Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that lightening the skin does not seem very safe. Is it like putting bleach on your skin?

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are risks with doing anything to your skin. Whether it be lightening, tanning or even treating acne and wrinkles. There has even been some evidence that the main ingredient in most acne products (benzoyl peroxide) can cause cancer. So you have to research what you are doing and know the risks involved. With every drug or medicine, the benefits should outweight the risks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Lightening skin may be unsafe but having low self-esteem is even more dangerous.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i think products like hydroquinone used for years and years is unsafe. i want to start a treatment with HQ then do peels, body microdermabrasion and sunscreen to maintain. just about everything we do to our bodies; from just our diets to stuff like doing skin lighteneing has some kind of risk. you just have to make sure you know the risk and minimize them as much as possible. of course there are some risks not worth taking but to each their own. im dont think i have low self esteem but i would like an improvement. i would feel more confident and more beautiful if i fixed my problem areas. i dont want to change who i am but i want to improve who i am on the outside.

·
Registered
40 Posts
And couldn't agree more. None of us is perfect & a bit of improvement will help us all. The truth is when you look better you feel better & when you feel better you do better. And when you do better you feel better about yourself. And all of us (except for the egomanics) can always use a extra, "God I feel great about myself!" moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think
some chemical products can affect your skin....so if you really want to lighten your skin, do it using herbal home-made recipes, which are much secured and safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, that is deep and very insightful. Self esteem is critically important!

Ooops, I did not mean to post this twice and I do not know how to delete it... I am still learning how to use this forum, thanks for being patient.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, that is deep and very insightful. Self esteem is critically important! It makes me wonder if all of the dieting is helping our self esteem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
A fair number of people have an allergic reaction to hydroquinone. Only a doctor can prescribe 4% strength; 2% hydroquinone is available at medi-spas and from estheticians. Whether cream or gel, the majority of people who use skin lighteners are pleased. For those who want to use only natural ingredients, there are what's called skin brighteners. The change is gradual, much slower than a product with hydroquinone. Natural skin brighteners include kojic acid and licorice extract. Used in conjunction with poly hydroxyacids or alpha hydroxyacids, and with consistent, twice-daily use, these skin brighteners will fade sun spots and even out skin tone. Exuviance makes an excellent skin lightener with 2% hydroquinone and NeoStrata offers a couple of good brighteners as well as lighteners. These are professional strength, pharmaceutical-grade products--an important factor in choosing skin care products. They're more expensive, but you use much smaller quantities and they really work. Derma e--an all-natural, fragrance-free, cruelty-free skin care line--also sells a couple of good skin brighteners, one for the face and one for the eye area. Bear in mind also that SkinCeuticals markets several products that fade brown spots, though that's not all they do: SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic; SkinCeuticals Serum 10 AOX, Serum 15 and Serum 20, SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense, and SkinCeuticals C + AHA. These products work beneath the surface of the skin, in the dermis, and by promoting the growth of healthy new collagen cells, cell turnover rate is accelerated and with continued use healthy new skin will take the place of sun damage discolorations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nothing works like hydroquinone. All the other products don't lighten as good. I've known ppl who have used hydro for years without any problems. The ones who suffer from the effects are people who live in really hot climates and don't use sunscreen

1 - 20 of 22 Posts