Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goatlady, what do u use to remove waterproof sunscreen, or what do u suggest off the counter at the drugstore? i get clogged pores from my sunscreen so need something to take it all off

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
oops my SS isn't waterproof but my foundation is. Tried it. Then went over it with toner to see if there was residue left there was. I suppose there is a better solution out there?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I use 2 cleansers that seem to work well then I always use a toner after to be sure I get anything left over. I use Earth Science A-D-E cleanser ( the smokin' baby uses this one also ) which is GREAT. And Orjene Organics CoQ10 LoiveVitale which is a foaming cleaner that feels like cream. Then I tone after with a glycolic toner ( I have very oily skin ) when I tone there is no residue. I get the cleanser at Vitacost.com

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Oh the A-D-E is a natural fruit oil cleanser. Very cream as is the other cleanser.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I buy just about everything off the internet. I can't seem to find what I want at the drugstore. I haven't tried DHC yet but I think the Fawnster uses that one. I have been wanting to try it, but I need to use what I have on hand first. Running out of room

·
Registered
316 Posts
Jojoba oil will remove waterproof ss. BUT be sure to follow that with a good foaming cleanser because you need to cleanse the oil and ss mixture from your face. I use jojoba as a pre-cleanse and then follow up with Avene Cleanance Gel cleanser. I also do a swipe of Paula's Choice Skin Balancing toner with a exfoliating cotton pad afterwards, I never have any residue with this method and haven't gotten any breakouts.

·
Registered
316 Posts
u used jojoba oil too?
Yes I use it...but not every day, only when I'm wearing heavy makeup or waterproof ss. It's the best thing I've found for really deep cleaning the skin (followed by the foaming cleanser of course).

On days that my skin is dry I'll also add a few drops of jojoba to my moisturizer for an extra, non-comedogenic, moisturizing kick.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The jojoba oil (a wax, really) leaves me greasy. I find that Likas Papaya soap, a cheap but good old 'stand-by' removes all traces of my waterproof 60 spf sunblock effortlessly. With jojoba, I then need something to remove IT B4 I can apply my creams & the stuff is stubborn: Likas removes it, but why bother with an extra step?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ondine, not that you dont need it, but I always tell people to steer clear or any soaps or anything that you dont know hte pH level of, your cleanser needs to be a at a pH of between 3-5.5 to effectively clean and not strip your skins acid mantle, with soaps like kojic, likas or anyhting for that matter, their pH might be high but I guess thats not the case for you since your skin is in impeccable condition.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, bar soaps scare me but only because I'm acne prone and the ingredients 'holding' the bar together may cause acne (per Paula Begoun). The pH of them is also usually around 9 and I find them to be drying.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
[quote from Skinacea.com] 3) Virtually all UV filters are oil soluble, which means they are not removed by water. To completely remove sunscreen, it’s best to use an oil-based cleanser (milky/cream type cleansers or cleansing oils).
I don't know of any drugstore cleansing oils, LnL, but here's one that is pretty cheap:

GoW Cleansing Oil / 1 oz

Plain jojoba oil doesn't have an emulsifier to help it combine with and rinse off the sunscreen.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
fawnie, im using the Lumene Cleansing Oil, check it out on cvs.com, its pretty good and a $10 dollar alternative to the DHC
LNL, how long have you been using the Lumene? Is this the only oil cleansing you have tried, or have you tried others to compare it too?

I have never used one before and am curious-

·
Registered
316 Posts
I used to use DHC's deep cleansing oil but it was so expensive I couldn't keep it up. I found that pre-cleansing with jojoba and following with a foaming cleanser does the exact same thing, but in two steps. It's much cheaper this way. However, I have recently discovered the Lumene brand and like it - I've only tried the Blueberry Mascara, never the skin care. I'm always on the lookout for cheap oil cleansers.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have used hte Lumene Cleansing oil twice so far to remove my waterproof sunscreen at the end of the day, so far I must say that is completely broke down and washed away the sunscreen and deep cleaned the pores but I had to follow up with another cleanser - Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser then it was squeaky clean. My only fear (backed by so many reviews online) is that with prolonged use of an oil cleanser you can have clogged pores? LOL that seems like the opposite of it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
What do you think of using a glycolic toner after cleaning LnL? I have always loved the stuff especially having oily skin

1 - 20 of 40 Posts