Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is nagging me to have her hair coloured -- just like most of the other girls in her class. I think she is too young. In a weak moment I said maybe a couple of streaks. Does anyone have an opinion how this will affect her hair. Her hair right now is gorgeous and thick dark brown, very healthy. The streak colour? Purple of course.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Purple? I wouldn't let her do it. I don't think her age has much to do with it. Hair is hair. I guess it comes down to a personal choice between you and her.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yes i had gotten my hair dyed at that age and it hasnt affected it. I had my whole hair purple and it hasnt damaged it. If she wants it done let her. I suppose it is away of expressing herself probably and it should be encouraged.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the procedure -- if bleach is involved I wouldn't want her to do it. Is that what is required. I thought some of those funky colours were a one step procedure..... Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree with Freddy's comment that it comes down to you and her. You know your daughter probably better than she does at this point. There are definitely worse things she could want at 14. Hair grows back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Freddy and dragonlily I second that. Her hair being dark must be bleached for the streaks to show. So yes it is required. I know from experience I got pink and blue streaks in my hair before. Well good luck

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a colour spray product that you can try out first to see if you like the colour? At 16 I had my hair streaked -- I was disappointed with the results.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I think we all go thru that adolescent stage when we have to be outrageous! For me it was green streaks....on blonde hair--->not a good look. Mari has a good suggestion there- there are spray-on products now that can let her be as daring as she wants to be without any damage. Sally Beauty Supply has a host of fun stuff.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fawnie, I think I'll go out and buy a bunch, maybe do my hair too (she won't want to look like mum.)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have dark blonde hair, in summer it gets lighter blonde and of course, in winter, when im not in the sun, my hair gets darker. Well in 9th grade, when i was 14, i begged my mom to let me dye it blonder. Well she fought me about it until she had to give in. I WISH I HADNT, my hair got FRIED!! It was the most horrible experience and i wish to god i never dyed it ever. Ive been trying, since then to let my natural hair grow back (im 20 now) and ive finally found a dark blonde color that i hope will let my natural color grow back. I think a few purple streaks wont hurt at all, as long as theres no bleach involved, just make sure you use a semi-permanent, or ever a wash out color just so she gets the effect she wants for just a day and see if she actually likes it first!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have dark blonde hair, in summer it gets lighter blonde and of course, in winter, when im not in the sun, my hair gets darker. Well in 9th grade, when i was 14, i begged my mom to let me dye it blonder. Well she fought me about it until she had to give in. I WISH I HADNT, my hair got FRIED!! It was the most horrible experience and i wish to god i never dyed it ever. Ive been trying, since then to let my natural hair grow back (im 20 now) and ive finally found a dark blonde color that i hope will let my natural color grow back. I think a few purple streaks wont hurt at all, as long as theres no bleach involved, just make sure you use a semi-permanent, or ever a wash out color just so she gets the effect she wants for just a day and see if she actually likes it first!
Thanks for your story. An update: I took my daughter to my hairdresser who told her two procedures she could have -- one involved bleaching -- with her dark hair that could mean two sessions, the second involved just colouring -- which would wash out within a month. My daughter said she didn't like the colours THAT hairdresser had. She wanted to think about it.

The following week she said she didn't want her hair coloured but she wanted contacts instead. I'm glad she didn't want purple contacts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thats the thing with teenagers, theyre always changing their mind and are so indecisive about looks, its just better to go with semi-permanent or wash out things! At least contacts arent permanent.

·
Registered
319 Posts
hey purple contacts would be a classic elizabeth taylor look though!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey purple contacts would be a classic elizabeth taylor look though!
My daughter may have the hair colour of Elizabeth Taylor but her skin is very different -- very olive. Elizabeth Taylor had the most incredible violet blue eyes -- I guess today you'd call them tanzanite.

My daughter was very taken with the grey contacts -- when she tried them on she looked like the albino in "The Da Vinci Code".... ...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh no! LOL Well maybe a medium blue or hazel color would be better! I have dark brown eyes and when i tried on green contacts once, they dried out and almost got stuck to my eyeballs! It was crazy!

·
Registered
319 Posts
No kidding, neither am i, i was the worst experience of my life, i heard if you dont lubricate the eyes enough with eyedrops when you have contacts in it can get so dry, stick to your eyeball and then you have to have it surgically removed!! YIKES!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm a little older than 14 (ok, more than double) but for a fun change I've used clip in hair pieces that are about 1/2 -1 inch wide in all crazy colours. You life up a section of hair, clip in in close to head and let your natural hair fall over it - they are cheap and look good & can be cut to any length.
I got mine at Sally Beauty on sale for under $5 each! : )

...Oh yeah & please don't let your kids use "Sun-In" thinking it'll give them "natural looking sun-kissed highlights" it's the WORST Shi* on earth! : {

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think I was nearly 14 when I started on the long and weary road of bleach/hair colorants etc.

I could really have done with the caring supervision of someone older and wiser - but just didn't have that! I made a lot of mistakes in those days (and a few in later years, too).

Today I use henna and Indigo to color my hair (50% grey) back to a rich, deep brown. My hair is strong and shiny - bar the fact that the last 5 inches still have the effects of my very last streaking (blonde) in them. BTW, hair is just past BSL now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts