Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I only joined you all a few days ago and I love this forum!

Having 3 lovely children I don't get much time to read through all the posts but so far have noticed that Vitamin C serum, Retinol/RetinA and hyaluronic acid are talked about a lot here!

So, I've had a search around and found a seller on Ebay in UK who makes her own potions. I've bought a Vit C serum and a Vitamin A Night Cream. I have read on SCT that Vit C serum usually tingles when applied but I haven't noticed that with mine, do you think perhaps that it's not doing what it should? Also, will the Vitamin A cream work as an exfoliator or have I bought the wrong thing?! I can list the ingredients if that helps?

Thans You

-x-

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hello Everyone

I only joined you all a few days ago and I love this forum!

Having 3 lovely children I don't get much time to read through all the posts but so far have noticed that Vitamin C serum, Retinol/RetinA and hyaluronic acid are talked about a lot here!

So, I've had a search around and found a seller on Ebay in UK who makes her own potions. I've bought a Vit C serum and a Vitamin A Night Cream. I have read on SCT that Vit C serum usually tingles when applied but I haven't noticed that with mine, do you think perhaps that it's not doing what it should? Also, will the Vitamin A cream work as an exfoliator or have I bought the wrong thing?! I can list the ingredients if that helps?

Thans You

-x-
This site has great info. about the differences between retin-a and retinol as well as topical C info.
Topical Skin Rejuvenation Treatments

Yes could you list the ingredients for us. It needs to have at least 10% vitamin C. Ascorbic acid being the best form but a couple other forms still have benefits.
I can prettty much promise you that the vitamin A cream you bought will pale in comparison to retin-a.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link Periwinkle, it was very interesting. I'm completely new to all this so have lots to learn. My skin is sensitive to preservatives used in lots of creams so I've always used 'natural' creams, but recently have found that they're not enough and a need to step up a gear or five!

The Vit C ingredients are:- L-Ascorbic Acid (10%) Vit E Acetate, Ferulic Acid, Water, Rosewater, Glycerine, Grapeseed, Almond, Wheatgerm, Hazelnut, Evening Primrose, Lemongrass oils, Emulsifying wax, Cetyl Esters

The Vit A Night cream:- 1% Retinyl Palmitate, Water, Rosewater, Glycerine, MSM, Almond, Apricot, Rosehip, Camellia, Blackcurrant, Jojoba Oils, Emulsifying wax, Cetyl Esters

The label also says to keep them in the fridge.

This is the 3rd day I've been using them and my skin feels very soft already
I guess I should give these a fair go before swapping to something else just to see if I get an improvement that I'm happy with.

At the moment my skin looks like it needs a few layers to be removed iykwim?! Maybe I should have a mild peel, but to be honest I don't really know anything about them and the thought of the skin on my face peeling off terrifies me!

-x-

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Those ingredients look great to me!! As far as a peel goes. Some are in favor and others are not. As for myself. I am a huge in favor person. I think by doing a peel, even if it is a mild one, your skin will be able to penetrate products better. Therefore, having much better results!

And in my opinion, yes you really need a good 30 days to see if this new stuff is going to work for your skin.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Lisee,
What's important about vit C serums also is the pH. It has to be at or below 3.5 in order to penetrate the skin. It has to be applied 20 min after cleansing. Then you need to wait another 30 min at least before applying any other products. That's how C does its magic. Applied this way vit C IS an exfoliator AND antioxidant.

The retinyl palmitate might be a waste of your time: read this about retinols v. Retin-A. Big difference.
Reducing wrinkles with retinol and retinyl palmitate

If you can tolerate it, Retin-A will give you a bigger bang for your buck. Retin-A Micro 0.04% is very well tolerated and very powerful. Available from your Dr or online.

HTH and welcome.

Don't forget your SUNSCREEN!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Fawnie

I'm really impressed with my Vit C Serum and the Vit A cream so far! It might be only one of them or both of them that's having an effect but my skin looks sooooooooo much fresher in only one week of using them. Last week I looked as though I needed to remove about 10 layers of old skin from my face so I can't believe how quickly things have progressed

I've had a look around online for some Retin-A Micro 0.04% but could only find 0.1% which I guess would be way to strong. Do you know of anywhere I can buy this online in the UK or another similar product I can buy here please.

I've also been doing some facial exercises this week too and I'm impressed with how quickly you start to see results. This is something I will definitely keep doing to keep the jowls at bay!

Lisee
-x-

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Lisee as far as i know you need to see you GP to buy retin a here in UK, however though if you are going to be using retin a why not see how this goes before thinking about doing a peel!

Also you may want to try at home peels they are far cheeper than getting a proffesional one which are expensive here in Uk!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thanks for the info Fawnie

I'm really impressed with my Vit C Serum and the Vit A cream so far! It might be only one of them or both of them that's having an effect but my skin looks sooooooooo much fresher in only one week of using them. Last week I looked as though I needed to remove about 10 layers of old skin from my face so I can't believe how quickly things have progressed

I've had a look around online for some Retin-A Micro 0.04% but could only find 0.1% which I guess would be way to strong. Do you know of anywhere I can buy this online in the UK or another similar product I can buy here please.

Lisee
-x-
Glad to hear this Lisee!
I found RAM 0.04% at:
Buy Retin-A Micro Gel from Canada Drug Superstore

But 0.1% might not be too strong since it is a time-release formula. It depends on the condition of your skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Ok but am i correct to say though that with retin micro there is meant to be less irration so this is the better one to use or is it just a question of trial and error!

Just wondering cause i would like to find out how easy it would be for me to get this in the Uk, at least then i know exactly what im looking for!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks fawnie il see if i can get it here in the Uk first and go from there, i dont pay for my prescriptions so this will be cheapest way of me getting this, but il have to check this one out a bit i think!

Fawnie are you using retin a or retin micro?

Am i correct though to think that they will both give the same results on the skin though or am i wrong to say this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Fawnie then what would you recomend that i look for then?

Its all gets a bit confusing otherwise, at least this way i know exactly what i need to purchase, when im ready to move on to a retin product!

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Oh yeah was gonna do that anyway, just planning ahead cause the green cream is expensive and once i get to level 9 was thinking of changing to ret, so just trying to plan ahead with this as know this is not easy to get hold of in Uk!

Thanks thou

1 - 17 of 17 Posts