Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about land snail secretions and their ability to 'digest' the extra keratin produced by sufferers of KP. My daughter has KP bad. Does anyone know what the name of a label/product that they would recomended which contains the land snail serum/mucus/secretion. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey fawnie what would you recoment for kb. this is what i been doing st.ives for scrubing then i put some bengay i only have this problem in my upper arms.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey sorry i dint respond. I dont know really, it brings down the little bumps. What im doing rite now its olive oil with salt as a scrub then after i put on some cetaphil lotion its an ultra hydrating lotin it has lots of good ingredients. i seen lots of improvments so far

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bengay?? Use alpha hydroxy cleanser and gentle scrubs, thick lotions, humidifier in the bedroom to keep the air moist.
Yes absolutely. You need to use a product that has at least 10% Alpha Hydroxy. I love Serious Serum | Ingrown Hair Eliminator & Skin Exfoliant. I have suffered from KP since I was 13. The Serious serum works beautifully. It will gently exfoliate your skin and not clog. You want to avoid harsh scrubs as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
AmLactin is the best stuff on the market. your DD needs a product that will heal and not simply moisturize. this stuff doesn't smell pleasant and is the downside, but it WILL heal the KP in about two weeks. active ingredient is 12% lactic acid neutralized with ammonium hydroxide. it is #1 Dermatologist and Podiatrist recommended. GL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
There currently is no "cure" for KP but as everyone has mentioned a possible solution to your current outbreak. Everyone may have a different reaction and if you feel your case is severe see your Dermatologist for an as needed mid-strength topical steroid cream.
A lot of work being done to find a "cure" so hopefully help is on the way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There currently is no "cure" for KP but as everyone has mentioned a possible solution to your current outbreak. Everyone may have a different reaction and if you feel your case is severe see your Dermatologist for an as needed mid-strength topical steroid cream.
A lot of work being done to find a "cure" so hopefully help is on the way.
You're absolutely correct about KP is not curable. At least not for now. That is why, I wrote AmLactin "healed" my KP. Still, I trust a product that is dermatologist recommended, and has that standard to back it up. Actually, AmLaction used to be by prescription. I would recommend the OP to give it a shot before paying a derm's fee. Its unfortunate some people don't have the luxury or finances to visit a physician. If that were the case, she or he wouldn't had consulted the board about this problem.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Retin-A (tretinoin) may be safer to use than steroids for KP and will get at the root cause of the problem: the build up of keratin.

"Tretinoin, most commonly sold under the trade name Retin-A, is a topical retinoid medically approved in the treatment of acne. This medicine works by causing the outer layer of the skin to grow more rapidly, which decreases the amount of the protein keratin in the skin. As a result, the surface layer of the skin becomes thinner and pores are less likely to become blocked, reducing the occurrence of symptoms related to acne. As keratosis pilaris is manifested through excess keratin in the skin, Tretinoin forms a more effective and core approach to treatment than Triamcinolone, which forms a largely symptomatic approach. Tretinoin is typically applied once a day before bed.

An alternative treatment is Adapalene, a retinoid medication that is a more stable compound, is less sunlight-sensitive, has fewer general side-effects, and may be just as effective as Retin-A. Treatment of KP with Adapalene would be considered an "off-label" use of the medication."
quote from:
Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Michael Paltiel, M.D. P.C. :: Dermatological Services :: Keratosis pilaris

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have mild case on left upper arm; right arm very few signs. However they are like clogged pores and I can pinch sebum out of them. Is this the KP or something else?
I think my skin has a hard time exfoliating; same on the face. I have clogged pores as well. It's very frustrating and I cannot control it. It is worse during the Summer months.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have mild case on left upper arm; right arm very few signs. However they are like clogged pores and I can pinch sebum out of them. Is this the KP or something else?
I think my skin has a hard time exfoliating; same on the face. I have clogged pores as well. It's very frustrating and I cannot control it. It is worse during the Summer months.
this is KP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to a derm, a few in fact, none of them were able to help me with mine. I have it on the sides of the arms and all over my legs. But mine will itch at times cause of a medication one doc gave me that caused it to "break". I have scarring all over my body cause of that crap!

While doing some research i came across this: AcneFree Severe Acne Treatment System

Does it work?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I went to a derm, a few in fact, none of them were able to help me with mine. I have it on the sides of the arms and all over my legs. But mine will itch at times cause of a medication one doc gave me that caused it to "break". I have scarring all over my body cause of that crap!

While doing some research i came across this: AcneFree Severe Acne Treatment System

Does it work?
It's a condition where there is no cure. My doctor just looked at it and said it's hereditary... nothing more. I've had it since I was young, I'm now 41. I only have it on the sides of my arms. This is what I do...
Exfoliate with a buffpuff when you are in the shower. I use bodywash and a buffpuff and scrub. Afterwards, I apply coconut oil on the areas. I do it in the shower while I'm still wet. My sister puts the coconut oil on after she steps out of the shower. KP is when your skin is not capable of exfoliating skin in a normal fashion. It gets stuck and starts to clog the pores. The buffpuff does a great job at sluffing off that skin. The coconut oil is a good moisturizer. I have been doing this for about 8 months now. The dark pigmentation from years of this condition has diminished substantially. I just use regular coconut oil like Kissan. It's about $5 for a jar. You'll notice the difference almost immediately. For under $10, it is definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
502 Posts
coconut oil you can cook with. Aparently, the virgin CO you can't but there isn't ANYTHING else in coconut oil but coconut oil. Lotion has coconut oil + a bunch of other stuff like emulsifiers, water, preservatives, blah blah. If you don't like CO, you can use olive oil or jojoba oil or almond oil. Ultimately, you need to do 2 things.
1. Exoliate to keep the dead skin from clogging your pores
2. Moisturize to slow down your skin from drying and exfoliating and clogging.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts