Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone I'm new to skin lightening and I just wanted to wonder if there's a limit to this. Like in theory could someone go from Fitzpatrick Shade V to Fitzpatrick II or even I. (From black to near white/white essentially.)

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I mean there’s people on here that have been lightening for 10+ years but haven’t even gotten close to that.
disagree i've seen some pretty amazing extreme transformations I saved the pics I won't post because due to respect of those people
But using the search engine u can see it for yourself even people going from lupita do ligther than mariah carey

The thing is lighter u are from u natural shade the harder it would probably be to mantain
It prob requires more time efford and money

·
Registered
388 Posts
disagree i've seen some pretty amazing extreme transformations I saved the pics I won't post because due to respect of those people
But using the search engine u can see it for yourself even people going from lupita do ligther than mariah carey

The thing is lighter u are from u natural shade the harder it would probably be to mantain
It prob requires more time efford and money
Don’t believe all the pictures you see. I’ve seen some pictures and when I see people in reality they look like someone else. Filters!!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Don’t believe all the pictures you see. I’ve seen some pictures and when I see people in reality they look like someone else. Filters!!!
It doesn't even need to be added filters to look lighter in photos.

Drastic SL transformations can and do happen with patience and a dedicated regimen. That's why a person's starting complexion is important to note in their journey. That said, photos can be very deceiving without any ill intent. I can attest to looking very different in pictures depending on the camera and time of day.

I'm about Tiffany Haddish's complexion, a tad lighter probably (around NC47). Not light-skinned, not dark-skinned, and tan quite brown very easily. At one event, candid photos of me were taken that looked pretty accurate as far as my natural shade. In another candid photo taken with another camera, I looked closer to NC42-44 and much more yellow. My goal shade, in fact.

Same day, same place, different shade. It would have been enough of a difference to post online and claim I had lightened in shades. Lightening 2-3, even 4 shades is easy to do with a camera through no fault of your own.

Keep in mind also that having your natural complexion be Lupita and permatanning to Lupita are two different things. A permatanned Lupita is probably Kelly Rowland naturally, for example. I permatanned my face to Kelly Rowland's complexion but I'm not her natural shade. Permatans are much easier to change than actually lightening your non-tanned skin tone all over, evenly.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hello, everyone I'm new to skin lightening and I just wanted to wonder if there's a limit to this. Like in theory could someone go from Fitzpatrick Shade V to Fitzpatrick II or even I. (From black to near white/white essentially.)

Thanks

Sorry @michaeljackson2021 I didn't answer your question. In theory, it's possible a Fitz V could reach the Fitz II threshold (skin tone-wise), with lasers, IVs, little to no sun exposure, and thousands of dollars dedicated solely to SL. Never say never.

In practice, outside of some rare examples from those whose lifestyle is SL or from years of expensive IVs, no. First, it's not realistic, especially the darker you are. Fitz V includes lots of different shades (Tiffany Haddish, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Gina Torres, and Barack Obama are all Fitz V, for example). Completely different shades and starting points. A Fitz II is Blake Lively, Lucy Liu, or Chris Hemsworth. Fitzpatrick shades also include other phenotypic features like hair color/eye color that correlate with skin tone.

Why is it unrealistic? Surely if you stuck to your routine for a very long time you would eventually get there?
@brownies19 is right - the bigger the gap is in your natural shade and end shade, the harder it is to maintain, especially with work, family, finite funds, and the regular stresses of life.

- (non-permatanned) Lupita to Kelly Rowland/Naomi Campbell? doable and still requires a lot of dedication to maintain.

- Lupita to Gabrielle Union? Hard to maintain but doable to reach with the right regimen over months/years.

- Lupita to Mariah? that's Fitz VI to Fitz IV and Very, very difficult to maintain for life. SL will essentially become your lifestyle/hobby.

Not to mention, it's not really comparing like and like - Mariah is a mixed-race person who already had a fair-skinned dad and Lupita is deep brown-skinned with Kenyan blood and little to no non-afro admixture. It's a completely different genetic/phenotypical baseline.

Also note, effectiveness is relative. It's based on trial and error. What works for you might not work for others and vice versa.

Case in point: a user and I both used the exact same product. It worked for her and she liked it. I got hives and had to quit using it. Money spent with no improvement, and in my case, setbacks from hyperpigmentation. Effectiveness is not guaranteed.

Of course, this assumes everything in life stays the same - which we all know it doesn't. Users have come back to the forum with complaints that products that worked for them for years no longer work, products get reformulated or discontinued, some get reactions, some get pregnant or are breastfeeding, must stop their regimens, and redarken. Some have unforeseen skin ailments that impede their regimen. Some are less consistent for other reasons - it is not easy to keep lightening discreet and effective while maintaining a normal life. We don't live in a vacuum and it is your skin, after all. People will notice if in 2020 you were a natural Lupita and in 2022, your skin resembles Gabrielle Union's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts