Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I think this thread won't last long before it gets shut down.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
No. I'm just saying that usually anything controversial like religion, politics, the like gets out of hand pretty quick! LOL! We'll see how it goes.

No comment from me on the topic.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Im a fashion student

and no fashion isn't Racist??

i mean BLACK colour is one of the most elegant colour in fashion!

and there are many top black beautiful models!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
No offense, but I would rather pluck my toe nails out with tweezers than have to see one more "is this racist" thread.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
With all the negative, nasty campaign stuff we've been bombarded with for the past almost 4 years, I've had it with this kind of stuff too!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Maybe sanshine is trying to say something..I remember when I was younger, I always thought there are far too few people of "colour" on the runways and in fashion magazines....Also the clothing made then only fit certain body types and not many options for the "curvier" girl. Those were my thoughts and times have changed since..So give her a chance to come back and explain what she meant?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The woman who posted this lame thread is back to give her point. LOL But first thank you cheetahgirl for seeing the other side of this issue. And to you guys, I came up with this question because I happen to see an old Vogue mag and read an article about this. So is fashion racist? Im asking for your point of view and your own experience from where ever place you live.

I am sure that many other fashion enthusiasts have pondered this question as well. People in this industry are so blind when it comes to putting new faces in its clothes, on its runways or in its magazines. Countless models told stories about being rejected for jobs, not because their particular “look†or walk was a problem, but solely based on the fact that they were black. This is actually the scene of the past. People tend to view that black bodies are all wrong for the clothes.

But things have changed a little now and i only see a few issues like this locally like in our place which they prefer snow whites doing the cat walk and which is the reason why everyone is so active on the skin lightening section of the forum. Right?

Dont get me wrong I am not mad.haha I know you guys think that this thread is lame and might have asked why i bother getting upset or asking about these things in the first place.

I just want to know your opinion and now that the fashion industry have come a long way. Where you can see diversity of models you see in the magazines, runways and billboards. You cant stop but think if the question 'is fashion racist' had not came up would we find such change now?

so lets just cut this! At least this thread have stirred your minds and emotions either in a negative or positive manner.

ciao!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Vogue magazine came out and stated that there is a preference for a certain "type."

Whether it be exotic, blonde, super skinny, brunette, etc....but there IS a preference...

and because of the "preference", the magazine devoted an entire issue (last year or the year before) entirely to only black models.

I don't know if the "preference" is racist or not, though....

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Yes, the world of fashion is racist. It is also sexist.

I am not explaining further than the point blank question.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I dont know if this is true but i read somewhere that Rhianna refused to be the face of a Gucci campaign until they used more black models in their runway shows.

Naomi Cambelll basically said the same thing but she waited untill her modelling career was over before she said it ha ha i guess she didnt want to commit professional suicide.

Iman said it too, in fact it was the inspiration behind her make up brand. It was the fact that she was forced to wear white make up because there were no colours for brown skin tones back then.

Tyra Banks is another famous model who has talked openly about racism in fashion, again only once she retired from modelling but better late than never.

So yes, the world of fashion is about white white white. There was a show on TV about it the other day. They even asked one top magazine why they only use white models in runway show's when some of their wealthiest clients are black and Arab, to which they replied - "well because blacks and Arabs want to see white models, becasue white is aspirational and black isnt".

They asked the same question during Brazil fashion week (i think its called that), they asked why are over 90% of the runway models were white when Brazil is such a diverse country, to which one designer replied well because the black models arent beautiful lol

Make of that what you will.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Never mind.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I dont know if this is true but i read somewhere that Rhianna refused to be the face of a Gucci campaign until they used more black models in their runway shows.

Naomi Cambelll basically said the same thing but she waited untill her modelling career was over before she said it ha ha i guess she didnt want to commit professional suicide.

Iman said it too, in fact it was the inspiration behind her make up brand. It was the fact that she was forced to wear white make up because there were no colours for brown skin tones back then.

Tyra Banks is another famous model who has talked openly about racism in fashion, again only once she retired from modelling but better late than never.

So yes, the world of fashion is about white white white. There was a show on TV about it the other day. They even asked one top magazine why they only use white models in runway show's when some of their wealthiest clients are black and Arab, to which they replied - "well because blacks and Arabs want to see white models, becasue white is aspirational and black isnt".

They asked the same question during Brazil fashion week (i think its called that), they asked why are over 90% of the runway models were white when Brazil is such a diverse country, to which one designer replied well because the black models arent beautiful lol

Make of that what you will.
wow, that's cold, frigid even
Sometimes people wonder why people lighten their skin?
or don't want to be black, or whatever nationality
it's really sad. This type of stuff is exactly why its such a problem...oh well.

Is fashion a form a racism? Yeah, but its ALL sorts of "isms" its pretty much the definition of the words. Fashion is a great thing to watch and stuff, but don;t let it influence or guide you. Do ya own thang!

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts