercise and massage. This isn't something that Retin-A can do - the folds are deeper than the skin. Exercise tightens up the muscles and fascia beneath.

Facial Exercise: If it's not FlexEffect It's not Facialbuilding.

I am not in any way affiliated with or a salesperson for this program, but I have seen such dramatic results in myself that I feel like sharing the wealth!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Patti 1013,

I'd be glad to tell you what I know of Dr. Johnson. He has been on Good Morning, Texas numerous times doing the entire procedures live...with the results shown for each individual within the hour after the procedure. He does amazing work at his Innovations Med Spa in the Metroplex. I had spoken to them concerning the negative comments on Thermage and was told, in detail, what the problem was. Check their website for the procedures. They have specials in price during the year(for instance, one is going on now in May. Wish I could get back now). Specials or not, I am having it done as soon as I can leave Florida. (I am caring for my 87 yr. old Dad). They can even do Thermage on your arms and belly, now and you can lose inches within an hour! I'm getting my upper arms done for the "jiggle",as well as my face and neck for the usual reasons. You can check out their website and there is a gentleman named Allen that has answered my questions via phone. No, I don't work for them nor have stock in the company!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

I've not had any but my very close friend has and I've kept a watchful eye on her and asked probing questions.

Because she is quite slim she had Sculptra to increase volume in her face. It involved 3 sessions at a cost of about £150 a go. The injections stimulate your own collagen production.

You have to massage the area a lot for the first five days because the areas treated feel lumpy. Then you go the next month and the month after.

I have to say that her face does look much younger and that she has definite volume in her cheekbones as she had when she was much younger.
It is almost 2 years and she still looks great.

Money well spent and something I will consider in the future. However, you need to ensure that you find the best DOCTOR available. Personally, I would not consider a beauty therapist for this procedure.

warmest regards,

redrose

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info re facial fillers. This seems like a great option for my mother to try as she loves exercises. I'd heard of facial exercises before but many people were reporting mixed results. Some said that these exercises gave them lines they didn't have beforehand! Since you have used them yourself with good results, I'll try it based on your word.

Redrose, thanks for the info re sculptra. From what I've read, it is one of the best of the fillers.It does take 3 months to see final results, though. It has worked wonders for facial lipoatrophy in HIV patients. It eliminates that wasted look that can be so socially crippling & psychologically hard to cope with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Patti 1013,

I'd be glad to tell you what I know of Dr. Johnson. He has been on Good Morning, Texas numerous times doing the entire procedures live...with the results shown for each individual within the hour after the procedure. He does amazing work at his Innovations Med Spa in the Metroplex. I had spoken to them concerning the negative comments on Thermage and was told, in detail, what the problem was. Check their website for the procedures. They have specials in price during the year(for instance, one is going on now in May. Wish I could get back now). Specials or not, I am having it done as soon as I can leave Florida. (I am caring for my 87 yr. old Dad). They can even do Thermage on your arms and belly, now and you can lose inches within an hour! I'm getting my upper arms done for the "jiggle",as well as my face and neck for the usual reasons. You can check out their website and there is a gentleman named Allen that has answered my questions via phone. No, I don't work for them nor have stock in the company!
Thanks for the reply and the great info gr8full,
I'll definitely check out their website. I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metropex, Northwest Dallas area, so getting there would be an easy 15-20 minute or so drive for me, depending on the traffic.
Patti

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Ondine,

You asked how long my results lasted. I only had the injections 1 month ago so I do not know yet. The injector says about 9 months. I previously had fat grafting done but was not as pleased with the result. Then again this just could have been the doctor. He did not seem to put enough in and you are correct alot of it seemed to disappear. With the restylane I went back 2 weeks later and they were able to correct the deficiencies in the injections. Yes, it was expensive. From the posts I might try Scuptura next time as it seems to last longer. My experience with the Restylane is that it creates a very scuptured but natural effect especially on the cheeks. At the moment I am really happy with it.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I have done injectable fillers, and love the results. I have done Restylane and Juvederm.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does it look natural? I've seen lips that could swallow a cow & weird Botox chrome dome fiveheads with those odd dropped eyebrows... I guess you really need someone who is half doctor & half artist to get it done correctly.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Does it look natural? I've seen lips that could swallow a cow & weird Botox chrome dome fiveheads with those odd dropped eyebrows... I guess you really need someone who is half doctor & half artist to get it done correctly.
LOL, no Ondine, I didn't do my lips with it. Just my nasolabial fold and a little on a few scars that I had. Oh and just a little on a line above my lip. It looks very natural and has lasted for about 6 months. I do this and botox, for my 11 between my eyes, every Jan and June. That seems to work good for me. I go to a plastic surgeon, who is in the same building as my dermatologist. Finding a good Dr. is very important. I have heard some horror stories, as you do with anything now a days. Just do your homework Ondine, and you will be fine.

It doesn't hurt really. The needles are rather tiny. They apply a numbing cream and a little ice pack and then that is it. I am on my way! My doc saves what I have left, and I go back two weeks after to finish up with what is left. This seems to work well, since it does take a week or so to settle into the right spot and fill in the lines nicely.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Gymrat you have the same line as I do! It' a line really betwen the nose and the lip. I only thought my mother & I have it :) I never notice anyone else! So which one do you recommand : Restylane and Juvederm?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts