Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! so heres the intro...my name is nikki and im a proud mother of 3 beautiful girls. i was recently re-married and im loving life!....except for one thing....MY FACE!!! i hate it and dealing with it is getting old. ive been dealing with a zitty face since i was 16 and i am now 28, and ive tried so many things. even prescriptions dont help. my skin is so oily....my glasses wont stay in place. i used murad and demanded a refund. then i tried proactiv for 2 years and it was amazing! i was waiting for the "its to good to be true" scenario to kick in.....and then it did...i started breaking out again, just like before i used it. they say you cant become immune to it...and im living proof that YES you can. so yesterday i bought the neutrogena acne system and my fingers are crossed! if there is anyone out there that has been thru these struggles and came out on top....please help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My daughter did well with proactiv for awhile and then it all of a sudden stopped working. You really must do research on an all natural product and also do some research on your diet. Cutting back on certain foods and adding certain supplements may help you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info! ive tried cutting out the greasy foods and even chocolate. i drink lots of water. but it didnt have any influence at all. what kind of supplements should i try? im trying to find answers to my own issue so i can give my daughters advice. i dont want them going thru what i have in the last 12 years. can you recommend an all natural product?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
hello all! so heres the intro...my name is nikki and im a proud mother of 3 beautiful girls. i was recently re-married and im loving life!....except for one thing....MY FACE!!! i hate it and dealing with it is getting old. ive been dealing with a zitty face since i was 16 and i am now 28, and ive tried so many things. even prescriptions dont help. my skin is so oily....my glasses wont stay in place. i used murad and demanded a refund. then i tried proactiv for 2 years and it was amazing! i was waiting for the "its to good to be true" scenario to kick in.....and then it did...i started breaking out again, just like before i used it. they say you cant become immune to it...and im living proof that YES you can. so yesterday i bought the neutrogena acne system and my fingers are crossed! if there is anyone out there that has been thru these struggles and came out on top....please help!
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with acne. Have you been to a dermatologist? A Dr, could recommend a few topicals. Differin and Clindamycin gel are a few you could try.

I took just about every antibiotic plus used every topical. Took every supplement, cut out certain foods. Added certain foods. NOTHING helped. I ended up on Accutane for 6 months, and have been acne free since January. I wish i would have taken it sooner. That is my honest opinion. But then again, I didn't have just mild acne, I had cystic acne.

If you want to try and battle this on your own, try washing with a cleanser that salicylic acid is the active ingredient. Which I believe Neutrogena has a few of them. If you have oily skin, go for an oil free moiturizer, but you do need to use one, even if you have oily skin. If you don't use a moisturizer, your skin will produce more oil in place of the oil is it lacking. Also, try oil blotting papers if you haven't already.

If your consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables is low, take a multi-vitamin supplement. Buy supplements at a health food store rather than a discount store or supermarket. The vitamin and mineral sources will be higher quality. A few others you could try are Zinc (aids in healing of tissue and assists in preventing scarring. It also helps the body resist infection and inflammation) Omega 3 (they maintain healthy cell membranes and ensure the normal transport of nutrients into cells. For those reasons, a supplement of omega-3 fats is one of the most important nutrients for acne) And drink plenty of WATER!!

Last but not least, try not to stress too much over this, because this will only make matters worse-

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't mean cutting out greasy foods necessarily although that is a good idea. Many people have allergic reactions to certain foods which may make them break out. Could be dairy products, sugar, artificial dyes, etc. The only way to find out is to start eliminating certain foods for a week (lets say dairy), or eliminating several types of food and then adding them back into your diet slowly to see what happens.

The other way diet makes a difference is by adding certain foods. For example, I never ate fruit growing up and when after forcing myself to eat a peice of fruit every day, my health, and skin changed. Unfortunately, people don't discover the "healthy" stuff until the signs of aging set in. Anyhow, there are tons of books at the library or health food store about how what you put on the inside of your body affects the outside.

A couple of books you can try are:

The Truth About Beauty by Kat James

The New Science of Perfect Skin: Understanding Skin Care Myths and Miracles For Radiant Skin at Any Age by Daniel Yarosh (Hardcover - May 6, 2008)

Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles: Eat Your Way to Firmer, More Beautiful Skin with the 100 Best Anti-Aging Foods by Allison Tannis MS

always remember this...healthy on the inside, healthy on the outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts