Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gained a few lbs. these past couple of months and I want to lose about 15 lbs. Is it possible for me to still lose weight if I drank vodka and diet sprite once a week? Please do explain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say definately.

I managed to lose 3 stone in 8 months and I still regularly drank beer and wine, I just cut out all the bad food and did a little exercise, I would recommend to other people to cut out high calorie drinks as I didn't actually lose the flabby belly.

So vodka and diet sprite would definately not be harmful towards your weight loss, especially not once a week.

·
Registered
529 Posts
how much are you going to drink.. like copious amounts? it would prob dry your skin out

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
I gained a few lbs. these past couple of months and I want to lose about 15 lbs. Is it possible for me to still lose weight if I drank vodka and diet sprite once a week? Please do explain.
Vodka and diet sprite once a week Eternal? No worries!! Beer is loaded with carbs and calories. Wine is high in sugar, but can be low in calories. There are approximately 64 calories in a shot of vodka, no sugar, no carbs.

I don't see anything wrong with having a drink once a week and this is a great drink to choose, if you are trying to cut calories-

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Vodka and diet sprite once a week Eternal? No worries!! Beer is loaded with carbs and calories. Wine is high in sugar, but can be low in calories. There are approximately 64 calories in a shot of vodka, no sugar, no carbs.

I don't see anything wrong with having a drink once a week and this is a great drink to choose, if you are trying to cut calories-
All the food and drinks that we consume consist of three macronutrients; fat, protein, and carbs. It is impossible for something to have 64 calories and no carbs. In fact, those calories come from something and it definately isn't fat or protein, so guess what it is?

In regards to drinking and what no with dieting. It really depends on you. If you want to drink then you can drink, no one is going to stop you. But I can tell you this, the cons of drinking aren't limited to the amount of calories that you consume. It has more to do with the negative effects it has on your metabolism, insulin spiking, and it's catabloic inducing properties.

However, Ms. Eternal, continue as you wish.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey Fawnie,

Thanks for the welcome.

I had just been busy with work, finishing my basement, buying a car, and dealing with possible another reccurance of pneumonia (going to the doctor tomorrow).

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
All the food and drinks that we consume consist of three macronutrients; fat, protein, and carbs. It is impossible for something to have 64 calories and no carbs. In fact, those calories come from something and it definately isn't fat or protein, so guess what it is?

In regards to drinking and what no with dieting. It really depends on you. If you want to drink then you can drink, no one is going to stop you. But I can tell you this, the cons of drinking aren't limited to the amount of calories that you consume. It has more to do with the negative effects it has on your metabolism, insulin spiking, and it's catabloic inducing properties.

However, Ms. Eternal, continue as you wish.
Wow, then the nutrition facts must be wrong. I also checked on my Ketel One Bottle and it has 0 carbs, and only 69 calories. To me, that is a pretty damn good choice for a low cal cocktail. Add a little diet tonic and lots of lime........and it's very tasty.

Calories in Gin, Rum, Vodka, Whiskey

Plus, a drink a week even a couple is no harm, as long as you aren't behind the wheel!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
They measure alcohol as a separate "macronutrient" in their legend (which isn't accurate) but possibly done so do make it easier to understand and perhaps even confuse people kinda how they say a certain food has x amount of calories but in reality the serving size is tiny and a normal person would eat four of their servings at one sitting.

1 gram of protein = 4 calories
1 gram of carb = 4 calories
1 gram of fat = 9 calories

Why alcohol calories are more important than you think...

In regards to drinking for pleasure. I'm all for it if it is done responsible, and I agree with gymrat that once a week won't hurt, all I was saying was that if you were really serious about it you would have to cut it out completely, but results can still be had either way.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This man on the train (who was a bit weird) started to talk to me-telling me his life story, he said that he was a severe alcoholic but because he used to walk home-home being five miles away he lost weight and that his liver wasn't at all affected. After he said that I learnt that you can lose weight whilst consuming alcohol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was intrigued about the carbs and alcohol so I found this article that explains it pretty well:

Ask an Expert: Alcohol turning into sugar

It seems that technically there aren't carbs in alcohol but with the way our bodies process it we do end up with carbs from it.

From this article: http://www.wellnesstips.ca/blood-sugar regulation.htm:

"Alcohol creates an insulin response just as sugar does, so reducing alcohol consumption is also very important if you are trying to lose weight, avoid disease and improve your health."

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This man on the train (who was a bit weird) started to talk to me-telling me his life story, he said that he was a severe alcoholic but because he used to walk home-home being five miles away he lost weight and that his liver wasn't at all affected. After he said that I learnt that you can lose weight whilst consuming alcohol.
This weight that he lost was due to the catabloism in his body and muscle consuming characteristics that occur in the body when consuming alcohol. I didn't say you couldn't lose weight consuming alcohol, I said that it just makes things "messier"

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I was intrigued about the carbs and alcohol so I found this article that explains it pretty well:

Ask an Expert: Alcohol turning into sugar

It seems that technically there aren't carbs in alcohol but with the way our bodies process it we do end up with carbs from it.

From this article: Blood-Sugar Regulation:

"Alcohol creates an insulin response just as sugar does, so reducing alcohol consumption is also very important if you are trying to lose weight, avoid disease and improve your health."
This is true, but your body will recognize it as a carb (as you stated) hence the calories. Calories due have to come from somewhere.

Also, as I stated above, (and you stated as well), it's not so much the calories that are the problem, but the other effects it has on your body.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts