Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, i have a question. for the most part of my life i've been doing nothing more than washing my face with water and that has seemed to work for me. my face has been fairly decen and acne free. recently i've been washing with cetaphil cleanser, and moisturizing with cetaphil moisturizer. i began to notice red spots appearing. i didn't know what it was so i took a break from both..as i did my face cleared up. so i used the moisturizer only for a bit and noticed red spots appearing again. so i took a break then proceeded to do the same with the cleanser and the same pattern followed. i also noticed to see a 3rd fine line appear oddly enough only under my right eye. i stopped compleley using these products yesterday. i don't know if its a coicidence and that my skin is not used to these ingredients and i also feel a slight burn/itch in that very area under my eye. based on what i've researched cetaphil is a fine brand and produce products that dermatologists approve (not a big deal) but that consumers approve of also. i'm a little discouraged mainly because their products don't clog the pores. so if my skin doesn't agree with cetaphil, i don't even want to bother looking and wasting money on anything else..its a lot of hassle and frustration. so the question is can i go back to cleaning my face with water?

whats also being thrown into the equation is i will be using retin-a any day now..which i ordered 3 weeks ago and unfortuantely haven't received yet

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You really ned to find a cleanser you like and use it at least once a day. Nighttime being best. Hard to get off sunscreen and other prodcuts with just water.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Periwinkle is quite right. Perhaps you should check into something even milder and maybe a good facila brush- just a thought. I had really bad acnee and to not aggravate it further I used a facial brush as well as a mild baby soap. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cream cleanser (dry hands, dry face- water and oil don't mix and will not clean your face properly if used with water)
Toner or Tonic- alcohol free
Eye Cream
Moisturizer or Night Cream

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh and don't forget Eye Makeup Remover. The skin around your eye is 7x thinner than the rest of your face. Plus, it's the most abused and ages the fastest.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks
i knew it wasn't a good idea to just skiip out on using a cleanser in general...theres this cleansing gel that i've been using on and off for a short while that my sister brought from europe. i told her that i think i'm going to stop using it because its not "strong and high power" enough, and its to "no name' for me to have any interest in using..but actually i realized that my face always felt pretty fresh after cleansing with it..i'm glad i at least got a taste of the brand name products. this gel that my sister brought is italian its called omnia botanica gel detergente delicato..have no idea if anyones heard of it

i don't think i'll want to use a face brush anytime soon it makes me paranoid i'm scratching my skin..and my cetaphil moisturizer is basically a decoration in my room as of right now. i heard that moisturizers aren't as viital as most people get the impression they are so i'll probably end up giving it to my brother or something..thanks again

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just dont' get it..cetaphil was supposed to be good for my skin..it even says its anti-colpogmoogenic or whatever it is..non cloging..i don'' t like the way my face burned from it..its not retin--a so i discontinued its usage..ah well

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you were washing with just water and that worked, then why change that?

Stick with what works since there are no hard and fast rules as to what is good and what is bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea washing my face with water alone has almost always left me feeling crisp and refreshed..but what concerns me most is long term effects..like maybe because i'm not using a cleanser with powerful bacteria fighting ingredients, my skin will pay for it down the road..ah i'll figure out something

was wondering if someone can rate this sunscreen for me real quick..does this go well with retin-a?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Nope, you won't have any ill-effects. Think about it this way, if that were true than billions of people have don't have access to proper skin care products would have horrible skin, which isn't true.

Sometimes it's the other way around; all these chemicals and products that we use irritate the skin, cause allergic reactions, or damage the skin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my opinion, is that the skin care industry is overglamorized. when i first came to this forum i was overstimulated with all the material i've read and it lead me to spend a ton of time researching and become familiar with alll the available products out there.. now i'm just starting to believe that keeping it simple is not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
yea washing my face with water alone has almost always left me feeling crisp and refreshed..but what concerns me most is long term effects..like maybe because i'm not using a cleanser with powerful bacteria fighting ingredients, my skin will pay for it down the road..ah i'll figure out something

was wondering if someone can rate this sunscreen for me real quick..does this go well with retin-a?
That's a good sunscreen. I've used Ombrelle before.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi Mike,

I would advise you to stick to water if that is wat is working for you. Everybody's skin is different, so different things may work for many people. I would consider myself lucky if only water was working for me coz it would save me so much money which otherwise is being wasted in skincare products!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I find "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" to apply to many things in life. If you never had a problem with your skin washing your face with plain water, no need to buy anything. It's all I use in the mornings also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used to think that water alone was good enough- its all I used to do- rinse my face morning and night with cool water.

Then I went to Dermalogica and they did a skin analysis and told me how much dead skin was stuck on my face! At my (then aged 21) age it didn't matter too much to my skin overall as I never wore anything but eye make up (no moisturiser or SPF or skin make-up) and only ate fresh fruit and vegetables (I had anorexia at the time) but she let me know how wrinkles and fine lines can be formed:
It starts off with dead skin cells which are left on your skin. They become jammed into pores and the pores widen to be able to cope with them. As you go along, the pores widen so much that the skin becomes slack, lifeless and looks greyer. Then wrinkles start to appear.

I then began using skin care products. Soap and water. It did dry out my skin though and I got a collection of white dry skin patches on my face. So I swapped to an exfoliator and used that every day. My skin still remained patchy. I reduced this to three to four times a week and was bought (as a gift) Clinique extra mild facial wash and the white patches went away.

I also found that as I was cleansing properly, I was getting tight skin. I worry about tight skin as it makes me think of selophane streaching, who hasn't seen just how much selophane stretches when its tight? and does it shink back again? no! Seems like an instruction to create wrinkles so I apply moisturiser night and day now.

It sounds like a faff, but I have some rules:
1. I only buy skin care I feel enticed or posative about- this makes me want to use it every day and so I never forget. It does mean I spend more money on my skin care, but its better to do that and actually enjoy what I do then buy something I only use 3 times before giving up on.
2. Only chose skin care that does not worry me: animal testing, parabens, bad reviews all concern me. I research what I pay for as I do spend what feels like a lot. Again, I do not want an excuse to not use or waste my money.
3. I drink enough water every day: 3 or 4 litres is my current level- but I do excercise for 2 hours 4 days a week and 1 hour on saturday. I drink enough water and it makes my skin excellent. Same goes with eating well. It means I don't have to spend more money on brightening systems or many other skin problems.

If you find your getting spots with what your using, you may need to alter it and try different ranges. Your skin could be quite fickle and need you to start on sensitive skin ranges until it gets used to the fact that it does not have as many dead skin cells on it. Your skin is very fragile and if it feels there is a difference, it will try to alter itself to compensate for the difference, so once washed if its not used to being washed, may create excess oils. What you would need then in that respect is something very mild. Keep tabs on your skin, your needs will change with time. The only way you know is by watching the signs before they turn into spots, irritations or whatever else.

Once you start looking after your skin, and get over the 6 week "I can't be bothered with this anymore" mentality, (which does go away and you do get used to it) your skin will look alot better, trust me!

Since looking after my skin, my skin is a hell of alot brighter, feels so smooth- I never really had any spots in the past anyway, but my skin itself just feels baby soft- something it was never really before. It also feels less tight- easier to smile, and I don't get such an oily residue or white-head spots if I apply sun care cream which I did used to get.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mike,

Below is only my experience and have really good success as far as avoiding break outs, rashes.... & my skin is sensitive. Take anything that is of value and leave the remainder.

They could be worth looking at & both companies especially Aubrey are committed to clean, pure products & if u pm me I can give u a couple of other thoughts from the research I have done in the all natural produts arena. Aubrey from my research is the gold standard for the " health fanatical" who use skin care produts, shampoos...

I use a natural vegetable soap by South of France. I use their Almond or Shea Butter ones & they r much different than a lot of other items I have tried on the market.-here r the ingredients-(100% vegetable oils- palm, olive, shea butter, mineral pigment, and natural fragrance or essential oils.) That is it. I have had good success w/ this product but I also think there is a lot of value in listening to ur own body and emotions. I think it is great to collect the information and listening to others can be helpful as I am learning a lot already being here & am going to try two products but also at the end of the day I have found using ur own intuition is very, very important since every one's body responds different to different products and ppl will always have various views.

For sunscreen, u might want to check out a company called Aubrey and their physical sunblock. In fact, I would think they probably make a nice facial cleanser.

Best of luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jen very good info! I had no idea not washing your face could cause wrinkles. At first I read this thread and considered stopping washing my face because it seems to always dry mine out, but it's good to know I should continue

1 - 20 of 25 Posts