Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been jogging 4-5 miles for about 9 months now. Maybe 3-4 times a week MAX. Sometimes my knees ache at night or while jogging- not always. I am maybe 8-10 pounds overweight, if that. Why does this happen? Is this going to prevent me from doing this regularly or from going farther? Anyone have any advice?
Freddy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can offer some completely NON-expert advice- based on personal experience with funky knees, advice from a great trainer, and one visit to a knee doc...

Knee pain is very common with all types of exercise- but especially jogging. You may just need to ice your knees after running, take some ibuprofen, or make sure your shoes are supportive and in good shape.

Still, you are right to take it seriously- because it could be something more serious that could lead to damage of the joints. Jogging outside on hard pavement or uneven surfaces will be hard on anyone's knees. If you are on a treadmill- then you might have something more to deal with.

Look into your hip-knee-ankle alignment-
-Do you stand with your toes turned out or in?
-When you stand with feet parallel and bend your knees- do they go straight over second and third toes?

Problems with the hip-knee-ankle joints are often caused by foot issues. Over-pronation
and under-pronation are the big ones- and it is usually knee pain that first brings it to peoples attention.

Look up hip-ankle-knee, over-pronation, and under-pronation to see some illustrations and decide if this might fit you. If you thinks so- I can tell you the things I did to correct mine... it could very well be something simple.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
How old are you if you dont mind me asking?
Do you take Glucosamine?
Consider adding a mini trampoline to your routine. Much less stress on the joints
and a really great aerobic work-out. Jog in place.....jog with kneees high.......
many variations you could do. They are pretty cheap at wal-mart.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old are you if you dont mind me asking?
Do you take Glucosamine?
Consider adding a mini trampoline to your routine. Much less stress on the joints
and a really great aerobic work-out. Jog in place.....jog with kneees high.......
many variations you could do. They are pretty cheap at wal-mart.
I'm almost 39. I'm not new to exercise. For about 11 years I have been doing tae-bo and step aerobics. I always hated jogging because of that winded feeling I would get so quickly. Not any more. YAY! Because I am usually so inactive otherwise, I really need a high intensity, calorie burning workout like jogging. nothing ever worked like jogging. Helped reduce the cellulite a lot. I couldnt believe it.

I went to a natural hygiene lecture years ago and the guy (Christpher D'Orta)said that "rebounding" trampoline workout is one of the best anti-aging, life
pro-longing workout one can do. I forget why though.

I will look into glucosamine too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Diva, my bf has started to do trampoline about 2 months ago, and he lost his "love handles" and 5 minutes of trampoline is like 20 minutes of jogging. He only does 5 min./ morning and 5 min./evening every day, and he loves it! He doesn't find it strenious.
He paid $40 at WalMart, but if you are over 200 lbs, this one is not for you.

It's also good for the lymphatic system and he read it's a cure for cancer. I used to do aerobic 10 min. 3x a week and it really got one knee with pain. So I took glucosamine, liquid at first for one month 'cause it's more effective, but more expensive and the pain was gone after 3 weeks and now I take the capsules. Needless to say I have stopped the aerobic and planning to get the trampoline.

You could also go for Reiki treatments for the pain, but if you keep jogging, it will be useless.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Trampoline? Sounds like fun! With my hula hoop on my trampoline I could really burn those calories!

Yes, jogging is no good for the knees. Eventually it causes wear and tear on the cartilage, which I suspect is happening to you now. Quit while you still are ahead and switch to a low-impact exercise: biking, swimming.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I used to run in high school - on the track team; I used to jog in college and thereafter - long distances. Then my knees just started to bother me and I could no longer run. I got concerned when I was working and going to school in NYC - I was roaming around the city, alone, at all hours of the day and night. I realized that if I were in danger, I would not be able to run away.

I started taking glucosamine and can say that I no longer have any pain or discomfort. Unfortunately, in my case, I still do not have enough flexibility (or mobility or agility or whatever) in my knees to be able to run. It just feels too stiff and at times almost frozen. I started taking collagen #2 a month ago to see if that will help. I want to avoid a knee operation if I can.

There are plenty of low-impact exercises that I can still do - the elliptical machine is my favorite, as well as the bicycle. But I miss the ability to run outside in the fresh air especially in the early AM.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by fawnie

ah mireckca, now you know how old dogs feel! hehehehhe But you can still lie on your belly in the sun and dream of chasing cars!

Believe me, I do! Did you every see a dog sleeping with all of his legs going as if he is chasing something? Hysterical! When I wake up with a cramp in my legs I wonder if I was chasing something or someone too all night!

Quote: Originally Posted by

Have you seen this book?
If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You, Valerie Shaff, Book - Barnes & Noble

Thanks! I'll check it out! I love books and stories told from the dog's perspective.

Just today I was fascinated as I watched a girl on the subway with her, yes, yellow lab. The dog was mesmerized looking at her. I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking. It was not a glazed look but one that had purpose, as if to say - where is my treat, where are we going, or let's play.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
....or....."If you only knew how much I smell you". It's a wonderful book with great photos of dogs! It's the eyes...the total adoration. Of course, I see it in cats too. Usually well-fed ones.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Trampoline? Sounds like fun! With my hula hoop on my trampoline I could really burn those calories!

and don't forget if you get a dog, you will have to go for a walk with the dog, will all of this, that will leave no time for us :)

Last Summer, I was bicycling in a parc and a german shepperd ran at me, growling and tried to bite my foot, it was very scary! so I hate to tell you this but it was him or me, so I kicked it on the muzzle and the dog immediately stopped chasing me, and the owner yeld at me, you crasy "b***h! I told him to keep his dog on a leash and this wouldn't had happened and he still giving me "s**t" so I took my cell and told him that I'm calling the police (I was bluffing) he left the parc quickly.

I wonder if it was a kid instead of me, this kid would have been traumatized.

·
Administrator
33,799 Posts
I'm almost 39. I'm not new to exercise. For about 11 years I have been doing tae-bo and step aerobics. I always hated jogging because of that winded feeling I would get so quickly. Not any more. YAY! Because I am usually so inactive otherwise, I really need a high intensity, calorie burning workout like jogging. nothing ever worked like jogging. Helped reduce the cellulite a lot. I couldnt believe it.

I went to a natural hygiene lecture years ago and the guy (Christpher D'Orta)said that "rebounding" trampoline workout is one of the best anti-aging, life
pro-longing workout one can do. I forget why though.

I will look into glucosamine too.
Skincarediva- I am a year older than you, and am a runner as well. I am going on my 17th year of running. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to take Glucosamine when you run. I take Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin every night. Also, the night before a long run, (anything over 5 miles) I take 3 motrin before bed. This helps me a ton. I have ran 6 marathons and dozens of half marathons. I will tell you, the older I get the harder it is to be able to run like I used too. You just have to listen to your body. Drink plenty of water!

Also, it is really important to have good shoes. I never wear the same shoes 2 days in a row. I alternate my shoes, and I also replace them often. Good support in your shoes also will help with sore knees. Make sure you stretch real good before you run and even more after you run. Very important!!!

The other thing I have found to help with ache joints is Knox Gelatin. Everytime I run a marathon, they pass out Knox in ready made packages, kind of like a gel form. It works in lubricating your joints. So at home, I will mix a package with warm water and drink it. It helps alot.

I hope this helps you a little. I really enjoy running and having ache joints is a real bummer. I feel your pain-

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You shouldn't need Glucosamine Sulphate after your runs.

There are several reasons why your knees would hurt.

Here are some of them;

It's important that you remember that you get fit to run, not run to get fit. The reason for this is that your body's mechanics aren't well adjusted when you're out of shape (this may or may not be the case for you), the problem is that many people start out running when they are overweight and they never develop proper running techniques, these improper running techniques are what lead to pain in the points of impact such as the ankles, the kness, and the hips. In other words, an individual that is overweight should start out on something with little to no impact to lose weight which adds stress to the joins, and to work on proper running techniques.

Another reason why knees can hurt is because of shitty shoes. The shoes are the only part of the body that touch the ground right, so it would make sense to spend a good amount of cash on a good pair. While it is usually said that price very rarely reflect the quality of the product, shoes, I find, are an exception. A good pair of shoes will run you anywhere from 100 to 250 dollars. You don't need to get a top of the line paid, but don't go for the $40 dollar special either.

The shoe needs to fit your running style and foot very closely. Some people run with more pressure on the insides of the foot, while others run with more pressure on the outsides. If your shoes put pressure on the wrong spots, it would be like pressing down on pressure points and cause refered pain (to your knees).

You need to warm up properly before jogging and walking before the run isn't enough so do a quick search online and see what you can find on pre-jog warmups.

If you find that you need to ice your knees or take supplements and such, talk to an associate in a specialized shoe store (here in Ottawa we have the running room), they are the best people to talk to when it comes to jogging (better than doctors even, since these people breath, sleep, and eat jogging).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Add Burpees into your rebounding for a kick *** work-out.
I did this yesterday and was spent afterwards.
Rebound 1-1.5 minutes and then drop down and do 5 burpees. Work your way up to 10 burpees. Continue this for 10 sessions (both rebounding and burpees.
Burpees have a sweet name but are tough.
I do the ultimate Burpees with the push-up.

Bodybuilding.com - Ross Enamait - Burpee Conditioning - No More Nonsense!

·
Administrator
33,799 Posts
Burpees are an amazing workout. Great full body conditioning-

For a real good workout, run the bleachers, then drop and do 5 burpees then get up and run the bleachers again-10 burpees, bleachers, 5 burpees, bleachers now that is what I call kickass!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts