Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know in my heart of hearts all the science behind it and know I should be using it and loving it, but it really dries out my skin! I use RAM 0.04% so it shouldn't be that irritating. I was using ADC 0.05% and then buffering it and STILL it was drying.

I use Vit C serum and Xtendlife in the am under my ss, but still feel like my skin is drydrydry underneath.

I stopped RA for a couple days and my skin actually looked better! No more alligator skin!

Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Maybe you can use something super hydrating during the day, like a serums with hyaluronic acid, if your skin lacks moisture/is dehydrated. Or, if your skin lacks oil/is dry, not dehydrated, try a couple drops of oil.
I use mineral oil containing moisturizers under my sunscreen, I know most people hate mineral oil in their skin care, but for me they work nicely (I love Sisley Ecological Compound and Sisley Neck Cream, both are lightweight emulsions).
Are you using any exfoliators, chemical or physical? I find that a mild exfoliator helps with my dry and rough skin nicely. I love Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Refiner, but there are many different alternatives out there.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Yep I have to agree with this twisted baby.

Maybe after applying it, wait an hour or so, then apply jojoba ontop of the RA. Or how about alternating nights? But try applying a moisturizer or just jojoba on after the RA.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.
I will go back to using my HA serum (MyChelle) since it sounds like dehydration.
Exfoliation? Maybe TOO much: microfibre cloth once a week plus the vit C serum which does contain jojoba.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Fawnie, if it continues to be drying then maybe you should resume using the Green Cream, its true Retin-A is not for everyone and if your skin looks better when you stop using it then its telling you something. Ive always promoted Retin-A but I also love retinol as well because thats what I used before Retin-A, so either one is great.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RATS! I just got 2 pump bottles of the RAM from my Canadian pharmacy too! I think I will cut back to 3 or 2 times a week with it and see if that helps.

Yes, Green Cream was a kinder and gentler thing for me but I wasn't sure I was getting all the DNA-changing strength of the Big Gun.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
they sell retin-A in pump bottles? hmm weird, I didnt think anybody used that much. Retinol converts to tretinoin (retin-A) when its on the skin so you are getting DNA change as well, its just not as harsh.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
RATS! I just got 2 pump bottles of the RAM from my Canadian pharmacy too! I think I will cut back to 3 or 2 times a week with it and see if that helps.

Yes, Green Cream was a kinder and gentler thing for me but I wasn't sure I was getting all the DNA-changing strength of the Big Gun.
Whats the strength on the pumps fawnie? Love those things!!!

Also, I don't think you are over exfoliating. Once a week with the cloth is nothing. I use it once a day!!

I agree if your skin looks better without it, there is a reason. Your skin knows what is likes and what it doesn't like. Stick with the green cream, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fawnie...I know what you mean, it took me a few weeks to get used to RA but like you and other peeps have suggested I put HA or Jojoba oil 1 hour later and it really helps. I use the microfiber 2x daily and does wonder. Maybe your skin is too sensitive for RA. Everyone's skin is different, do what works best for you

I know in my heart of hearts all the science behind it and know I should be using it and loving it, but it really dries out my skin! I use RAM 0.04% so it shouldn't be that irritating. I was using ADC 0.05% and then buffering it and STILL it was drying.

I use Vit C serum and Xtendlife in the am under my ss, but still feel like my skin is drydrydry underneath.

I stopped RA for a couple days and my skin actually looked better! No more alligator skin!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

You want to know what---my skin looks better with just the C and Xtendlife than it has in years! I have not had a huge wrinkle issue on the face but thought it was down to retin-a and honestly I always had a reddish hue so without some powder or somethint to "calm" my look I had a "ruddy" look. Since I started taking days off and just using Xtendlife and vitamin C I look so much better that people have commented and the tiny lines under my eyes are even less than with retin-a. I think you are on to something!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I tried RA and like you my skin was very dry. I tried exfoliating twice a week, HA serum, jojoba/olive oil...but my skin was still dry and I didn't see any improvement to my skin. Then I started using Green Cream at your suggestion Fawnie and to be honest with you, it works great. I don't have to moisturize after using ...at least not in the summer....might have to in the winter. I will not go back to RA cause my skin did not look better. So I agree with LnL....Retin-A is not for everyone.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. Now: Is anyone interested in two brand new never opened 50 gram pump bottles of Retin-A Micro 0.04% for what I paid for them + postage?

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
The pumps are handy. Easy to determine how much you need. One pump or two pumps-

What are the expiration dates fawnie?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exp date is Jan 2011
I paid $110USD for both + postage to wherever you are.
If you are interested in one or both please PM me! Thanks!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts