Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the active ingredient I need to look for Peri? I tell you sunscreens confuse the hell outta me. But I am in great need. I work outside a lot. Yesterday I was on the tractor for hours. I need something that will stand up too the humid sunny south. I don't live to far from you Peri.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops I see the list of actives on the link you provided. Just finding them all in one sunscreen may be difficult that is an economical one, but I am willing to pay the price to protect my skin honestly. I thought maybe this one ( Jason ) might be a choice I could do.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Oops I see the list of actives on the link you provided. Just finding them all in one sunscreen may be difficult that is an economical one, but I am willing to pay the price to protect my skin honestly. I thought maybe this one ( Jason ) might be a choice I could do.
Are you wearing a wide brim hat outside?? Like at least 5 inches on all sides???

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You bet I am Peri AND huge sunglasses I look like an alien bug in a hat on my tractor. I have the sunscreen made for babies with a SPF 50 but I felt the sun was still getting to my arms. Which are so sun damaged now it isn't funny at all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've heard reviews that Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide based sunscreens are better at protecting. I just bought Clinique City Sheers SPF 25, the only spf ingredients are the Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. You can also find a "mineral only" sunscreen at any drugstore, they are normally listed for babies. Just try to find the highest amount of zinc possible.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
SPF refers to UVB = burning rays. You need to look for the PPD (UVA = ageing rays) protection too. THIS explains it better than I can.

Usually only the Euro and Asian brands address the PPD ratings.
Neutrogena has an ingredient called Helioplex that is supposed to extend the UV protection too but it's nothing more than stabilized avobenzone and oxybenzene. Not all of the Neutrogena sunscreens contain Helioplex though - you have to read labels!! It's a good choice if you don't want to spend the money for the much better Euro ones.

Sunscreen: Helioplex vs Mexoryl | Viva Woman

Believe me, sunscreen is not something you want to scrimp on! "You pay for it now or you pay for it later" UVA damage = wrinkles, splotchy and sagging skin. Get the best you can afford!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Believe me, sunscreen is not something you want to scrimp on! "You pay for it now or you pay for it later" UVA damage = wrinkles, splotchy and sagging skin. Get the best you can afford!

I agree. You should NOT scrimp on sunscreen. We can make our own Vitamin C serum & use our special TCA peels and be frugal but we need to make sure we keep our healthy new skin protected from the sun. So use the money you save on serums and moisturizers and spend it on sunblock. I use La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL on my face & body.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I've heard reviews that Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide based sunscreens are better at protecting. I just bought Clinique City Sheers SPF 25, the only spf ingredients are the Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. You can also find a "mineral only" sunscreen at any drugstore, they are normally listed for babies. Just try to find the highest amount of zinc possible.
Physical SS are about all that some ppl can tolerate, but they don't provide the high PPD needed for protection against UVA (ageing) rays. Most of them only provide from 4-8 PPD....pretty wimpy. 20-35 is better, but can only be provided by chemical or chemical/physical SS like Avene Emulsion orange tube or Bioderma Photoderma MAX.

http://www.makeupalley.com/account/v...reens#physical

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do agree, that I shouldn't scrimp on the SS, just looking for the best for the $$$ I will be out soon and need to decide on something. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been happy with the Botox Alternative so far. I really need some as non oily as possible as my skin gets really shiny during the day.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Botox Alternative SPF30 - Botox Alternative SPF30 Our anti-aging SPF 30 formula contains high...*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

I don't see the % of Zinc Oxide in that product. Even if it was as high as 18% the PPD would only be 4-8, not high enough to prevent UVA damage if you were out all day.

This one is great for oily skin:
http://www.skincarecentral.biz/suncr...a-AKN-MAT.html

The better you protect your skin now from UV rays the less you will spend later TRYING to undo the damage - there really is no good treatment for undoing UV damage!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

I agree. You should NOT scrimp on sunscreen. We can make our own Vitamin C serum & use our special TCA peels and be frugal but we need to make sure we keep our healthy new skin protected from the sun. So use the money you save on serums and moisturizers and spend it on sunblock. I use La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL on my face & body.
VERY VERY true. Excellent post. You would not paint your mansion with crayons now would you.
.......It is possible with a little research to be frugal even buying the better sunscreens. Ebay is a good option.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks the Bioderma for oily skin may be what I need. It seems most SS makes my skin even oilier and by the end of the day I look like an oil spill. I will try the Bioderma.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Upon further research LEGUIDESANTE gets you with shipping.

·
Registered
316 Posts
All sunscreens make my face burn and itch within 30 minutes of applying, usually when I leave the house. Does anyone know why this would happen? Even the Clinique I just bought does this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts