Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd let you all know that I've stopped using the mono 20%. This decision had absolutely nothing to do with the horror stories & urban legends. Over in the lip lightening thread, people are repeating all sorts of unsubstantiated stories about mono 'turning lips white'. IMPOSSIBLE: the skin on the lips is not the same as the skin elsewhere on the body. As it lightens, it goes into the pink & red shades due to the rich blood supply beneath the thin skin.

Over the 2 months that I used mono 20%, nothing negative whatsoever transpired. No scary white patches, no pinto pony blotches & NO mono does NOT cause vitiligo so please, guys; do not repeat this nonsense. Go to the research & find facts.

I stopped because, during the course of my researching (google scholar & medical dermatological peer reviewed journals ONLY) I discovered compelling evidence that the depigmentation of dark skin CAN be achieved with between 10%-25% HQ & in many cases, results are permanent as can happen with mono20%! Research on 'age spots' or freckles or melasma in Caucasian & Asian skins is all but useless to people with skin in the dark range of the Fitz. IV-the very dark Fitz. VI. I wanted info relevant to darker skin like I had before beginning to lighten (Fitz V mid-range). Since I can obtain reliable 100% authentic HQ for a song (really cheaply from a source 15 mins away!) I figured it wasn't cost effective to pay for mono.

BTW, I DID share research on lighter skins too because many people here are in the fairer ranges & deserve reliable info too.

Using a compound I've mixed myself (as I mentioned in other threads) I am experimenting (so far, so good!) with a home made blend. I am still using the RA 0.1% as an exfoliant & collagen builder & I've added (as suggested by Goddessofearth). So many people were pming me about this that I figured a general reply was a good idea. Plus, I began seeing the 'urban legend fairy' rear her misleading head.

This post is getting long so I'll stop here but I DO have more to say that I'll share in future posts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's good you did come to the forum with an update, when I saw your thread I was thinking dang the both of us have made a decision to stop something..lol. Well, I hope you have good results with what you are embarking upon now. If you read my thread, I've listed my reasons for discontinuing with the HQ/Retin. I believe I should have spent much more time researching and gaining "ALL" of the relevant information I needed before jumping into it. I regret that I didn't, and now I have painful skin that I have to wait to heal, oh I forgot I have painful annnndddd peeling skin that I am left with until this all blows over. Oh well, such as life I suppose! I will more than likely try something else later on down the future, but at the recommend of a trusted & respected dermatologist. Good Luck to you Ondine

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I DID go read & respond to your interesting thread. Every skin is unique & nothing is for everyone. I'm glad you had the good sense to STOP! What happened to you happened to me with the so-called 'gentle' Ivory soap! Go figure: & those Dove bodywashes make me so itchy & rashy that I nearly go nuts! BUT I have no problems at all with RA.
what are you going to do

We all work with what we've got. Heal fast & heal well. THEN try something else. I hope you are not giving up!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm happy that you can achieve what you want for a lot less money Ondine. I'm really excited about this stuff. it is really revealing that HQ can give us permanent result.

·
Registered
670 Posts
"I am still using the RA 0.1% as an exfoliant & collagen builder & I've added (as suggested by Goddessofearth)."

??

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OOPS
! I've added the St. Ives scrub
. I think it was you who first touted this product. I must say I was NOT disappointed!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Oh! Yay!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm happy that you can achieve what you want for a lot less money Ondine. I'm really excited about this stuff. it is really revealing that HQ can give us permanent result.
I just noticed this and this is so true! They try to charge us hundreds for what costs them pennies. I know they have to make a profit, but
. This knowledge I'm learning is make me want to go back in time with what I know now!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are so many mediocre to terrible products out there accompanied by outrageous claims. Think of all the money they've siphoned out of people. The ones that really irk me are those that prey on desperate people by insinuating that they are 'ugly' & all their life's problems are due to their dark skin. Buy their cream, lighten your skin & you'll never have problems again! Not only that, you'll be rich,famous & snag a rich guy!....RIGHT!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I finally received HQ, Retin A and Mono all today from ADC and Fairnglow respectively. Its been about two and a half weeks since I placed my order and it was a long wait indeed. In the meantime, as part of my regimen, I received and have been using Likas Papaya soap. I've posted my feedback on this in "Soaps/Exfoliants for your lightening". Other thing I've tried (due to time constraint) is research.

Firstly, my impression on the orders I've received. Nothing unusual looking about the HQ and Retin packaging and product. Will start using them tomorrow though I've punctured the nozzles of both just to have a look. The HQ cream has a familiar smell. Suppose this is because I've used creams containing HQ in the past. I'm not sure how I'll find the Retin A gel as I used cream of the same strength, 0.1%, early this year.

The Mono, whoaaa! Are those tiny jars or what?? In fact the smallest cream jars I've had. Now, the seller explained that the repackaging was done for reasons to do with customs, fair and good for us but I question the standard. How many grams should one jar weigh for example? If I were to measure, I wonder if I'll find that all jars (I bought five) contain same quantity. I've not started using Mono, will start tomorrow too but I don't think I will order again. My reasons are:

1. Not cost effective
2. HQ can give the same results/depigment, I'm glad you've noted this Ondine because discovered this too, after I had ordered Mono.

Yes HQ can depigment. In an article "Biologic effects of exposure - Dermal Effects", though old but worth noting, dermal depigmentation effects by HQ were studied and noted. In summary, several tests were carried out and where a higher percentage of HQ cream was used, there was likelihood of irritation but there's no mention of what compositions were in this cream. These tests were carried out half a century ago, so there is likelihood of lack of information on how they would have to combatted irritation of HQ at the time. I'm not trying to downplay the side effects of HQ, which can be avoided, but emphasize that HQ can indeed dipigment. Having said this, read and still reading, I'm yet to find a comfortable compounding recipe for HQ. I don't want to rush as I'll be handling chemicals, neither do I want to wait, a balancing act I have to apply I suppose. Someone suggested I pm Ninasky, been intent on doing this anyway but want/ed to have some background information first before jumping on to mix chemicals. I need to know what I'm handling, what compositions go best with which and importantly what benefits will a certain compositions be for my skin. In the meantime, Ondine and Ninasky please pm your recipes and if possible make a detailed post on this as I've noted you talk about compounding but no mention of how you go about it, perhaps its not allowed to post chemical handling procedures? Will pm a request if you miss reading this post.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll gladly pm you, but the details HAVE been posted in more than one place. Are you sure you did a thorough search?

·
Registered
78 Posts
littleerin,

I got my order in exactly a week! Did your package say 'opened for inspection by customs as well' ? Well mine did and still got everything intact. Amazing! Anyway I have been getting on well with RA (apart from excessive peeling). Let us know how you get on!

Good Luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mono is a chalky paste indeed. Firstly, I attempted on a small area, applying on wet skin but I was too wet to spread the Mono. I washed the cream off. I then just covered myself with a towel to soak some water on my body and proceeded to apply Mono, I was not moist enough. I put some water in a container and would pat the water in it lightly after scooping some Mono to help distribute it on my skin. This worked better but not best. I lastly made an application on my face. After a minute or so, I felt a tingly sensation on my face that made me feel somewhat irritated and wanting to massage, lightly scratch the affected area. I used damp cotton wool to try wipe Mono off from the affected area, around the mouth but didn't improve the situation so as time went on, I couldn't take it anymore and I've just washed my face. This was just under 10 minutes.

Because I may be too wet if don't dry up after a shower and too dry for Mono application if I attempt to dry a little, I was thinking about how to make it spreadable when I was applying it. Ondine, I read you would use a damp cloth to wet the skin, area at a time, to apply Mono. Frankly, I think that is time consuming. So is Mono's efficacy affected when exposed to air as is the case with HQ? If not, I'm blending it with a little lotion and put the blend in a lotion bottle. Because of what I've experienced on my face and to see if the Mono i received really works, I'm thinking of using it on my body only and the HQ+Retin A combo on my face. I'm thinking of doing this till the Mono rans out - and I don't intend to order more - and see if I'll achieve any lightening. If I use HQ+Retin combo alternate with the Mono, I'll have no way of knowing if the latter lightens. So I'm thinking of trying this as an experiment. Besides, the jars are small enough to use up quickly.

What consistency do you get when you combine HQ+Retin A(gel)? Is it on the viscous, middle or runny side?

·
Registered
117 Posts
littleerin,

I got my order in exactly a week! Did your package say 'opened for inspection by customs as well' ? Well mine did and still got everything intact. Amazing! Anyway I have been getting on well with RA (apart from excessive peeling). Let us know how you get on!

Good Luck
Janneha, thanks for your feedback. Are you referring to HQ+Retin A or Mono, that is, what you received in a week? My HQ+Retin A parcel seemed unopened but the Mono package was opened for inspection and resealed, all intact. Will start on my HQ+Retin A combo this evening. Will give you feedback. That was fast shipping. My delay could be in part due to wrong delivery+failed attempted delivery for HQ+Retin A and failed attempted delivery for Mono. Unaware of this and compelled to find out when I thought the deliveries were taking long, I discovered they were being held and arranged redelivery. Ah, well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
thats what i want to know ive looked for hours on the net.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ondine I'm happy you stopped. I still disagree with you about the side effects of mono. Mono may not give you vitiligo but it will certainly induce the visible symptoms of vitiligo. I have seen it first hand on a friend. she was about Mariah careys color but wanted to be lighter than that with mono and loe and behold one of the white spots created after 5 months of mono use was right above the right corner of her mouth and a small portion of her mouth. AND IT WAS WHITE!!! So true this probably wont happen to everyone but my theory of beauty products is why try it if there is even a possibility. She uses dermablend to cover it up now and now just using hq.

Regardless if the skin on your lips are different. It still has pigment and mono still travels. But anywho, ondine when you say " depigment" do you mean lighten or do you want to be almost white. Are you looking for a Gina from martin shade or a rihanna shade ( although I've seen righanna as light as gina) so lets say a beyonce shade? Will hq at these stregnth surpass even rihannas color for a level IV person?

What stregnth what be needed to maintain this color?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not that much lighter from Rihanna now. I like the golden 'hispanic' skin tones. As to how light I'll go, I haven't set a definite specific shade goal. I want to lighten until I think I look my best & then maintain that colour. I do not want to depigment to completely white. It would suit my facial features, but i do not want chalk white legs. I don't know who 'gina from martin' is. HQ can cause dramatic lightening but it must be used persistently & consistantly. As for a strength to lightening ratio, a good general rule is the darker your skin, the higher the strength will be required to lighten.

·
Registered
265 Posts
you never watch martin?? lol what a funny show

Her color is like the rihanna at her lightest. Not right now. I know the higher stregnths will darken but I wanted to know what you meant when you said 10-15% concentrations can "depigment" darker skin. Do you mean just lighten are you mean like drastic lightening results?

Maybe I cant type what I'm thinking, do you know what I mean though? I will follow you through you journey at this stregnth. i'm a little nervous about getting too light with this stregnth but curious at the implication of maybe having longer lasting results with less maintanence

1 - 20 of 43 Posts