Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Now this may sound totally crazy, but do any of you think that flourescent tube lighting or CFLs can cause uv damage? Maybe not to the average person, but to those like me whose skin is extra sensitive due to lightening creams. This is a very recent theory of mine.

Up until recently if I wasn't going outside I wouldn't put on sunscreen, as I didn't want it to dilute my lightening cream (I don't know whether it does or not), at work for example, indoors all day, since using lightening cream, would often get a really hot face during the day. Now since using sunscreen it doesn't happen. I also wonder why after avoiding the sun for so many years but working under harsh flourescent lights, my skin is in such bad shape. I'm now using sunscreen no matter what, but am I just being paranoid?

I couldn't find very much information when I googled.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I am not big into UV being the evil of the world. We are here due in large part to UV. Flourescent lights bother me because they make me look horrible in a mirror or to others I assume. It shows EVERY minor flaw on anyone. I have made it my business to never look in a mirror around them. If someone is going to get damage from indoor UV then I seriously question their evolutionary ability to exist (barring some major genetic disorders).

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I am not big into UV being the evil of the world. We are here due in large part to UV. Flourescent lights bother me because they make me look horrible in a mirror or to others I assume. It shows EVERY minor flaw on anyone. I have made it my business to never look in a mirror around them. If someone is going to get damage from indoor UV then I seriously question their evolutionary ability to exist (barring some major genetic disorders).
Damage is cumulative. I guess I have no reason for existing.

You are after all, a so called recovering tanorexic. Beware folks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Damage is cumulative. I guess I have no reason for existing.

You are after all, a so called recovering tanorexic. Beware folks.
LOL! I did not mean it like that but rather that unintentional minimial UV exposure is not likely to really do much to most people. We are designed to live with varying degrees of UV depending on our genetics.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link, Periwinkle. I knew there was something in it. Looks like 24 hour sunblock for me. I can't believe I've spent years indoors thinking I was totally safe!

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
karenannev, dont use sunblock in the evening when the sun goes down, the chemicals in the sunblock are really not supposed to be used for nighttime as it can make your skin breakdown - it gets unstable after a while of wearing it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
karenannev, dont use sunblock in the evening when the sun goes down, the chemicals in the sunblock are really not supposed to be used for nighttime as it can make your skin breakdown - it gets unstable after a while of wearing it.
Really, LightenNLift? I had no idea about this. I'll just have to switch off all the lights in my house
. Just kidding of course. Gee, am I paranoid or what? Actually I feel really silly admitting this but I've started to wear a hat in my house when I'm under the CFLs. How funny I must look.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Really, LightenNLift? I had no idea about this. I'll just have to switch off all the lights in my house
. Just kidding of course. Gee, am I paranoid or what? Actually I feel really silly admitting this but I've started to wear a hat in my house when I'm under the CFLs. How funny I must look.
There are devices to put over the CFLs to block the uv but I cant remember what. Google around. Or just get rid of the CFLs in your house. Or carry an umbrella around the house...lol

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol, Periwinkle, we just got them in our house! I will look into the covers, I did read vaguely about them. I think if it got an umbrella out, my husband would divorce me for sure, or at least have me committed!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
...not when he sees your beautiful fresh skin! He'll learn to love that umbrella.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I know this theard is old and you probaly wont seee this, but I have done research and floresant lights have the most uv rays in the. I would just use candle lighting lol

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I know this theard is old and you probaly wont seee this, but I have done research and floresant lights have the most uv rays in the. I would just use candle lighting lol
@lightenme, use your @mention feature you would be surprise at our members here. Even though they don't post they do still lurk, so @mention Karenann or any of those especially on threads your digging up from the basement :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts