Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I was getting ready to order ingredients for the c serum on here and was doing a little more research and decided to go with this serum posted on EDS from Kassy
Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
15% C,E + FA with HA (New 6/23/09)

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
3 tsp Distilled H2O
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp vodka
1/8 tsp Vitamin E or Rosehip Oil
1/2 tsp Hyaluronic Acid Serum (NCN has a really nice 2oz serum, that is compatible with this recipe, and is also great for an LED serum)

Use 2 little glasses.

Phase 1 glass (water)

Put L-AA in glass, add water, stir frequently and let it fully dissolve. Depending where you buy it, that can take up to an hour.. *Lotioncrafters dissolves quickly I hear*.. (If, and only if, after 60 minutes it's still gritty, you can sit the glass in a warm water bath for a minute, and stir, stir, stir.

Phase 2 glass (oil/emulsifying)

While you are waiting for the L-AA to dissolve, you can proceed with the rest like so. Put the FA in the 2nd glass, pour the vodka in and stir, now add the SKB. Mix this together, and put it in the microwave for 6ish seconds. When you take it out it should be whitish and serumy.. Give it a stir, add the oil and stir + add the glycerin and stir..

Phase 3 (putting it all together)

When the L-AA has fully dissolved, add the contents of both glasses together, stir well, and add the HA in now and stir well..

You should have an opaque off white serum when you are finished, with a consistency similar to a syrup (minus the stickiness ) If you use Rosehip Oil, you will start off with a bit darker color (great oil though!)

*For anyone that is using an HA powder, you will 1st have to make it into a liquid, or it will just ball up.. *

*Please don't be tempted to add more L-AA.. It will only wind up in your toilet bowl.. Our skin can only absorb so much* Besides, it will give you a load of grief trying to dissolve it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I didn't want to have to long of a thread but here are my details

I ordered from NCN
Hyaluronic serum $48
SKB 8 oz $25
SHipping $10.10

Skinactives
Ferulic Acid 5 g $9.50
Shipping $6

I have the NOW Ascobic Acid and I think it was about $9 (I find this stuff dissolves pretty easily).
Glycerin I have I think it was about $9
Vodka I need to get
Vitamin E is derme 28000 IU vitamine E skin oil from my local health store at $9.

So w/o the vodka I have about $206.6 invested right now. I'm sure it will come out better but the start up is a little high. Let you all know how my formulating goes and DH reaction when another box comes in the mail.

I don't know why I chose this one. Looked the easiest b/c everything is measured out in tsp and I didn't have to worry about pinches or cc's.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
It does look good, but I don't like glycerin or HA in my serum for summer. I'll have to wait til winter to try this one. The SKB gives it enough moisture for me. Glycerin should be cheaper than $9 at a pharmacy I think.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Fawnie my thoughts too, not a fan of the glycerin and especially not right now with this heat wave!! Supposed to be 108 here tomorrow. I think I will run and hide until September-

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the glycerin was cheaper. I can't remember, I bought it quite awhile ago. THat helped also on the costs is I had a few things I bought awhile ago.

Fawnie-you may know this, why wasn't Kassy's 5/2009 serum a favorite on EDS? Actually I went to read more information on it and didn't even see that recipe as one? I found 1 very close but not the same.

I live in the desert, well not really. It is incredibly dry here. We have a humidity monitor and the winter it is in the 26% range so we try to increase it to at least 40 with a humidifier, it has to run day and night to accomplish that and this summer it's in the 30% range but we cool the house with a swamp cooler which helps tremendously. Maybe this is why I love slathering oil on my face so much b/c it soaks it up like a sponge.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got my ingredients!!! YEAH. So now I'm debating which recipe to make. Probably not until Sunday or Monday. I just made a batch of the simple recipe not sure if they would come today.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also wanted to ask if there are any ingredients that should be refridgerated? Hylaronic acid serum? sea kelp? The labels didn't say they should be but just in case.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to make the 6/23 recipe first. It's really not that "greasy" with all that glycerin. It turned out a milky white solution just as the instructions said and the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. It really sunk in better than the c,water,glycerin mixture. Im still going to try Kassy's 5/2009 recipe next time I mix.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I also wanted to ask if there are any ingredients that should be refridgerated? Hylaronic acid serum? sea kelp? The labels didn't say they should be but just in case.
Dash, I refrig all my ingredients except my glycol to keep them fresh. But as long as they are kept cool and dark it should be OK. Sometimes refrigerator real estate is at a premium, as Mireckca says!

I don't know what Kassy's other recipe didn't get all the love it deserved.
Many ppl do like it, so try it and see!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I know why I don't find the glycerin too much. We're in peak irrigation season and the humidity was still only 12% last night, 19% today. I haven't lived here through a winter but if it's that dry with water spraying all over the place whats it to be this winter? I'll be taking baths in oil.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Is the vodka in the recipe the same vodka that you drink? just wondering
Yep same as the kind you drink-

Absolute peppar vodka Fawnie? Bloody Mary's your cocktail of choice?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just made a new batch for myself, and wanted to see what the addition of Jojoba Oil (really a wax ester) does.. I love the feel of this, and it penetrates quickly..

In case anybody wants to try, this is what I used; (instructions are the same for the 2 phases posted in the other recipe's.)

15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

Here's what it looks like finished; (Creamy whitish and opaque, with a nice serumy texture.) Many of you have PM'd asking what the serums I make look like, so now you have it..

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Yep, Im a visual learner-
Thanks I will have to try this. Love jojoba so thats a plus there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The terror is still alive and well ... I just get bored with the same old avatar, and like to change it up. Don't you like my sunrise :-( LOL!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts