Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this article today, and it was new news to me. I knew about the benefits of topical C (and that is only because of this forum!!) but I did not know that taking Vitamin E internally had some beneficial effects to the outside. Am I reading this correctly??? Just thought I would share...

"Topical Vitamin C can prevent the consequences of prolonged sun exposure which can lead to skin cancer," says Karen E. Burke, MD, in a news release. "Supplementation with natural Vitamin E in 400 mg per day has been noted to reduce photodamage, wrinkles and improve skin texture."

This research has been backed up by a more recent study. The Journal of Investigative Dermatology.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Yep- you are right and reading it correctly. Vit E plays a role in the anti-aging of our skin. It helps the skin look younger by reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Also, because of its antioxidant activity, Vit E helps in protecting skin cells from UV light, along with other elements that produce cell damaging free radicals.

I take Vit E orally and have a batch of Vit C that I have added Vit E too. Applying it too your face can give you a greasy feel so you don't want to over due it too much-

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew it was good if applied topically, but I never realized the benefits of it being taken orally.....I guess you learn something new everyday.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
LOL- yes we do, and it doesn't matter what age we get to be either! My mother used to tell me that all the time and I would think ya right, whatever. Now I know exactly what she meant!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thanks Mom, that's good news. While it IS important to get enough of the vitamins internally, the combination of topical C + E + ferulic acid is a great antioxidant cocktail for the skin and provides at least SPF 8 on its own. Still need a higher protection sunscreen on top, but it's a good start.

The recipe "Kassy's Kickass vit C Serum" on this forum isn't greasy and contains C+E+ferulic.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If only I had the courage to make my own.... I really would love to, but I am so afraid that i would screw it up....All of this skin care stuff is so new to me, that is why I love this forum so much, I have learned sooooo much, and I am continuing to educate myself through this forum.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mom LOL! You can't screw it up! You just mix it all up in 2 shot glasses and dump it in a bottle!!! Easier than pie!!!

The hardest part is getting all the ingredients: you have to order them online for the most part.

When you take a look at the prices of the most reliable and stable C+E+ferulic serums (SkinCeuticals and Cell-ex) OMG!
it's a great incentive to just get in there and mix it yourself! They want us to pay $100 for a tiny bottle of serum???? oh pu-leez! I can make 50 bottles myself for that price and it's a lot fresher too!

It isn't as hard as you think. I'm no rocket scientist and I made some last week all by myself!! We are standing by to help you thru it!!!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts