Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have KP (keratosis pilaris or something like that) and I've heard different things so I was wondering if it's a type of eczema. if not...what causes it? and what's the best way to get rid of it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I Wiki'ed it and it doesn't appear to be connected to eczema, there are different treatments for it just google it then click wiki and there are plenty of stuff for you there!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It's genetic. I have it too. Exfoliation and moisturization minimizes its appearance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Kellyy, I've had KP all my life too. As far as I know, you can treat, but when you stop treating, it comes back. I have phases when I look after it every day, then go for ages without worrying about it. I find BHA lotions work the best for me. I use the lotion base since I have dry skin and eczema too. I have an AHA lotion I'm planning to try too, but haven't yet. I think the BHA is supposed to be better for bumps and blockages, and AHA better for overall exfolliation, but that's just my impression so far. hth some and good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are different types of eczema and a person may develop more than one types simultaneousely.Common types of eczema includes
1. Atopic dermatitis or Atopic Eczema
2. Contact dermatitis or Atopic Eczema
3.Seborrhic dermatitis or Seborrheic Eczema
4.Occupational dermatitis or Occupational Eczema
Tips to prevent eczema:
Bathing is good for all skin types, it removes dust and other impurities from skin. But moderation is very imporant in such cases. Too long bathing washes away natural moisture from skin leaving it dry and itching, this can aggeravate eczema. So,
* Cut short bathes to 15 minutes or less.
* Use lukr warm water as too hot water dries the skin.
* Use some mild cleansers and avoid harsh soaps.
* Pat dry after a bath and apply moisturizer when skin is still wet.
You can get more information about eczema by checking this link:
Types of Eczema

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
"Keratosis pilaris is common on the upper arms and thighs. This skin condition is genetic and treated with exfoliants like Salex or Retin A which are both prescription. In some patients Kp resolves in the eary twenties but in others it will persist. Another possible is that you have follicular eczema which is a type of dry skin that can affect the pores. This type of eczema is treated with topical cortisone. Since I cannot see the bumps, I would recommend that you visit your local dermatologist for the correct diagnosis and treatment."

(quoted from Dermatology: Little bumps, keratosis pilaris, follicular eczema)

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have this too! I read about a product called KP Duty by Dermadoctor. I tried it and I used it along with the recommended Dermadoctor body scrub. Both have AHA. My skin was sooooo soft!! But, even after months and months, the bumps didn't go away. Finally I had to stop using it because in the summertime I spent time in the pool and at the beach and I was getting sunburn from the AHAs. I gave up. It wash after that when I started using my Susan Ciminelli marine lotion on my arms. (Previously I was using it on my legs after shaving and also on my face) I was astonished when I suddenly noticed (after a few months) that the bumps were almost gone! I didn't expect that to happen. I was also using the algae baths and that might have also contributed, I am not sure if it was both things together, or just the lotion alone. But, I have continued using the marine lotion on my arms and they are barely noticeable now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have both. KP is a condition where your body does not shed skin properly usually in the arm and legs but also face and back. The dead skin clogs pores and forms little bumps. It is not a life threatening condition and it is genetic. That's why all the treatments involve an exfoliant and a moisturizer afterwards. Eczema is a skin reaction usually aggrevated by an allergic reaction to something. It could be in the air, water or food. That's why the treatments involve an anti-inflammatory like hydrocortisone. With my KP, I exfoliate with a buffpuff and moisturize in the shower with coconut oil. It works great, it is cheap and you don't need to go to the doctors for a prescription. I have eczema, I do not put coconut oil on my face as I think my face is allergic to it. I immediately dry my face after it gets wet or that I wash it because wetness appears to aggravate my skin somehow. I wear a moisturizer that loves my skin - Shiseido Bio Performance.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
My daughter has KP. I made her lactic acid lotion and the bumps have gone away. Now, they make come back when she stops using it, but for now they're gone. It's cheap and easy to make. You could try that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have it 2. I have had ever since birth and they just made the diagnostics just this past month. Do you use a cream??? As for your question I'm not sure exactly.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Rutin 500 mg by mouth every day will clear it up once and for all. Rutin is a bioflavinoid supplement you can get at any health food store or online at iHerb.com.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts