Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem that I have had for atleast the last 10 years! At a certain time of the year, usually around the first of August, til the end of December, my arms itch me so bad that it affects my sleep and my life in general. I have seen a Dr. which give me a rx for atarax and yes, that helps me, mainly sleep, but it does not get rid of this problem. I have lived with it for so long now, that I just expect it and stock up on anti itch creams and lotions and I also, take the atarax before I go to bed at night.There are also nights that I sleep with an ice pack on my arm(s) because it helps numb the itch some. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any suggestions that I can try to get rid of this pesky itch. It really affects my life and my doctor has no idea what we are dealing with. By the way, there is no rash that shows up except for red blood spots that show up under my skin after I have scratched excessively. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Is it something you are eating that time of year? Strawberries, tomatoes, oranges, etc?

Have you tried taking Benadryl?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys for the help! Yes, sun seems to make the itching worse, especially after I have had too much of it. I make sure that I wear a 50 spf or above and as far as the fruits a veggies, I have thought of that too and do wonder about tomatoes? However, there is no pattern that I can pinpoint. My theory right now is that when I get any tan at all, after too much exposure, there seems to be a buildup and that is when the itching begins. Therefore, that may be the reason that the itching lasts till about December, maybe that is how long it takes to rid my skin of any tan? Since it is so hard to detect the real reason, I have just resorted to taking the anti-itch meds (usually before bed, since they do make me sleepy). I have tried benadryl, but they knock me out worse than the atarax. I do, however, think that they help just as much as the atarax. It has been a real mystery that I have just come to deal with, but I am up for any suggestions. I will definately talk to my Doc concerning the drugs in the trial, thanks so much, you guys are great!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
If the sun and heat are triggers, maybe covering up and using a blocking agent with Titanium dioxide (reflects rather than absorbs the UV rays) might help.

Try treating it like prickly heat, even tho there is no visible rash.
Gold Bond powder could help also.
There is such a thing as a scratch/itch cycle. Scratching just makes it worse and sets up the cycle. Difficult not to, but try breaking the habit.

HTH and you get some relief! it's awful to be scratching like a hound all summer long.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts