Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Keloid scars.......what are the best creams/gels available for them
i'm brown and my scar is a darker shade of brown then me on my chest and quite long....think of the map of africa stretched out sum what....thats what it looks like .......if anyone knows about dermatix gel and if it really helps then reply ........i'm going to try it out and see if it works but wanted to know if anyone has used it before and could tell me about their experiences with it....

i would especially like to hear from other people suffering from keliod scars share you're experience let it out! it's all good.

thnkx:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Diamond -
Yup, cortisone creams or injections are your best bet on these hypertrophic scars. I hope you're able to find one that works for you. Good luck with that, and let us know if you try the Dermatix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have personaly used a product called silkses moisturizing protector. It has a long list of ingredients which i dont completley understand, but it works good on the scars by lightening them and regenerating the skin. Best of all it doesnt irritate the skin at all, which is a plus especially if they hurt and itch.

I got mine from amazon, however the best descirption is probably available from Sesderma (manufacture)

Let us know how the dermatix workd out for you,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks and i wanted to ask you what the results where when you used that cream i mean did the colour reduce that is whats enoying me the most the colour its a stark contrast to the rest of my skin

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
DO NOT get Kenalog (steroid) injections. They literally eat the rest of the flesh around there. Ask a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to use 5-FU or 5-flourarouracil. It is cutting edge and causes less lipatrophy (fat) and skin atrophy. I can give you articles to show your doctor if you want. I too have a scarring issue which I had treated with Kenalog 10 and then 40 with disastrous results. It has finally filled in (I had a hole after treatments) but then it rebounded and 5-FU saved me. I now am considering full face laser to get rid of the scarring (external) as I had broken my jaw bone in an accident and under my jaw they made a mess and since I do not want to be multi-coloured I will need to do a full face to improve the appearance. BUT the keloid is gone though I am still treating for some subcutaneous scarring (scarring under the skin between the bones and the skin).

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive been getting kenalog shots for years and ive had no bad results...i think it depends on the skill of the doctor....but i do like the idea of the 5 FU...i just read about it..
DO NOT get Kenalog (steroid) injections. They literally eat the rest of the flesh around there. Ask a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to use 5-FU or 5-flourarouracil. It is cutting edge and causes less lipatrophy (fat) and skin atrophy. I can give you articles to show your doctor if you want. I too have a scarring issue which I had treated with Kenalog 10 and then 40 with disastrous results. It has finally filled in (I had a hole after treatments) but then it rebounded and 5-FU saved me. I now am considering full face laser to get rid of the scarring (external) as I had broken my jaw bone in an accident and under my jaw they made a mess and since I do not want to be multi-coloured I will need to do a full face to improve the appearance. BUT the keloid is gone though I am still treating for some subcutaneous scarring (scarring under the skin between the bones and the skin).

·
Registered
5 Posts
try this: get some seabuckthornberry co2 extract and some rosehipseed oil co2 extract, try varying amounts from 2-10% in some (tamanu, fractionated coc. oil, avocado oil,mac.nut oil,primrose)(you choose your oils..but only 10%of each) . you would need to bring the oils to heat to about 175*f. , then as it cools down, add approx. 10% Helichrisysum (sp)e.o.,make sure to preserve it with germal plus or other one.
this is very effective for scarring.
Hope this helps. I'm sure you can make this easier than I did. I just like those particular oils.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I got bad hypertrophic scarring from my tummy tuck and the subsequent revisions. I didn't use mederma... but finally they flattened and are now faded and flat. A true keloid is worse than a hypertrophic scar, however. I hope you can get the help you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had bad keloid scars from a tummy tuck, and was treated with steroid injections (i'm not aware of what steroid they used though) The keloid scars definitely flattened out, but! I was left with darkened skin where the shots were done. And the darkening is not on the outer layer but looks like its from within the deeper layers of the skin. So instead of keloid scars, I now have dark lines on my pelvis and around my belly button. Ive tried hydroquinone to lighten the dark scars but hasn't really worked, because as I said, the darkening looks like its the 2nd or 3rd layer under the skin. Any advice how to treat these? I've asked my dermatologist and she said there really isn't anything that can help the darkening caused by steroid injections. (but im hoping she might be wrong) I'm now forced to use concealer everyday on my tummy and belly button, and i cant really swim anymore. If anyone has any advice, i'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I also had bad keloid scars from a tummy tuck, and was treated with steroid injections (i'm not aware of what steroid they used though) The keloid scars definitely flattened out, but! I was left with darkened skin where the shots were done. And the darkening is not on the outer layer but looks like its from within the deeper layers of the skin. So instead of keloid scars, I now have dark lines on my pelvis and around my belly button. Ive tried hydroquinone to lighten the dark scars but hasn't really worked, because as I said, the darkening looks like its the 2nd or 3rd layer under the skin. Any advice how to treat these? I've asked my dermatologist and she said there really isn't anything that can help the darkening caused by steroid injections. (but im hoping she might be wrong) I'm now forced to use concealer everyday on my tummy and belly button, and i cant really swim anymore. If anyone has any advice, i'd really appreciate it.
I'm so sorry you ended up with keloids. My last TT revision was in 2004 and the scar is still pink. I wish it was totally white, but I know it will be in time. At least it's FLAT now, instead of raised and itchy like it was for nearly 2 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Ialso have an embarassing scar due to heart surgery. After numerous steriod treatments was given dermatix by plastic surgeon. He said within a week i would see a difference. Iwas very dubious. But after five days i noticed it wasnt bright red anymore. I continued for three months. I now have a flat faded scar, its still very wide but there is nothing that can be done for that. I continue to use this twice a year for a month period. Good luck and i hope this has been useful for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi,

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate it.. I'll give dermatix a try and hopefully it can help fade the darkness from the steroid shots..

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Let me give an alternate opinion---go to a doctor that can give you a 5-FU shot. It is 5-flourouracil and is the preferred method of reducing scar tissue now. Kenalog (triamcinolone acetonide which is a steroid), which was and remains more widely used, causes atrophy of both normal and scar tissue. 5-FU simply reverses abnormal collagenisis (collagen production). It is a bit more painful as it burns going in but works much better and more targetted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts