Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh! Last week I would have sworn that all my fine lines and crowâ€2122s feet were disappearing, I would have been a great spokes person for Retin A and Skinceuticals and wham tonight I look like I aged 20 years. The lines and crowâ€2122s feet seem more intense than ever.

I also go once a month to a spa for either a peel or microdermabrasion and tonight I just feel like I am wasting money.

I hate aging.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
AWWW! I hear you! I think the difference between young skin and older skin (post 30) is that after 30 we have to start worrying about EVERYTHING we do affecting our skin! I used to go out drinking, smoking, tanning and stay out all night and look great, now any of those things would give me a "bad skin day"! I know what you mean though, I see lines go then come back, then go, then come back and there is no rhyme or reason to it. There have been days lately I have felt like, "YES! MY SKIN IS BACK!" then I wake up the next day and it looks dull and aged again.

I second hating aging!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder what that is all about, you think for 5 mins you are looking young again, and than WHAM you are back to being a wrinkled mess.

What is that all about. I still hate aging!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Chunch

Don't be downhearted. I think we all go thru Bad Face days! Many things have an impact on the skin, not just the products we put on it. Dehydration, fatigue, low protein intake, vitamin deficiency, hormonal changes, seasonal changes, increased sun or pollution exposure....

And even product overload! Maybe take a holiday from all the products every once in a while and go bare a day or two to "reset" the receptors in the skin and see if the products work better after that.

How long have you been using RA and C serum?
Maybe the C serum is oxidized and no longer effective. How long have you had it?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I really think it is like I said, a bit tired, not enough deep breathing, stress, a fatty meal, our skin is just infinitely more sensitive to these factors as it ages. BUT I do know exactly how you feel. It happend to me today! Yesterday my skin (body skin as that is my problem now) looked young and resiliant again and I thought--YAY IT IS WORKING!! (I even got complimented by a stranger yesterday on my "beautiful skin"). Then today I was out and looked at my skin and it was back to looking bad again! FOOTNOTE: two hours of sleep last night!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little over a year with the Retin A and Skinceuticals. I hear ya, but I think I am doing all the right things, I try to eat a lot of fruits, veggie and I take vitamins. I even drink a berry juice full of antioxidants.

I did just last week take a break from all the products and when I went back to them this past Monday my skin looked amazing with no lines etc. Then tonight I look so haggard.

I have always been someone who needs a lot of sleep 10 hours and I great and all I seem to get lately is 6 or 7.

I do not know why I can't let go and let myself age gracefully.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Never never never never never give up!!! (Winston Churchill)

Maybe hormones are coming into play here. So there is a fork in the road: Hormone replacement or not. Read up on it before making a decision. Some ppl think bioidentical hormone replacement is the thing, but others say it is "just as dangerous as" off-the-shelf hormone replacement.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
BECAUSE GETTING OLD SUCKS! Who wants to be old and wrinkled? If you did you would not be here! We are in a unique club of age-fighters!

I think, if it is a constellation, that when you go back on products you sometimes look worse first then better. It may just be a phase! I do think sleep matters though.

You would not believe the things I dream of though---winning the lottery and having my entire body resurfaced with deep TCA peels, full face laser, having skin like a baby's bottom and starting all over again!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Fawnie I am game for that bioidentical hormone replacement NOW and I am in my 30's still! I just think the sooner you start the more you stave off aging. I am a firm believer in bio-identicals!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Fawnie I am game for that bioidentical hormone replacement NOW and I am in my 30's still! I just think the sooner you start the more you stave off aging. I am a firm believer in bio-identicals!
Lexi
Are you using bioidenticals now, or thinking of it?
I am looking into it myself, altho finding a doctor to work with me here in Cowflop is next to impossible. Maybe in a major metropolitan area there would be a better chance.
Gymrat is working on them now in Cali with a Dr there. You could PM her if you are interested in learning more.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I knew Gymrat was considering it as she had pm med a while ago. I will PM her! I am not yet using it but strongly considering it. I may fly out to one of the doctors best known for it as once I know exactly what they are measuring and replacing I can actually run my own levels and get a friend who is an endocrinologist to prescribe whatever I need. I find it very promising and believe very much in hormone replacement (all hormones not just oestrogen) and also believe in somatatropin (HGH) hormone replacement too! I also think telomere aging, which we cannot control yet, has a lot to do with aging!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Argh! Last week I would have sworn that all my fine lines and crowâ€2122s feet were disappearing, I would have been a great spokes person for Retin A and Skinceuticals and wham tonight I look like I aged 20 years. The lines and crowâ€2122s feet seem more intense than ever.

I also go once a month to a spa for either a peel or microdermabrasion and tonight I just feel like I am wasting money.

I hate aging.
OMGoodness!! I totally understand where you are coming from. I haven't met a person yet who says "hey aging is awesome"! And I know you won't hear that come from me. I think aging SUCKS!! I think we just need to remember we are all still the same people on the inside. We can't control the aging process, but we certainly can try our best to prevent it from doing too much damage. Taking care of ourself internally and externally.

For myself, I took months and months looking into HRT (hormone replacement therapy), I read books, searched the net, attended seminars, etc. I decided to go with bio-identical hormones. I have just started with it all, but in just a week in a half, I feel 100% better!! I am 40 years old, but wish I would have started with this at 35!

Eating, sleeping and exercise is only a piece of what is important as we begin to age, taking vitamins and homone therapy is where it's at!! This includes men and woman.

Don't get down on yourself, but maybe see about getting in with your Dr -

Best of luck to you-

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I draw the line at HGH replacement! I don't think the risks outweigh the benefits for me.
I can understand this, many people feel the same. I have yet to see any studies which I think are convincing enough to say that the risks are unequivocal and this is well after years of following children who needed to take this for growth issues and adults who have taken this as well. The major risk is not that it causes cancer, which is generally believed, but more that it speeds up metastisisation of cancer when it is present. I myself would be a bit worried about taking HGH but after about 50 I would consider it because at that point I think for me, it would be about quality of life/good years that would tip the balance of risk/benefit ratio.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Haha, but the closer we get to the big 5-0 the less like "old" it looks!

Believe it or not.....and now this is revolutionary thinking here: people actually have fun after that age! Far as I can tell they have sex, dance, sing, wear great outfits, have teeth and hair, go places, are well-read and well-traveled, whoop it up and look fabulous!
Without the use of HGH or hormones even!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
OH FAWNIE!! I did not mean to say 50 is old--I HOPE NOT OR I ONLY HAVE 13 YEARS LEFT TO ENJOY LIFE (12.5 IF I AM HONEST). To the contrary, I meant that for me this would be the minimum age I would consider it because most research suggests that any potential damage caused by HGH or risks, are cumulative in nature and would take over a decade to become apparent (barring cancers which would be affected adversely by HGH which is why constant monitoring is needed). I figure at 50 I would rather be vibrant and recapture some youth than to worry that by 60 some major degenerative changes would be in full grip.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haha, but the closer we get to the big 5-0 the less like "old" it looks!

Believe it or not.....and now this is revolutionary thinking here: people actually have fun after that age! Far as I can tell they have sex, dance, sing, wear great outfits, have teeth and hair, go places, are well-read and well-traveled, whoop it up and look fabulous!
Without the use of HGH or hormones even!
Yep!

Funny how it doesn't seem that long ago I was 30 -35 and 50 seemed sooo far away. Now it's right around the corner - how'd that happen?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yep!

Funny how it doesn't seem that long ago I was 30 -35 and 50 seemed sooo far away. Now it's right around the corner - how'd that happen?
I just spoke to an old colleage--no pun intended there--and we were talking about how it seems like yesterday we were working in Copenhagen in our 20's--and it really does--and now suddenly we are both late 30's nearing the 40 mark!
I think after 25 you have lived enough years that with each passing year a year seems like a shorter span of time, I guess it is perspective. I remember being a child and WISHING for time to pass to my birthdays and now I dread them!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I knew Gymrat was considering it as she had pm med a while ago. I will PM her! I am not yet using it but strongly considering it. I may fly out to one of the doctors best known for it as once I know exactly what they are measuring and replacing I can actually run my own levels and get a friend who is an endocrinologist to prescribe whatever I need. I find it very promising and believe very much in hormone replacement (all hormones not just oestrogen) and also believe in somatatropin (HGH) hormone replacement too! I also think telomere aging, which we cannot control yet, has a lot to do with aging!
Lexi, before you start popping the HGH, you really need to have your levels checked. I did a very intense saliva, urine, and blood tests. The saliva/urine test is the key!! That breaks everything down for you, because the saliva is taken through out the day. Then after my results were in, my Endocrine set up a plan of attack for me. HGH, isn't one that I take!! So be careful taking something without having things checked out first. You don't want to end up with a beard and chest hair-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts