Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Isis, and many black models out there...
I don't see many Asian models though.

I don't think it's racist... but individually the fashion designers and models could be?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I dont know if this is true but i read somewhere that Rhianna refused to be the face of a Gucci campaign until they used more black models in their runway shows.

Naomi Cambelll basically said the same thing but she waited untill her modelling career was over before she said it ha ha i guess she didnt want to commit professional suicide.

Iman said it too, in fact it was the inspiration behind her make up brand. It was the fact that she was forced to wear white make up because there were no colours for brown skin tones back then.

Tyra Banks is another famous model who has talked openly about racism in fashion, again only once she retired from modelling but better late than never.

So yes, the world of fashion is about white white white. There was a show on TV about it the other day. They even asked one top magazine why they only use white models in runway show's when some of their wealthiest clients are black and Arab, to which they replied - "well because blacks and Arabs want to see white models, becasue white is aspirational and black isnt".

They asked the same question during Brazil fashion week (i think its called that), they asked why are over 90% of the runway models were white when Brazil is such a diverse country, to which one designer replied well because the black models arent beautiful lol

Make of that what you will.

I don't consider those the typical "white-blonde-models" and they are pretty famous....

Do you consider those women, if you saw them on the street as a standard white girl? (That's my type of nationality-image too; and I don't consider myself white).

I would guess Hispanic for Adriana Lima and Ambrosia, and maybe Hispanic for Meranda Kerr (she seems more whiter though).

Personally I find them to be the standard of beauty too, mainly Adriana Lima, she epitomizes that look .

and Megan Fox too

But that's just more of her "sex-attitude" than her looks... since to me she is more average than beautiful. Like standard pretty-white girl... but then she seems more exotic when she has a tan.

But then this woman is better looking than all of them

·
Registered
149 Posts
I see plenty of Asian models but honestly from my experience Asians only try to appeal to their own culture. The normally don't market to other cultures which results in less exposure in those markets. There is plenty of Asian models, just not in our regular media. Try pulling up a Asian based media and you will notice dominately asian models... You then might think the opposite....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Guys,
Thank you Sanshine for creating this post. I am a model in the fashion industry and have seen that fashion can be racist. I have been on jobs and myself and all of the other colored girls got told that "we didnt have the right look". As people have said before, yes there is Iman, Noami, and Tyra... but they are not working models; meaning they dont work as a fashion model on a regular basis.
In regards to the Italian Vogue All Black Issue, I loved the issue, but i believe magazines think casting a bunch of colored girls together is a trend. It was the highest selling issue in the magazine's history. When interviewed, the editor Franca Sozzani said that she will never do it again. Why wouldn't you do it again? I believe that she was just following a trend.
In many high fashion magazines lately, there are groups of colored girls together. My only issue is that they are here this season, and next season they will be gone.

People also have to keep in mind that there is many aspects to the fashion industry. I wouldnt say fashion as a whole is racist, i would say that the modeling industry can be.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sometimes I feel fashion is all about changing someone to something they can't achieve. For example, fashion tells fair skinned individuals that they need to be tan but it turns around and shows Beyonce with blonde hair and white washed. skin (look up "beyonce l'oreal white to get my drift). It tells curvy women they need to be thin but then it tells thin girls they need to wear push up bras to look curvier. It's like no one can ever be just right, fashion tells us that it's our job to alter our bodies to the opposite of their reality.

·
Registered
567 Posts
For the record, Alessandra Ambrosio is white, she is of european decent and her family migrated to Brazil.

fashion IS racist. I modeled for years and there IS a strong preference for whiter looking people. I'm half irish, quarter cuban and quarter African American and sometimes I was the only model who didn't have pale skin with blonde hair and blue eyes. The token "other" model. Other times when there were black, asian or hispanic models they were only allowed to walk once in the show while the more european looking girls walked 3 times in one show. Even brunettes or white models with darker features came second to the fairer ones.

Noemie Lenoir has also talked about racism in the industry. It is racist.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have to agree w/ the posters that point out that it's Eurocentric. The majority of high fashion consumers (for the time being, taking aside China's growing spending power of their own middle class) are white. They want to see the racial ideal for a white person. Occasionally when you see a black model they are in newer brands or there to make a 'statement'. But when you think about it, lines like Baby Phat are filled with black and Hispanic models, and now that the Chinese and the Koreans are demanding more of luxury brands, the ad campaigns that target Asian market consumers feature, you guessed it, the racial ideal for a far East Asian person. I have read articles about Indian designers wanting to branch out from their more traditional garb, and the shows that have bubbled up around Indian metropolises. You guessed it. The models were ... Indian!!!

I think that if you have a problem with the fashion industry, show them with your money. I notice that many African Americans and Latinos that pursue luxury continue to shop brands that are traditionally Eurocentric. Ever watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta? Consumerism is about showing off, despite the fact that the brands they insist on do little to showcase their own peoples' beauty. I think Michelle Obama is the first prominent black women I've ever seen make a point to be progressive with her own choices as a luxury consumer. I recently read of Mali's and Nigeria's fashion weeks and up and coming designers, as well as designers of west African descent residing in NYC, London and Denmark. Are they walking w/ pale models? No! They are honoring African prints, culture, designs and walking with black models. To the person that pointed out differences in bone structure, there is a mannequin maker in Cote d'Ivoire, quite famous now, who makes mannequins that are closer to west African womens' builds. People from other parts of the world really need to realize that while the exposure from Eurocentric fashion is great, in the end, it really is about us taking control of our own voice and using it to make active, not reactive choices. Stop expecting others to cater to you, and create things that are reflective of what you want.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts