Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 33 year old male and I've had acne since I was a teenager.
I recently read something about excessive consumption of iodine causing acne in ~ 7% of the population.
So, I decided to reduce my consumption of iodine and over the last 4 months my acne has been reduced significantly.

Sources of iodine:
Seafood
Iodized salt (and any foods that contain iodized salt)
Dairy products - whole milk, skim milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream
Bread
Egg yolks
Multi-vitamins!
Protein powders!
Potatoes
Cured meat (cold cuts)

Some foods that help prevent your body from utilizing iodine:
Unsalted peanuts
Soybean products
Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower)

Six months ago I was eating protein powder, multi vitamins, cured meat, bread, skim milk, yogurt and a lot of iodized salt pretty much every day. So I think I was getting too much iodine. I still get some iodine in my diet, but not nearly as much as before.

I'd like to see some people here try reducing iodine consumption to see if similar results are achieved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd feel very limited in my food choice. This would would cut almost everything I eat out of my diet. Seafood is a really good source of essential amino acids not found anywhere else, so I wouldn't advise cutting that out. Iodized salt could be replaced, that's true.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still eat bread, potatoes, eggs and occasionally cold cuts, so I didn't completely cut out all of these foods.

However, I did notice when I eat out with other people on business trips, vacations, etc, and they order shrimp or calamari for appetizers, if I eat some of the seafood, I'll wake up the next morning with some monster size zits. Seafood has more iodine than pretty much anything else.

Maybe next time I'll try eating broccoli or peanuts with the seafood and see if they help prevent the acne.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts