Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have talked me into it: I'm taking the 50% glycolic acid plunge. Any tips
(besides brushing up on my curse words & keeping a fan handy). What should I expect immediately after applying it, then after neutralizing or rincing it off ? What happens over the first few days? Thanks!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Hooray!!! Oh don't worry too much, you will be fine.

1-A nice bath
2-glass of wine
3-a portable fan
4-and a kid free home, so you can cuss like a sailor!

that is all you will need-

You will love what it does for your skin tone. It will make it smooth and leave a healthy glow. Think of it as a super duper exfoliation, that is all.

When do you plan on doing this?

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
You got the percentage right! Thats the right percentage for bleaching, well according to some reports I read on google, they combined 50% glycolic + 4% hydroquinone in a chemical peel and did 3 or 4 peels between 6 weeks, the patients dark spots, sun damage, and imperfections were gone after the 3rd peel. The fan is good, when I did hte 40% glycolic, I kept it on for 2 minutes then rinsed it off with baking soda/water solution, the first few days you skin will be SOOOO tight that it will be very difficult for you to talk as you normally would, and your skin will look crinkly and leathery because the dead skin cells are loosening up, on the 4th or 5th day it starts peeling, full results at 7 days. IT is important to note, to not use a cleanser like likas soap or anything till you are done peeling and back to normal.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
YEAH! make that 2 glasses of wine and an industrial fan. It does sting like ants in a itchy kind of way. If you really feel a serious burning and your face gets really red wash it off. This happened to me after being on the RA for a while. It ended up burning me in a couple of spots. I was just SO sensitive from the RA. Test a spot first and see what happens. I had been using this stuff for 2 years and that NEVER had happened before.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Oh and as LnL stated the first time just go with 2 minutes! One if it is truly uncomfortable.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Ya ondine, I think if i were you I would cut back on my RA use for a few days or even a week prior to doing this. I know you are a HQ and RA user, so just keep this in mind, and be very careful.

Really if you can't stand the burn rinse it off. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Professional Dermatologists state before that you should cease RA or any other exfoliants including HQ/SW(in high concentrations it is an exfoliant) a week prior to your procedure and then not use anything for a week and a half. However, the only exception is that you may use a light vitamin/antioxidant serum or moisturizer after the peel or a Hyaluronic Serum b/c they will help the skin peel nicely.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Professional Dermatologists state before that you should cease RA or any other exfoliants including HQ/SW(in high concentrations it is an exfoliant) a week prior to your procedure and then not use anything for a week and a half.
Yep I always stop my RA use a week before and wait a good 3-4 weeks after to use it again. I am always pretty cautious with the RA use. Afterall it is your face and you only get one chance to make it or break it.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Sometimes just plain aloe vera feels great after this peel, very soothing takes a lot of the burn and sting out.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
thats true too! you know what I use aloe vera for? I have been using pure aloe vera for a year as a hair gel/hold, it acts just like any other hair product, doesnt leave any vestige of you having anything on your hair, looks very natural and is good for you. Not to mention, it costs 3 bucks at the local drugstore for a 6 ounce which lasts 6 months.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
thats true too! you know what I use aloe vera for? I have been using pure aloe vera for a year as a hair gel/hold, it acts just like any other hair product, doesnt leave any vestige of you having anything on your hair, looks very natural and is good for you. Not to mention, it costs 3 bucks at the local drugstore for a 6 ounce which lasts 6 months.
Great idea on the aloe for hair gel. How is the hold?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
the hold is absolutely great, no problems whatsoever, and after continued use you hair becomes a thicker adn coarser with great body so ur style retains.
Awesome I will have to get some and make the boys (cough cough) I mean men in the house give this a try. Sounds like a great idea considering the price of hair products these days!!

We only have room for one high maintenance person over here-

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Unless I am an elephant I do not find glycolic a big deal at ANY strength. It itches like hell and I have left 65% on for 25 minutes, no biggie if you can deal with the itching. It will irritate some but it does not go deeper than the outermost layers really so no permanent changes are achieved, just a deep exfoliation. I confirmed this with a friend who is a dermatologist. I keep 65% around just to do an exfoliation in the future now and then. I think if anything the retin-a will be beneficial for two reasons, one it has thinned the epidermis for one so you will get more layers, two it has increased dermal turnover so you will get new skin quicker. I would continue with it.

PS LNL thought you left me forever

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys soo much! I stopped using RA as of last night so if the product arrives on Mon, I can use it on Tue. I like the fact that I don't have to leave it on for > 2mins. As for booting out my kids, the baby is 18 & the oldest one is 20 so I can probably get some 'cuss-like-a-longshoreman-who-dropped-a-crate-of-anvils-on-his-toe' tips from them
. But then again, we innocent & angelic moms have an image to uphold
! Thank god you guys let me know about the RA 'thing' or I could've skinned myself alive (& had a heck of a lot of explaining to give to the ambulance technicians!
). I also hadn't factored in 'down time' since the only GA product I'd tried was a peel kit from Neo Strata & there was no down time required. Now, I'll time it so days 3-5 are days where I don't have to go anywhere. I recall a post some months ago in skin lightening by some person who was using GA 70% weekly B4 showering as an accompaniment to lightening cream. That seemed extreme & high risk to me but knowing little factually re GA, I didn't say anything. How often would you guys say it is safe to use GA50%

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
You could do it once a week if you stop the RA. I would not do both no way! Or you could do it every other week. At first I did it once a week for 6 weeks then every other week to a once a month maintenance thing but with RA I gave the GA up for now. Unless I get really dull then I use it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Like Lexi, I sometimes get the itchies. Right before the peelies. Big. Time.

And then I go crazees. Cannot scratch!! But I do softly, ever so lightly rub a soothing cream or lotion here and there. Nothing with oil. Mostly aloe.
The bright red face is all shiny and new ready for a tinted moisturized and some mineral cover-up here and there. But I do feel raw for a week. (if not immobile for the first two-three days post peel. if i DO smile tiny fissures appear at mouth)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh and I fimd showering so hard! It is like you are rolling skin off if you stand there too long!
I avoid letting the spray hit my face right after a peel. Kind of stings again.
But I love the way things swell just a little. The red is a bit much but the little bit of puffiness texture to the skin makes some of the fine lines disappear.
That's IT!!
Just be in a constant state of swelling.
(smilie added since it was pink)

Good Luck to you ondine. Can't wait to hear out it goes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts