Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, in the last year or 2 when i have been going on holiday and gettin slightly sunburnt (less than an hour in the sun) it will turn really prickly and itchy, i have been told that it could be 'prickly heat' :S i have always been fair skinned and dont tan very easily
i have another holiday booked for around 3 weeks from now does any1 have any ideas on how to help prevent this or even stop/sooth the itching if i get it again
?

i have tried piriton tablets/aloe vera gel and prickly heat lotion but none seem to help and the lotions seem to make it itch even more
any advice would be great
thanks alot

marc .

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
hi all, in the last year or 2 when i have been going on holiday and gettin slightly sunburnt (less than an hour in the sun) it will turn really prickly and itchy, i have been told that it could be 'prickly heat' :S i have always been fair skinned and dont tan very easily
i have another holiday booked for around 3 weeks from now does any1 have any ideas on how to help prevent this or even stop/sooth the itching if i get it again
?

i have tried piriton tablets/aloe vera gel and prickly heat lotion but none seem to help and the lotions seem to make it itch even more
any advice would be great
thanks alot

marc .
Maybe you got a little over heated and it is what they call prickly heat rash.

Heat Rash or Prickly Heat (Miliaria Rubra) Conditions, Treatment and Pictures for Parents - Overview - VisualDxHealth®
Prickly Heat Rash

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Marc--take a diohenydramine tablet 25mg before going in the sun and then when retiring from the sun you should apply a 1%hydrocortisone to any inflamed or itchy areas and take a cool shower. It is indeed likely it is miliaria rubra which is called a heat rash or prickly heat in laymens terms but if you do not treat it or if you have had repeated episodes, which it sounds as if you have, it can become miliaria profunda which can be very painful and burning or worse yet miliaria pustulosa (a bacterial infected rash which would require antibiotics). Keep the area clean, dry off as often as you can as sweat exacerbates this rash and take frequent dips in cool or salt water.

One small trick which few people know is that you can also put some anti-perspirant on the area that is affected and this should alleviate the sweat which can lessen any outbreak.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
sorry just to clarify my spelling error--diphenydramine not dio--it is also known as Benadryl and is available at Boots or Superdrug or any drugstore/pharmacy depending on where you live.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

You are in time to go to the local health store. You can buy B1 [Thiamin tablets and take them for a few weeks before your holiday. This is the advice I've been given in the UK. Hope it helps.

Best of luck,

redrose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts