Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been happening for about two months now. On the tip of my thumb, my skin seems to be slowly eaten away by something. There are a sea of clear mini bumps right under the skin. It looks like it's spreading over the tip of my thumb. The skin would randomly pop one of those little bumps. If I don't put any steroids on it, it would take off a chunk of my thumb, almost like something had chucked off a part of my thumb. It's really scary. Anyway, I've been to the doctors a couple of times for this. They gave me a steroid ointment and told me to keep it moist. The steroid makes it go away. But if I don't use it, it keeps coming back. It looked normal and clear for about ten days, so I didn't use steroids. Then it just came back again, real itchy and disgusting. It doesn't look like the other eczema I have. It's usually red and bumpy on my skin, not white and clear under my skin. But it does react to steroids. But it's also very inconvenient, because sometimes I can only use one hand to do things, and life sucks if you can't use one of your thumbs. The doctors keep saying its eczema, but I don't know if I believe them. I've had MRSA before, but they said it doesn't look like MRSA. The steroid I'm using is also very strong, I'm not supposed to use it long term. But I've been depending on it for at least a month.

·
Registered
13 Posts
doesn't sound like eczema to me. it sounds like a fungal infection...especially as a steroid cream seems to help it. have you been for a blood test?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, that's good to know. some of the spots also went under my nails, but the doctor never suspected that it may be a nail fungal infection. my nail isn't chipped though. do you have any idea what causes this? should i go back to the doctor suggesting it may be a fungal infection or just buy some fungal cream?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have tiny white bumps on my hands, the inside. I use a highly potent steroid creme and it makes it go away. I have eczema also on my neck, front and back, and my elbows and inner arms. I've been using products that contain hyaluronic acid and it really does work in combination with the steroid creme. the hyaluronic acid seems to take the inflammation away and some of the itchyness. But if I run out of the creme, the itch and inflammation and bumps come back right away. Hyaluronic acid is pricey. Does anyone know of cheaper way to treat this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
It sounds like something very similar I had once as a child but mine was under my thumbnail and literally ate away almost half of my thumb. We went to a derm and found out it was a wart...he had to freeze it off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
never ever put a steroid on any infected skin including fungal infection as it will only aggravate it. Since yours improve with steroid, i don't think it is fungal infection. But it does not seems like eczema either. My advice, see a dermatologist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have to see a dermatologist. I was glad I did. I have had trouble with my nails ever since having acrylics years ago but when I stopped getting them done the nails were lifting off and never seemed to be right so I went to a Dermatologist thinking I had a fungal infection, he tested, and he said I have eczema and my nails would never be right. I have had eczema all my life and my nails never were pretty but not this bad, so I now have to live with them as they are. They crack and peal around the nails (especially winter). Water seems to be a no-no for my hands so I wear disposable neoprene gloves every time I have to wash dishes or clean. Steroids are only temporary cures. I even have pure Shea Butter and that creates a barrier and repells water somewhat but mix it with heavy hand cream/lotion for moisture. Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
its best you go to a doctor to get it checked out as there are various skin conditions that resemble eczema but in actual fact aren't.
x

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like Pompholyx. Need a full history and some pictures to make a definetive diagnosis though.

Dr.Sasi Attili
Consultant Tele-Dermatologist

·
Registered
199 Posts
baby time for a dr's visit, gooooooooooooooo today
and let us know.
write down ALL your symptoms and explain to him you need samples and something that works best for your skin type. good l,uck

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Please see a doctor AND a dermatologist and dont be afraid of getting a second opinion from another doctor/dermatologist, it's for your health! Please get that checked out and dont buy any topical ointments to put on it until you've been ok'd by the doctor/derm. It's imperative.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does it look like little bubbles under the skin or tapioca type appearance? If so you could have Pompholyx. I have had this condition for about 6 years and I can tell you it is miserable!! I have photos of the blisters and info on relief located on my website pompholyx.net please check it out as I believe you will find it very helpful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts