Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive started my regime people! im alittle nervous with it and feeling skeptical about the results.. and what if it all goes horribly wrong

My regime consists of RA 0.05% cream and melalite 4% HQ formula from ADC

Ok so i was supposed to be using 0.025% RA but i ordered the gel instead of the cream sumhow.. and at the moment with my skin being quite dry and sensitive i didnt think it would be wise for me to use a gel?? so im trying out the 0.05% cream with the Melalite instead...??

Today is day 2 of my regime..

1st day i did not notice much from the RA 0.05%.. very slight flaking.. which olive oil got rid of pretty well

Day 2- my face was slightly more flaky and alittle red and sore.. so is this normal?? Will aloe vera lotion help calm this??

At the mo, the cleanser im using is skin brightening cleanser from Botanicals?

facial wash im using is witch hazel and tea tree oil- which helped get rid of acne that i had in the past?

moisturizer im using is E45 ?

and UVA N UVB protection im using is Garnier Ambre Solaire SPF 30

So people any advice on how i can better my regime would be appreciated greatfully

Also I have purchased the SkinCeuticals C E Feurlic.. where can i fit this in with my regime??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'd try a more gentle cleanser. The astringent cleanser along with skin sensitized by RA might be overkill. The aloe vera gel is a good idea & it works for many people. With the RA, begin using it every other night only. Use a pea sized amt for the entire face & wait 20 mins after cleansing to apply it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Omg ondine u r so right it did overkill!!
i just washed my face with the witch hazel n tea tree n it stung!
which cleanser do u recommend i purchase??

I noticed more peeling after my shower and applied olive oil to smooth it out??
which i think is working well actually

also should i apply the aloe vera after applying the olive oil to reduce the erythema?? and how long after should i apply the melalite 4% HQ??

Thanks for the tip on using the RA every other night.. i shall be doing that

Sorry about all the questions .. i just want to do this in the best way possible and avoid any turmoil!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HELP!!

Day 3- my face felt sore this morning, i also had flaking on some parts of my face and that is without the use of RA last night.. and a slight use of HQ on the areas which wernt inflamed.. it calms down after i apply olive oil and moisturize??

Ive also noticed darker patches in the area of inflamation.. around my lips and going up to my cheek

what can i use to get rid of and prevent this ??

Any advice?? Is this normal or should i discontinue use??

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Sweetness,

This seems to have gotten lost down the bottom. I'll bump it up for you so you get some more advice. I'm not too sure about the darker areas you are talking about but it could just look that way because the RA is making it redder. My face was an absolute mess the first week or two and it DOES settle down. Have a good read of the Master Sources/Info/How To thread under Ondine's signature for lots more information about what you're going through, but it all sounds fairly normal to me. You will flake for a day or two even without RA as it is still in your skin. I think probably give your skin a rest for a few days and then start again but perhaps with half the amount of RA for a little while, and like Ondine suggested, only every other night, or even every third night to start with. Your skin should gradually build up a tolerance.

I did stop this regime as it didn't work for me, but don't let this discourage you as it DOES work for most people and probably didn't work for me as I'm fair caucasian.

Hang in there, it really does get better

Any more advice, anyone?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Karen

Thanx so much for your reply.. yes your right the darker areas appeared dark due to the reddness and thankfully theyve calmed down. From all ive read the reddening does seem to be normal, but is the skin feeling over heated also normal? will that also calm down??

I have given my skin a break and thought id let it settle before i apply RA again.. and yes i think i will try the 0.025% in stead of the 0.05%. I shall use the RA once a week to start with and up the game once my skin can tolerate the RA

If however it does not, any suggestions on other options to replace the RA?

Yes defo will read through the link in ondines sig

Thanks again

Sweetness

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
A good gentle cleanser is Spectro-Jel for sensitive skin. Cetaphil os good too. It is easy to underestimate just how strong RA is. Introducing the skin to it carefully is important. At first, begin with the lowest strength: 0.025%. After this becomes well tolerated, move up to 0.05%. This may be as high as you need to go to get good results. The dark (kind of dry & hard like scotch tape are from overexfoliation. You have to allow yr skin to heal & then reintroduce RA. Please click on the link in my signature & scroll to the thread on Rhetinoids. Read it all carefully. It includes info on 'buffering' a technique that would render RA more effective & well tolerated for many people who are using it & are disappointed. Most people cannot begin with RA by popping it on straight from the tube first time around. I knew nothing of this when I began either! Please don't skip this step.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Karen

Thanx so much for your reply.. yes your right the darker areas appeared dark due to the reddness and thankfully theyve calmed down. From all ive read the reddening does seem to be normal, but is the skin feeling over heated also normal? will that also calm down??

I have given my skin a break and thought id let it settle before i apply RA again.. and yes i think i will try the 0.025% in stead of the 0.05%. I shall use the RA once a week to start with and up the game once my skin can tolerate the RA

If however it does not, any suggestions on other options to replace the RA?

Yes defo will read through the link in ondines sig

Thanks again

Sweetness
No problem, Sweetness! In addition to Ondine's always fantastic advice, re the overheating. Yes!! My face felt like it was on fire a lot for the first week or two and tomato red! I was even taking paracetemol/ibuprofen to cool it down on the worst days (that works).

The other thing I just tried last night, on reintroducing RA (because I miss the good bits), was a very thin layer of hydrocortisone cream over my entire face after putting on my HQ/RA mix. My face instantly felt calm and this morning feels really soft! You could try that on your worst days too.

Hang in there as for nearly everyone, it DOES get much better

·
Registered
208 Posts
The other thing I just tried last night, on reintroducing RA (because I miss the good bits), was a very thin layer of hydrocortisone cream over my entire face after putting on my HQ/RA mix. My face instantly felt calm and this morning feels really soft! You could try that on your worst days too.

Hang in there as for nearly everyone, it DOES get much better
Excellent news! You are becoming quite confident in your own knowlege; as well as creative and inventive. Good job. Way to go!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The flaking and reddness is normal... you have to build up to daily or even every other day use with retinoids. I typically suggest RA use 3x for the first week, then every other night- then finally every night. In the beginning, if you use RA daily, you will basically be giving yourself a 'mini' peel. If you wait too long between applications, your skin will likely continue to react the way it has been- it's ok to be a little aggressive!

Try using the C E Ferulic on your 'off nights' from the RA- and then start to layer them--make sure you are layering thin to thick.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The flaking and reddness is normal... you have to build up to daily or even every other day use with retinoids. I typically suggest RA use 3x for the first week, then every other night- then finally every night. In the beginning, if you use RA daily, you will basically be giving yourself a 'mini' peel. If you wait too long between applications, your skin will likely continue to react the way it has been- it's ok to be a little aggressive!

Try using the C E Ferulic on your 'off nights' from the RA- and then start to layer them--make sure you are layering thin to thick.
Thanks kanderson! Great advice and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi and thankyou ALL for your great and much appreciated advice

So from all the great advice, i have bought myself a gentle cleanser and Eucerin replenishing face cream and am using that as a moisturizer.

So it took a couple of days for my skin to settle and heal, but once it was fully settled i went bck to my reigime but this time using the lower strength of RA 0.025% and buffered it slightly so it does not irritate my skin again .. AND IT WORKED!
I have been using the RA every night as my skin was taking it well and am gettin slight flaking. But sometimes more is better right
Do you guys think i should slowly start reducing the buffering and maybe start using the RA straight on the skin??

As for the HQ i have only been using it at night and my Skinceuticals C E Feurlic in the morning as i dont want to lighten incredibly just around a shade or 2 and acheive the same tone all round, Have not seen much effect thus far.. any tips?

Also once i acheive my desired look and to keep the look i was wondering if any1 has any reccomendations on what i could switch the HQ with? as i dont realy want to be using HQ long term but just for as long as i need to

Once again thankyou all and please do correct me if im doing anything wrong or could do anything better

Sweetness

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Sweetness, congratulations on sticking to the regime, and getting through the dreaded first weeks. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. You could probably start reducing the buffering now. Just take it slowly and see how you go.

I would definitely use HQ in the day, too. Just put it on first, wait ten minutes and apply your Vit C serum. I don't think you'll lighten too much. If you find you do, then you can cut back. I really think you need to use HQ morning and night to see any sort of difference.

To maintain once you reach your goal, you could cut back your HQ to a couple of times a week but still continue your RA and Vit C serum, which would probably be the simplest, or you could switch to a HQ free alternative. I used Meladerm for three months before switching to HQ/RA, and it did work but just didn't achieve the dramatic lightening I am after, but it could be a good alternative for you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
U SHOULDNT USE HQ DURING THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the first 4 weeks, just use RA gel once a week. This stuff is strong, no need to overdue it, you will produce the same results

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think almost all of us here use HQ during the day. As long as you use a GOOD sunblock, you will be fine. I used HQ years ago only at night for months and saw no difference. You need to have it in your skin 24 hrs a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts