Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I believe I may have "Keratosis Pilaris" and I would have liked to have posted a link to this subject but I don't think I'm allowed to so if you want to know more you will have to Google it.

I'm looking for people who may have this condition to compare notes etc

Cheers

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hi,

I believe I may have "Keratosis Pilaris" and I would have liked to have posted a link to this subject but I don't think I'm allowed to so if you want to know more you will have to Google it.

I'm looking for people who may have this condition to compare notes etc

Cheers
I looked up "Keratosis Pilaris" on Wikipedia and note it mentioned there is no cure but treatments include using a loofa to remove dead skin. Also alpha-hydroxy and Retin-A is recommended as well as antibiotics.

I have a skin problem and the meds given me by doctors has not done any good -- so I'm experimenting myself and note that topical applications of glycolic acid, high percentage of benzol peroxide help. I'm in the process of getting either alpha-hydroxy or Retin-A. good luck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the skin problem too, no cure but somethings may help. I use KP duty lotion and KP body scrub in areas where i have the KP. For body wash, i use oil of olay body butter plus. for other parts of my body where there is no KP, i use cetaphil lotion for dry and sensitive skin. I never go a day without using the neutrogena body oil all over my body. My KP is not completely gone but i"ve sure seen major improvements. I never had any type of skin problems till my twenties, now i have KP and other issues. good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all,

I was told by my Dermalogica therapist that this condition, whereby your skin doesn't shed dead skin cells properly, can block pores and make them appear bigger, does anyone know if this is true?

Tashalp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if that is true or not but it could definitely be a possibility however I would have thought regular washing would remove the dead cells?

I've still got the problem and all I can do is put "stuff" on to prevent infection.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not sure if that is true or not but it could definitely be a possibility however I would have thought regular washing would remove the dead cells?

I've still got the problem and all I can do is put "stuff" on to prevent infection.
The KP condition happens because the dead skin cells DON'T shed causing them to build up so what would work for regular skin doesn't apply here. It takes a lot more diligence and effort to get rid of the build up.

Have you tried a humidifier? I think that may alleviate the dry build up. And as everyone is saying. AHA wash and lotion and loofah and exfoliating is all you can really do. What did the dermatologist say? Good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had been living (ignoring) this condition for over 30 years. KP is hereditary, and its a skin condition without cure. Just a couple of months ago, my sister had mentioned, she had used something and it made the bumps go away. My quest had then been rejuvenated.

What I've found thru more research that worked for me is... exfoliate really well using a buff puff or something similar. (loofah, scrubbing mitts, scrubbies don't work as well) something that can scrub finer is better. You don't have to use any AHA products but perhaps it'll help but since you wash the stuff off anyways, very little tend to stick. The most important ingredient... coconut oil! I use the solid coconut oil from a local E. Indian market. You can get it at almost any Indian market. It is less than $5 for 250ml jar. The one I bought was Kissan. It doesn't have a smell at all. I use it after exfoliating while I'm in the shower. I don't rinse it off tho. I use the leftover on my hands to moisturize my legs and my hands and then I exit the shower. By the time I leave the shower, my arms have absorbed all the oil and my arms are not oily at all. The results are immediate but you have to be consistent. I do this EVERYDAY without fail since I've worked it into my morning routine. There are other forums regarding KP. Many have recommended coconut oil as well. If you are unsure, go buy the cheapest one. Mine is just pure coconut oil, made by Kissan that comes in a clear jar and costs less than $5. I've found organic ones for more than double the price of the one I am using but the cheap one works why pay more. I did put some of the oil into a plastic baby food container to have in the shower. Oily glass jars and bathtubs are not friends. If you don't want to use it in the shower, use it when you get out. I use it in the shower so I can rinse my hands. My sister uses it when she gets out... no difference in the results.

·
Administrator
33,768 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting. That is great info- and yes I understand the jars and the shower not being friends!! Have broke many things in my shower-

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most Walmarts now sell a Coconut oil in a jar inexpensively too. It's usually by the cooking oils, and a different brand by the vitamins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the worst possible case of KP ever to exist basically. *sigh*. There's really nothing you can so about it when it's as bad as mine is. Moisturizer is the only thing to make it appear less red. Don't waste your time and money on prescription creams because they don't work.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the worst possible case of KP ever to exist basically. *sigh*. There's really nothing you can so about it when it's as bad as mine is. Moisturizer is the only thing to make it appear less red. Don't waste your time and money on prescription creams because they don't work.
If you don't mind me asking, what are the things you have done? You're right about the moisturizer, that really helps. KP dermadoctor lotion and scrub was what gave me the best results, have you tried that? Using oils when you have this skin problem is a also a must. Mine was really bad but I can tell you that the ones on the back of my hands and thighs are completely gone, they just vanished, i just have a few spots on my back that is hardly noticeable. I started using retin-a all over my body 3 months ago and that seems to help with fading the left over on my back. Please don't give up, when there is a will, there is a way

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oil-Pulling is said to work. I'll give a try once i find some damn sesame oil.
Do you mean the method of pulling oil between your teeth? I tried it, but it didn't do anything...it was rather nauseating in fact.

AmLactin....LacHydrin....any good lactic acid cream will help exfoliate the bumps around the hair follicle and flatten the little suckers. Be sure to loofah too!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Have you tried it?
there are reviews on youtube to those that have tried...
Tell me how that is supposed to work if you are drawing oil in your mouth for a condition that does not allow for proper exfoliating of your skin and therefore your pores get clogged? I'm sorry but please provide me a scientific explanation as to how these two would be related? ... and how doing one would directly affect the condition?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts