Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wondered this for a long time. Is there any difference besides the price? Do the salon products really have anything special in them?

·
Registered
582 Posts
It depends on the product. Just because they sell it in a salon doesn't mean its good for your type of hair as well as in the stores. But most of the products in a salon are a little bit better, actually, i think a whole lot better. Especially from a Professionial Beauty Supply. I mean Pantene Pro V compared to say... Joico. Joico wins! I have seen the difference but still, you have to use the one especially formulated for your hair type.

e.g. ...color treated, normal, dry, oily, etc...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help. My hair is pretty normal I would say. It is starting to thin out though since I am getting older. Is there a certain professional brand you would recommend?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use Matrix when I want volume. Its in a blue bottle. Though, Nioxin is formulated for "thinning hair". I'm 18. I use it. It helps to grow hair back thick and healthy if you use it right and use the right one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been buying Salon Hair products for a while now. I find a big enough difference to spend the extra money. I switched because I realized that my hair always felt great when I left the salon. More body, texture, volume. One day a lightbulb went off in my head. Gee, maybe it is the products. So I purchased, used & stuck with it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Personally, I think that salon products can work just as well as store bought products

·
Registered
360 Posts
Pureology nanoworks is amazing salon stuff. you wont find it in a department store but thats partially cuz its soooooo expensive. i definitely believe salon hair treatments are 100x better than department stores but if your hair is not screaming for help, save yourself some money and go cheap!

·
Registered
6 Posts
usually i find that store bought fades easier. i got my hair done for the first time at vidal sassoon location and, while i would normally just dye my hair the same color red w/o any thought, but they spent like 15 minutes devising a plan b/c my roots were black. and i've had my red in for about 3 weeks now and it is still vibrant, while the store-bought dye turned a dull red after a few washes

·
Registered
388 Posts
I find a big difference too, salon products (depending on the product and what you are looking for)....are much better than store brand products.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I loved reading all of your responses to this thread! As a stylist, I am constantly looking for ways to help my clients understand the difference between what I suggest to them and store bought products (pantene, prell etc.) There absolutely is a difference... an example concerning large store shampoo and hair color....

Drug store products are mass produced to accommodate the large volume of people they serve. Hair color and shampoo's are made to generally work on everyone. GENERALLY WORK ON EVERYONE. We all know that each of us have different necessities. SO...

Store bought Hair color listed as "light ash blonde" must be formulated to work on a natural blonde, a red head, a brunette even ethnic hair types.(darker coarser hair requires a different concentration of product to achieve a lighter shade) The strength of this color is strong enough to attempt to accommodate all of the mentioned hair types.
Salon color is formulated by your stylist to only use the strength of developer that your hair needs. A natural blonde that just wants to spruce things up a bit does not need the strength of developer that say a brunette would need to achieve the same result. Thus after time, your hair is broken down, split, dry and ... dead!

Shampoo... the same. The detergents alone in store bought products are excessive so that ANY type of hair is stripped to bare, giving an immediate feeling of clean. Most of us do not need a product that strong. Clean yes, but at the price of the integrity of your hair, which is important when chemically treating or even styling your hair.

Just a suggestion to try a month with a salon brand that is prescribed for you, then try your brand... I'd bet my license that even if you choose to ignore the result, you will certainly notice a difference
)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
This is a two year old thread, I don't know if all the members still frequent the board.
I don't think there is much difference between store bought shampoos and salon shampoos. Both do the same job with the store product being cheaper of course

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think there is a big difference between the two. I use to use the cheap stuff thinking the same thing, they are the same. I realized they are not the more expensive stuff works so much better. I am never going back to the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I just tried that new herbal essences lucious shampoo, Junk, I dont know but my scalp felt sorta little itchy with them OTC shampoos and condish, My hair is used to them Organic stuffs now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think there is a big difference definately. I use to use supermarket shampoo like Sunsilk etc. and once I tried a salon shampoo I have never gone back buying cheap products.. I noticed a big diffenrece after one use, my hair felt sooo much better and properly moisturised (I use to have really dry hair from bleaching). Professional products tends to give more managebility too, of course it depends from the actual product but I have tried many different salon products and they all seem to work better.. Like somebody said earlier that cheaper shampoo's strip the hair, salon shampoo cleanses the hair properly, but the moisturisers in the shampoo are better quality keeping your hair in better shape in the long run..

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
There is a difference. Drug store products never really work for me, their shampoos don't get my hair clean, but manage to irritate my scalp (all the way from Garnier, Loreal, Nivea till quasi-salon like John Frieda, Londa, Trevor Sorbie that are sometimes used in salons).
My favorite brand is Joico, but Leonor Greyl, Philip B, Kerastase, Davines are good too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i dunno abt shampoos but i felt a diff b/w hairsprays n mousse. i tried tresseme and there was one other that i don't remember now. i hated it. now i'm using Regis DesignLine n i'm liking this stuff. but not all salon products will be upto ur liking like i didn't like Paul Mitchelle Conditioner n Lanza straightening balm.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Sisely Botanical Frequent Use Shampoo is the best for me. I don't even need a separate conditioner with it and it leaves my fine, highlighted hair bouncy and soft with tonnes of body! It's spendy but it you have a friendly Sisely SA who can give you a sample packet it will last you a long time!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts