Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Silicone in make up is good or bad for the skin?? because it's quite hard to avoid it as it is now commonly found in liquid foundations, primers and serums.

Any ideas will be helpful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's the million dollar question for me as well.

I think there are different kinds of silicone...the ones that are used as vehicles to get a product onto the skin and then evaporate immediately afterward are OK...but for some, they're used in place of oil and actually seem to give the look of aging to the skin. At least to mine, it does.

As well....minerals in make-up...another skin age accelerator..again, at least for mine.

It's difficult to find even simple moisturisers or cosmetics these days without being sensitive or looking/feeling more dried out....sigh.

Are they good or bad? hmmmm.....I think they're becoming what we want..not greasy feeling, oil-free, etc. not good from my perspective without enough alternatives.

h

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks for your replies,

I guess it is down to making sure you remove your make up properly.
The type of silicone thats in make up should be okay since they are tested right?

I know that the foundation that im currently using contains some type of silicon. It is the Clarins instant smooth foundation, the texture is fantastic but i think im going to use something else next time to give my skin a break from silicone, just incase.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Minnie, are you concerned about silicone because of the problems with silicone breast implants? Cosmetics aren't implanted inside your body, remember, altho a certain amount does get absorbed thru the skin probably.

Dimethicone, another type of silicone, is an ingredient in Gas-X and Mylicon baby colic drops. It is approved by FDA, for what that's worth. So do I think it's safe? Yes.

Clarins Instant Smooth is a nice product! Just use a tiny amount and be sure to remove it scrupulously each nite so it doesn't build up like wax on a ******* floor! I use DHC cleansing oil and then a soap afterwards to make sure I get everything off at night, but I am OCD about it!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1 Posts
People with sensitive or acne prone skin must be weary of using daily. it creates a spackle like effect, smoothing in fine lines and pores which is both good and bad. Good because it creates a flawless finish. Bad bc it prevents the skin from breathing and increases acne breakouts. Silicone ( or dimethicone) primer can be mixed with a foundation to achieve this type and it makes it waterproof.

Silicones are polymers (natural and synthetic materials) that include silicon together with carbon, hydrogen, oxygen.

Dimethicone (also called polymethylsiloxane) is a silicon-based polymer.

Both are used as a lubricant and conditioning agent.

AKA
DIMETHYL SILICONE; HIGHLY POLYMERIZED METHYL POLYSILOXANE; METHYL POLYSILOXANE; SILICONE L-45; DIMETHICONE COPOLYOL; DC 1664; DIMETHICONE 350; DIMETICONE; DOW CORNING 1664; MIRASIL DM 20; VISCASIL 5M

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is silocone harmful when used in an airbursh applicator like "temptu?" I was interested in purchasing this product then I saw that it had silicone in. In one review someone stated that this could cause lung cancer. I am a cancer (uterine) survivor and don't want to use something that might be harmful. Thanks for any information you might have.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Is silocone harmful when used in an airbursh applicator like "temptu?"  I was interested in purchasing this product then I saw that it had silicone in.  In one review someone stated that this could cause lung cancer.  I am a cancer (uterine) survivor and don't want to use something that might be harmful.  Thanks for any information you might have.
You mean this review mamadunn? http://www.occmakeup.com/faq4.html and http://www.sehsc.com/PDFs/Guidance%20for%20Aerosol%20Applications-Sep%2001.pdf I guess if you are concerned, then airbrush isnt for you. :nix: Its not like a person can wear a mask to apply it! You could hold your breath while applying and quickly move to another area. Just a thought.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts