Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

I've been waxing for 10+ years now and am thinking of getting something more permanent -

does anyone know if IPL lives up to the hype?

thx n

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been having laser treatment for a few years now and its def one of the best things i've ever done!
thanks - my expectations are clear with waxing, every 5-6 weeks or so and it's time again; but IPL is alot more expensive and would need to really work to justify the price ....

·
Registered
698 Posts
hmm well I think my growth with waxing is way sooner that 5-6 weeks so for me it is a must. I have pretty thick hair and laser has made it very fine.

I used to have to 'grow' my leg hair if I had a night out planned and wanted to wear a nice dress as that was the only way I could get a semi decent wax...shaving was just out of the question. It depends on your hair type and growth I guess, but I think it is well worth it and for me I can certainly justify the price (the whole hair ordeal just stressed me out!)

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
It lived up to the hype for me! I too waxed for decades. I did my underarms with IPL & have never looked back. Soo liberating to never have to even think about them. I also did my bikini line (not a full Brazilian style, though) & my lower legs. Best investment ever! I know a woman who was timid & withdrawm due to excessive hsir. It had eroded her confidence & was affecting her life. She had a monobrow, a dark moustache & tons of 'side of the face' & chin hair. She got up the courage to get it all zapped & she's become a whole new person: sociable & engaging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks - in phoning around the prices quoted vary hugely. I've been spoiled, going to the same one woman waxing aesthetician for years just means when its time to find someone / something new (she's moving away) it's harder to know whose advice to follow.

most people are saying multiple treatments (makes sense) and results depend on hair type (agree) but then their prices vary so much it is hard to tell if one service is genuinely better than another.

My waxing takes about 45 mins to do - shoulders, bum and brazilian (boys version) so I'm thinking maybe an hour for each treatment.

One small clinic I spoke with also said that it's way better on ingrown hairs than waxing - did you find the same?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I used diode laser and was very pleased. I no longer shave my legs, underarms or bikini area. I do not even own a razor. It is not 100% on the legs but the hairs are few enough that I need not do anything and they are not noticeable. IPL I never tried but was warned by a friend in Thailand who worked with lasers that IPL carried more risk, especially if you have any level of pigmentation. Diode was very effective but the other lasers were not for me. The thicker and blacker the hairs are the faster it works but also the more painful it is.

·
Registered
698 Posts
As far as I'm aware, laser is more effective than IPL. Something to do with laser producing light with one specific wavelength and IPL using a whole range. I've only had laser, whereas my sister tried both IPL and laser, and found the latter more effective.
It certainly does help with ingrown hairs, I had loads on my legs, which caused horrible marks. Now my legs are smooth and ingrown free
I still get fine hair ever now and then (but baring in mind it was thick and dark prior to treatment) so a few random hairs don't bother me.

I think the area being treated also plays a big part. I had a course of 6 treatments on my legs and I virtually have hair free legs now. I don't see myself going back for another treatment. Whereas I have been having laser on parts of my face for years, and even though the hair is much lighter and finer now, I still need a treatment every 3 months-ish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks both, took the plunge today and tried the patch test out. After discussing aftercare and with summer holidays coming I'm leaving my shoulders until later in the year when any chance of sun exposure is reduced. Although low, I didn't want to chance any pigmentation reaction.

I had the test done on my bum at first, which was fine and WAY less than waxing, just like a rubber band 'zap' is definitely the right word to describe it.

I think you're right, the length/thickness of your hair counts as it holds the heat and heat is the issue. As I was waxed a few weeks ago, the hair was short and so not as bad as if it were longer.

Adjusting the strength of the zap took a few attempts, but did not take long. Other areas were more sensitive, perineum and shaft were a bit more sensitive but ok. Just as with waxing, the eyebrow raising bit was the 'bikini' equivalent, so I guess it's down to the hair type/thickness there.

Anyhow, I'm glad I've taken the first step. Hardly any redness so I'm hoping I'll be fine and then plan out the treatment.

I'm not sure how much to do at each visit - It'll be different on the real treatments

nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts